• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The bird garden. Tony Soper (1 Viewer)

Tony Soper`s series "Discovering Birds" inspired me when I was becoming interested in the natural world in the early `80s. I have the videos, and whenever I watch them, and listen to the evocative accompanying music, I never fail to be transported back to my Hampshire boyhood in the 1980s, and reminded of some of the best days of my life.
Welcome aboard, Tony, and glad to know you are well!

Tony Soper is a legend for the wildlife film genre, similar to David Attenborough. But in contrast to Attenborough Soper seems to have a quiet life with his 94 years. In 2021, Soper published his last book The Antarctic Ditty Bag.

Last edited:
Yep, he played a big part in myself becoming interested in birds... my first bird book, given to me by my elderly neighbour when I was 7, was the Bird Table Book (first edition 1965). Not sure how old Tony Soper is, but maybe he's enjoying the quiet life.
cheers,
Andy
Yes that book was a huuuuuge influence on me, I loved it! Used to pore over it, inspired me to put seed out on our snowy lawn during a very harsh winter early 80s, and the finch mumbers increased and increased! Happy days. 🤩🐦
Glad to hear he's still with us. 🙂

I remember seeing Tony Soper give a talk at the old Capital Theatre in Horsham, West Sussex where I grew up back in the 1970s. A great presenter in his heyday and like others who have contributed to this thread, he was a big influence on my early birding/wildlife ventures. Good on you Tony.

Si

Users who are viewing this thread

Back