• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new ZEISS SFL 30 binoculars (2 Viewers)

Birdforum

Administrator
Equipped with sufficient snacks, tripod, spotting scope and binoculars, the heavy weight of the equipment can become a burden, especially on long nature tours. With the new ZEISS SFL 30, we are introducing the newest and most lightweight member of the ZEISS SF line of binoculars. It offers exceptional optical performance combined with a compact design and an extremely low weight. Click HERE to find out more

Look out for an email later today
1b4bfce2-00d9-4c9b-af0c-31ce57c0130f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Phillip, That would be a bit over $1,600 US. I purchased SV 8X32 for less than that.

UK prices seem to be about £1300 so £350 more than the CL 8x30s and £350 less than the EL 8.5x42s (I think the EL 8x32s were about £100 less than the 8.5x42s, but of course they're now only available used).

UK prices seem to be about £1300 so £350 more than the CL 8x30s and £350 less than the EL 8.5x42s (I think the EL 8x32s were about £100 less than the 8.5x42s, but of course they're now only available used).
Well the SFL 8X30 does have some competition at lower cost. We will see what the performance is soon enough.

This will surely be an option in the 8x30 category....will give Nikon and Swaro a run for their money. I like the size, weight....Zeiss quality etc.... Look forward to it.

Well the SFL 8X30 does have some competition at lower cost. We will see what the performance is soon enough.

Yes - I still don't really understand Swarovski's decision to drop the EL 8x32s, other than the performance being good enough to take sales from the NLs there doesn't seem much logic to it The ELs are on a par with the SFs (better edge performance, better eyecups, more neutral, slightly narrower FoV, maybe slightly more finicky in eye placement etc. ). If the SFLs come close to ELs they're probably well priced.

I've never thought - 'the existing 8x32 offerings are too heavy/bulky, what I want is a lighter option that's close to the best' but possibly some people have. I thought the Conquest 8x32s were optically very good for the price (not SF/EL level but very decent) - it will be interesting to see where the SFLs fall.

I always found the SVs to have very easy eye placement for a 8X32, but I have deep set eyes. There are so many in this category. It does look like they are hoping the smaller size with the 18mm Eye relief and light weight with that FOV at about 8 degrees will dominate the 8X30 class. Like you I never thought that the existing 8X32 offerings were too bulky.

It will be interesting how the SFLs sell as a group, they are not low in cost.

And £450 more than the HG and almost £900 more than the Monarch M7+, which is a very fine instrument for the price (in my opinion).

Equipped with sufficient snacks, tripod, spotting scope and binoculars, the heavy weight of the equipment can become a burden, especially on long nature tours. With the new ZEISS SFL 30, we are introducing the newest and most lightweight member of the ZEISS SF line of binoculars. It offers exceptional optical performance combined with a compact design and an extremely low weight. Click HERE to find out more

Look out for an email later today
1b4bfce2-00d9-4c9b-af0c-31ce57c0130f.jpg
Those are REALLY cute! I might have to have a pair!

Yes - I still don't really understand Swarovski's decision to drop the EL 8x32s, other than the performance being good enough to take sales from the NLs there doesn't seem much logic to it The ELs are on a par with the SFs (better edge performance, better eyecups, more neutral, slightly narrower FoV, maybe slightly more finicky in eye placement etc. ). If the SFLs come close to ELs they're probably well priced.

I've never thought - 'the existing 8x32 offerings are too heavy/bulky, what I want is a lighter option that's close to the best' but possibly some people have. I thought the Conquest 8x32s were optically very good for the price (not SF/EL level but very decent) - it will be interesting to see where the SFLs fall.
The big deal about the NL and the SF is FOV! With either one, you are getting a much bigger FOV. To get a bigger FOV takes a more complex eyepiece, which costs more money to manufacturer. The NL's are a definite improvement over the EL optically and for most people ergonomically. I prefer the NL over the SF because it has sharper edges, but either one kills the EL or FL in FOV.

The big deal about the NL and the SF is FOV! With either one, you are getting a much bigger FOV. To get a bigger FOV takes a more complex eyepiece, which costs more money to manufacturer. The NL's are a definite improvement over the EL optically and for most people ergonomically. I prefer the NL over the SF because it has sharper edges, but either one kills the EL or FL in FOV.
The transmission has edged up too, I believe NL's are listed at 91%, SF's at 92%. EL's and SFL's at 90%. For me the transmission % is a proxy for overall cleanliness and sharpness of the optics. Maybe they spent more on coatings & glass and eked out slightly better performance.

The Zeiss FL's had big FOV's and very high transmission, but the edge sharpness isn't as good as the SF's apparently.

The transmission has edged up too, I believe NL's are listed at 91%, SF's at 92%. EL's and SFL's at 90%. For me the transmission % is a proxy for overall cleanliness and sharpness of the optics. Maybe they spent more on coatings & glass and eked out slightly better performance.

The Zeiss FL's had big FOV's and very high transmission, but the edge sharpness isn't as good as the SF's apparently.
The FL's don't have near as big of a FOV as the SF or NL. If you want a big FOV you get an SF or NL. If you want a big FOV with the sharpest edges, you get an NL. If you want the lightest and smallest NL with the least glare, you get the NL 8x32.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back