• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds & wildlife of Gateshead (4 Viewers)

It swam off slowly as I stopped and got the phone out, I was cycling and coming to the old rail bridge before turning onto banks court, tide was high.

5:40pm ish......

I got one pic as it got further away but it's rubbish....can't make it out.

I was only 20-30ft away when I stopped too, black and white, black top on head, thin upturned bill.....couldn't be anything else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 111
Hi salty
how you doing mate, what time and where did you get the avocet on the tyne? Don't know if you know but it's the first avocet recorded in Gateshead! don't suppose you got any record shots of it i can have? If you have can you email them to me [email protected].

Cheers
steven fryer

I didn't realise that Steven!

I've added a pic with a pin where I was....the bush to the right/front of the pin is sort of in the pic with the bird too.

I often see interesting birds while out cycling (I do loops of the Tyne 4-5 times a week) but without scopes/bins and just my phone camera it's usually too far to get a snap but this was so close, I sort of knew it wasn't common but took me a minute to actually wake up and get the bloody phone out!

20ft away the bird wasn't spooked it just didn't like me stopping and floated off slowly....I must admit I should of maybe followed it back the way I came but it headed towards the centre of the water heading East and the light was rubbish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
As per latest Birdwatching magazine, a Lesser Whitethroat has been wintering at Ryton. The photo on the letters page isn't quite good enough to tell if its a Siberian type, but must be a chance with others wintering elsewhere in the country.

Mark

As per latest Birdwatching magazine, a Lesser Whitethroat has been wintering at Ryton. The photo on the letters page isn't quite good enough to tell if its a Siberian type, but must be a chance with others wintering elsewhere in the country.

Mark

Oh that's interesting, if you hear anymore news i wouldn't mind being informed ;
Cheers
steve

I didn't realise that Steven!

I've added a pic with a pin where I was....the bush to the right/front of the pin is sort of in the pic with the bird too.

I often see interesting birds while out cycling (I do loops of the Tyne 4-5 times a week) but without scopes/bins and just my phone camera it's usually too far to get a snap but this was so close, I sort of knew it wasn't common but took me a minute to actually wake up and get the bloody phone out!

20ft away the bird wasn't spooked it just didn't like me stopping and floated off slowly....I must admit I should of maybe followed it back the way I came but it headed towards the centre of the water heading East and the light was rubbish.

Cheers for the update salty
cheers
steve

An invitation to On Red Kite Wings - a Celebration at Sage Gateshead

Like many BirdForum members, we celebrate our work with our avian friends.
The poster gives details and both our website and that of Sage Gateshead give
all the information about the programme and the Booking procedure.

Do come - it will be a great day!!

Attachments

• ORKWINGS Poster.JPG
    ORKWINGS Poster.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 83
Green Woodpecker

Lovely close views of a Green Woodpecker at Ryton Willows just now. Have always wanted to see one this close to home.

Kite Watch Sunday 8 June 2014

It's Kite Watch time again - and you are all invited!

Bring the whole family and a picnic; we are celebrating our double Anniversary!

Here are the details and the map shows how to get to Kite Hill.

Attachments

• Anniversary Kite Watch 2014.JPG
    Anniversary Kite Watch 2014.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 79
  • Anniversary Kite Watch_ map 2014.jpg
    Anniversary Kite Watch_ map 2014.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 85
Grayling

In the past I have only managed to get shots of these butterflies on the ground. Today I got lucky, I managed to get them mating:D

Attachments

• DSC_9248.jpg
    DSC_9248.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_9251.jpg
    DSC_9251.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_9323.jpg
    DSC_9323.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_9345.jpg
    DSC_9345.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 71
Non Birds

Kibblesworth Brick pools today. Dragonflies, Emperor, 4 Sp. Chaser, Black Tailed Skimmer, Common Darter. Butterflies, Sm Heath, Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Common Blue, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood and Small Tortoiseshell. A couple of shots from today.

Attachments

• 4 Spotted Chaser20150630KibblesworthIMG_3757.jpg
    4 Spotted Chaser20150630KibblesworthIMG_3757.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Black Tailed Skimmer.jpg
    Black Tailed Skimmer.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back