• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50 is the Big Aperture Habicht you have been dreaming about! (1 Viewer)

A possible alternative to the Fujinon x50's are the somewhat rare, and now discontinued, Pentax PIF's
They were also available in 10x50 and 7x50 and were significantly larger and heavier than the Fuji's!
However, they had the advantage of smaller diameter eyepieces, and so may be more adaptable to those with wider noses

See the images from a review by [email protected] at: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/367903-first-impressions-of-pentax-pif-10x50/
The images compare: the Pentax PIF 10x50, the Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50, and; the Nikon SE 10x42

John
Interesting. They must have HUGE prisms to be larger than the Fujinons! I would imagine they are hard to find even on eBay. I would bet the Nikon 12x50 SE is a pretty good porro also but again pretty rare. 12x is getting a little hard to hold also.

A possible alternative to the Fujinon x50's are the somewhat rare, and now discontinued, Pentax PIF's
They were also available in 10x50 and 7x50 and were significantly larger and heavier than the Fuji's!
However, they had the advantage of smaller diameter eyepieces, and so may be more adaptable to those with wider noses
John, there are also IF porros "from APM", I think, the manufacturer is United Optics Kunming, China:
A lot of CN members are satisfied. ;-)

The APM ED have been rated to be extremely close to the Fuji’s and a fraction of their cost.... so making them even more bang for your buck. Monopod mounting does help deal with the weight. Give very nice views in the daytime too, though IF is less fun for close up things.

Peter

John, there are also IF porros "from APM", I think, the manufacturer is United Optics Kunming, China:
A lot of CN members are satisfied. ;-)
I just ordered the Fujinon FMTR-SX2 from APM. I couldn't get the R model in the US. It is interesting that over in Europe they have the newer model Fujinon designated by the SX2 versus the older SX. The newer SX2 models have updated coatings with higher transmission, they are lighter and more compact, and they have more rounded objective tubes, so they are more comfortable to hold.

The so called FMT-SX2 models have been around for a long time, at least since 2003, when the 10x50 was introduced. It was never available in the old version. See this thread from CN.

So is there any difference in the SX and SX2 models?

From CN:
"Fujinon claimed 94-95% transmission for the pre-2001 "old" models; perhaps the coatings on the new ones are better but that could be splitting hairs over maybe another 1% transmission..."
"Essentially, the FMTs are reported to be optically the same but with a change in the outward mechanical features; different prism cover plate design, different colors and other cosmetics like slightly different shaped eyepiece housings."

Difference in age & appearance.

Information about Fuji Porro Prism Binoculars

A series of Fujinon pamphlets about their older binocular lines can be found at:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/8838f44b0a2af2382658db2763482b1e

The 15 page 3.4 MB PDF comprises six pamphlets with dates from 1997 to 2003
Included are the various Porro prisms lines along with roof prism and IS models

I’ve attached two Porro prism specification sheets:
• The first includes a table explaining the different features, and
• The second includes alternative designations for the various lines e.g. Polaris, Poseidon and Nautilus

- - - -
A current 7 MB Fujinon brochure (including the new HC and IS models), can be can be found at:
https://www.fujifilm.eu/fileadmin/content/opticaldevices/binoculars/EN_FUJINON_Binoculars_2020.pdf

Also see the specification sheet (I presume that the SX2 designation for the Porro prisms indicates improved coatings?)

John

Attachments

• Porro 1.jpg
    Porro 1.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Porro 2.jpg
    Porro 2.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Current Porro.jpg
    Current Porro.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 28
Friends

I really liked the content of this topic

I had the happiness to buy Fujinon FMTRSX 7x50 Polaris

After I made my visualizations I was sure of the quality of the lenses and the pleasure that this equipment provides on a tripod

They are beautiful images, the most beautiful possible in the infinite horizon

I still couldn't see behind the 10x50 model what is probably the best and most balanced of all Polaris

But I hope to get one day

Here in Brazil, it is very difficult to have access to this type of equipment, it has a very high cost and is very rare

I need to import and pay all the fees to get it, and that makes the binocular's final price increase 5x

But one day I will make it, I have faith

Meanwhile, I was enjoying and enjoying my Fujinon FMTR SX 7x50 Polaris

Greetings directly from Brazil

denco:
How would you rate the 10x50 Fujinon compared to the Swarovski 10x40 Habicht? In particular to eye relief.

The Fujinon has a large stated eye relief but people have measured it to be around 13mm..
I'm not sure about that number ... but that´s close to the stated 13mm of the 10x40 Habicht.

I have had the Fujinon 10x70s, 7x50s, and 25x150s-they are great astro binoculars;
but this is primarily a birding site.
The fujis are big, heavy, usually IF with very good optics-better on mounts but not as good walking through the woods.
They are better if you tend to drive over them with your cars/trucks/tanks.
I now have the Fujinon TS-X IS which is a good distant birding binocular but still heavy.

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back