• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds tamed me, I didn't tame them (1 Viewer)

txpossum

United States
I lived in Montana and I had the most trusting of birds. First were the Northern chickadees... they would follow me as I walked through the woods. At one point someone from the electric company come by, and a chickadee came over and was swinging on the metal stems of my glasses. Another time pygmy nuthatches who bred in my bird boxes landed on my hand when I was carrying peanut halves; they both grabbed the same peanut, and were sawing back and forth. "Guys, guys, there are plenty of peanuts!" Then one morning I put out my peanut halves and a white-breasted nuthatch came out of nowhere and plopped down on my hand to eat. I love Texas , but I sure do miss those Montana birds!

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi txpossum and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We don't seem to hear too much about the Pygmy Nuthatch for some reason.... sounds like you really had a wonderful place in Montana. Texas must have some great birds too though LOL... I mean... they boast of everything being big there, don't they? ;)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I live on a ranch east of Austin, and one morning I looked out at my stock tank and there were four storks and a roseate spoonbill wading around. The spoonbill was so cool! We live under a flyway heading down to the coast (which is about 5 hours away). I love it when the whooping cranes fly overhead - so exciting!! This seems like a wonderful forum for sharing stories and learning things!

My Dad was an avid birder! He taught me to love birds. When I was about six he took us on a trip out west. Every time he saw a new bird he'd hit the brakes and yell "did you see that?!!" (this was before seat belts). Once I removed my face from the back of the passenger seat I got to see a brand new bird. Exciting, but painful. :confused:

Hi there and a warm welcome to you (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back