• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds & wildlife of Gateshead (2 Viewers)

Lamesley

Some shots from Lamesley today. Juvenile Peregrine put all the birds up including these Black-Tailed Godwit. Didn't see the Ruff I was probably in the wrong place.

Attachments

• DSC_1913.jpg
    DSC_1913.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_1915.jpg
    DSC_1915.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_1939.jpg
    DSC_1939.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_1949.jpg
    DSC_1949.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_1950.jpg
    DSC_1950.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 84
Black Darters

Stargate Ponds have had Black darters for a few years now. But I have only seen males here and usually older males not ones that have recently emerged. I wonder if they are coming in from a different site nearby and not coming off the Stargate ponds? Has anyone seen a female at this site or witnessed one oviposting?
An old Male from last week.

Attachments

• Black Darter (M)03092013Stargate Ponds N.jpg
    Black Darter (M)03092013Stargate Ponds N.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 80
2014 Red Kite survey - your help is needed

2014 Red Kite Breeding Survey

Friends of Red Kites (FoRK) are planning a survey of breeding red kites in the north east of England next spring and early summer. The aim of the survey is to establish the number of breeding pairs of red kites in Durham and Northumberland, including the areas of North and South Tyneside and Cleveland. FoRK already have a very strong monitoring team but would like to enlist the help of additional volunteers to carry out a more comprehensive survey.

Ideally, the survey will involve visiting potential breeding sites at least twice a month from the beginning of February to the end of June, although once evidence of breeding has been confirmed, visits will reduce significantly, and be made from a distance, to reduce disturbance.

Where possible, surveyors will be allocated a location close to their home patch.

Survey guidance notes and training, which will include a field visit to a local territory, will be available for those who require it.

Contact Ken Sanderson, mobile 07779413471, or email [email protected] for more information and to register your interest.

If you are interested but feel you cannot commit to the full survey then please still contact us, as any help, however much, will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sanderson

Chairman & Kite Officer
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Red Kite Roost Watch

A great opportunity to watch as up to 55 red kites come in to their winter roost in Gateshead's Derwent Country Park.

The attached poster gives all the details.

See you there!

Attachments

• Roost Watch 18 Jan 14.JPG
    Roost Watch 18 Jan 14.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 82

Attachments

• Long Tail Tit03032014Clara Vale N.jpg
    Long Tail Tit03032014Clara Vale N.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 68
  • Song Thrush03032014Clara Vale N.jpg
    Song Thrush03032014Clara Vale N.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Water Rail.jpg
    Water Rail.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Teal (M)03032014Far Pasture1564.jpg
    Teal (M)03032014Far Pasture1564.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Yellow Hammer.jpg
    Yellow Hammer.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 61
Clara vale

Kingfisher showed well for about 20 minutes at Clara vale on Friday morning while I was there.

Attachments

• IMG_7017 resized.jpg
    IMG_7017 resized.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7072 resized.jpg
    IMG_7072 resized.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7158 resized.jpg
    IMG_7158 resized.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 81
Far pastures today, lots if singing from chiff chaffs as I watched the red kites and a pair of displaying buzzards.

Kingfisher showed well too.

Please look out for kites in...................

..........the Lobley Hill area. We have reliable sightings of kites here and above Lobley Hill Primary School.

We need to know if they are establishing a territory somewhere in that area.

Many thanks,

June Atkinson
Press & Publicity

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Avocet on the Tyne

It makes me want to burst into song, Salty!!!

Great news! Avocets are beautiful birds aren't they!
I remember seeing them when they first established nests at Washington Wildfowl Trust, where they seem to be doing very well.

To have them establish a colony on the Tyne would be wonderful, but they are small slender (feisty) birds and there are dangers up-river.

Single avocet on the Tyne at blaydon today

Yeah dont recall seeing one here before.

I was cycling and slammed on the brakes as I saw it in the water only about 15-20ft away....as I got my phone out to take a pic it swam off slowly but too fast for me so I only got the back of it.

Black and white and upturned skinny bill was unmistakably avocet.

Yeah dont recall seeing one here before.

I was cycling and slammed on the brakes as I saw it in the water only about 15-20ft away....as I got my phone out to take a pic it swam off slowly but too fast for me so I only got the back of it.

Black and white and upturned skinny bill was unmistakably avocet.

Hi salty
how you doing mate, what time and where did you get the avocet on the tyne? Don't know if you know but it's the first avocet recorded in Gateshead! don't suppose you got any record shots of it i can have? If you have can you email them to me [email protected].

Cheers
steven fryer

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back