• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Most Beautiful Binoculars in the World (1 Viewer)

here's one more I came across a few weeks back that I think is very attractive:
http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/ed-x.html

Having noticed the appreciation of the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 porro I wonder how an earlier type of this model is evaluated here (esthetically of course). I'm referring to a Habicht dressed in soft red-brown leather, called I believe a ladies Habicht. As it happens a specimen is listed on eBay right now (item # 321103136924). Pictures could be better but you'll get the idea. Please don't overlook the case.

Renze

Last edited:
Having noticed the appreciation of the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 porro I wonder how an earlier type of this model is evaluated here (esthetically of course). I'm referring to a Habicht dressed in soft red-brown leather, called I believe a ladies Habicht. As it happens a specimen is listed on eBay right now (item # 321103136924). Pictures could be better but you'll get the idea.

Renze

Sort of like this Swarovski?

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swarovski/swarovski-8x20-b-tyrol-binocular-leather

Bob

Few binoculars have the enduring classical quality in the form of the Bushnell Custom 7,8,&9 models. And even the old funky looking Zeiss 7x42 has a personality all its own which most people like, not to mentioned that it handles and balances better than most other binoculars. It has more than raw beauty. It has 'class!"
John

Few binoculars have the enduring classical quality in the form of the Bushnell Custom 7,8,&9 models. ......John

John .... Is this the Bushnell Custom mentioned in your post? Here is a link to a picture I posted in the "Vote for the Best Looking Binocular" thread from May,2012. If we are thinking of the same series, I thought it only came in a 7x and a 9x, at least in the US. Please let me know if my memory has failed on that.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2448313&postcount=6

I was looking through it yesterday. It is not as bright as newer binoculars, but it still presents a beautiful clear view.

Last edited:
Having noticed the appreciation of the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 porro I wonder how an earlier type of this model is evaluated here (esthetically of course). I'm referring to a Habicht dressed in soft red-brown leather, called I believe a ladies Habicht. As it happens a specimen is listed on eBay right now (item # 321103136924). Pictures could be better but you'll get the idea. Please don't overlook the case.

Renze

It's nice. I can imagine how nice it would have been brand new. I think I like the classic black more though. I've seen a gray bodied one too which is just beautiful.

Annabeth .... The Opticron ED-X roof in your link, with a minimal bridge connecting the two tubes made me think of the Sancho quote:

"At the end of the day, they´re all just metal tubes with some glass in."

It is a very clean

That's becoming a famous quote :) it's a good one!

Bruce - The full size Bushnell Customs came in six different powers using the monobloc body. The 7x35, 8x36, and 9x36 utilized the same chassis. The 8x36 was not as popular as the 7 and 9 custom, although the ER in the 9 was less than the 8, and the 7 even more. In 1974 the 7x35 custom listed at $139.50.

Other Customs were the 7x50, the 10x50, and the 7x35 Rangemaster. The 10x50 Custom is an excellent binocular but it weighs over 50 ounces. It is what I call a pickup glass. I have one so well-used the covering is worn smooth. But the optics are still superb. Bushnell even made a 7x35 Custom with Insta-focus. I have one with the covering mostly gone and dents and chips in the body. Yet, the optics and collimation
are perfect - picked it up at gun show for $10.

Few binoculars can match the mechanical reliability of the Custom line. And they look good, too. I believe that line was discontinued in the late seventies or early eighties.

John

Bruce - The full size Bushnell Customs came in six different powers using the monobloc body. The 7x35, 8x36, and 9x36 utilized the same chassis. The 8x36 was not as popular as the 7 and 9 custom, although the ER in the 9 was less than the 8, and the 7 even more. .............John

John .... Thank you for all of the background information. Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with the Custom line. You are right about the eye relief of the 9x! I have a friend that has a 7x from his father that is almost like new since it is never used. I got to see it last summer and it really looks nice.

Do you know if Bushnell or anyone else has original replacements for the retractable plastic eyecups? Mine have some small chips so it would be great if I could replace them back to like new.

Bruce - I'm hardly an authority on the Bushnell Custom line although I have used them all over the years. I'm not aware of any source for original replacement parts for the retractable plastic eye cups. That is the only component piece that the Custom has which is subject to easy breakage over time. Call it fatigue if you will but that plastic becomes brittle over the years. It also has limited function. It is designed primarily to accommodate non-eye glass wearers when extended and retracted it allows the eye glass wearer greater ER. I have a hunch that particular plastic was chosen to avoid marring glass surfaces. John

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know everybody has different tastes.

For me? I prefer simple, elegant, classy. Solid black with nice accents in a contrasting color defines beauty in a binocular to my eyes. Suggestions? Let me think on it. I always liked the colors/styling of Bushnell Elite Open Bridge.

BO630843.jpg

I agree Frank. The 8x and 10x43mm open bridge Elites are the best looking ever. But I think the final version with improved checkered rubber grips and finger cushions are even better looking than the original version:
bushnell-elite.jpg

Attachments

• bushnell-elite.jpg
    bushnell-elite.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 95
John --- Thanks for the follow-up information. Thirty plus years is a long time to find a plastic part.

Frank & Mike -- Let me join the choir on the Bushnell Elite dual hinge. I like the cleaner lines of the original version better. However I have only seen the final version in photos and they may not be doing the subject justice. I would like to see the real thing some day.

At least Frank and I are consistent. This is from the May, 2012 Best Looking Binocular thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2448183&postcount=3
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2448262&postcount=4

Hey you Tirolers,

What's this? No comment on the Ladies 8x30 Habicht (see previous post)? Have a good look at the case too.

Renze

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJhTBRYVO,sikg~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJhTBRYVO,sikg~~60_12.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 138
Renze, thanks for posting these. I had a search on the bay for that item no. and came up with nothing - is it still a current listing, or recently completed? Could you provide a link?

I am generally a big fan of leather, but as far as these bins go ...... well ...... jury's still out for me.
Black leather though, would be very yavul herr frauline!

The leather case seems very smick, if not a little monlithic for my tastes.

I'd have to say that I prefer the look of the faux ostrich skin Leica's though - very stylish.

Chosun :gh:

Hey you Tirolers,

What's this? No comment on the Ladies 8x30 Habicht (see previous post)? Have a good look at the case too.

Renze

I like the looks of this version a lot but still prefer the traditional black version. The one thing that makes the Habicht so special is that it backs up its traditional look with something so often lacking in most binoculars today......traditional old world craftsmanship which is reflected in its build quality and superb optics.

I can think of four individuals who have sent me PMs on this forum and the Cloudy Nights forum concerning my posts on the Habicht and all ending up buying a Habicht.......and all have been VERY pleased with the performance of their Habicht. The only possible "problems" I cautioned about concerning the Habicht was its comparatively stiff focus, (a small price to pay for the added bonus of waterproofing) and to take into consideration the size (actually lack thereof) in this diminutive optical gem.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 7x42 Habicht in the near future despite its narrower fov; who knows, if enough of us keep buying a few maybe Swarovski will see fit to keep producing them a while longer.

Steve

I like the looks of this version a lot but still prefer the traditional black version. The one thing that makes the Habicht so special is that it backs up its traditional look with something so often lacking in most binoculars today......traditional old world craftsmanship which is reflected in its build quality and superb optics.

I can think of four individuals who have sent me PMs on this forum and the Cloudy Nights forum concerning my posts on the Habicht and all ending up buying a Habicht.......and all have been VERY pleased with the performance of their Habicht. The only possible "problems" I cautioned about concerning the Habicht was its comparatively stiff focus, (a small price to pay for the added bonus of waterproofing) and to take into consideration the size (actually lack thereof) in this diminutive optical gem.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 7x42 Habicht in the near future despite its narrower fov; who knows, if enough of us keep buying a few maybe Swarovski will see fit to keep producing them a while longer.

Steve
Maybe we could get Proud Papa to give us a discount if we buy two Habicht's 7x42? HaHa.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back