• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new ZEISS SFL Binoculars. Maximum Image Quality. Minimum Weight. (1 Viewer)

Birdforum

Administrator

1648756480749.png
Equipped with sufficient snacks, tripod, spotting scope and binoculars, the heavy weight of the equipment can become a burden, especially on long nature tours. With the new ZEISS SFL 40, we are introducing the newest member of the ZEISS SF line of binoculars which offers exceptional optical performance.

Find out more information about the new ZEISS SFL:

ZEISS SFL 8x40

ZEISS SFL 10x40

1648756501298.pngMinimum weight​

The SFL binoculars offer a perfect image quality despite the incredible reduction in weight and volume. They are up to 30% lighter than comparable binoculars. This is possible thanks to a reduced lens diameter and the use of thinner and more closely spaced lens elements.

The lightweight yet rugged magnesium housing enhances durability and longevity.

1648756514343.pngMaximum image quality​

The Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) Concept ensures that the binoculars deliver thehighest level of detail and reproduce colors with natural fidelity thanks to special coatings and an improved optical design. The high degree of light transmission and the T* multicoating deliver an accurate image, even in twilight conditions.

1648756521905.pngIntuitive & precise handling​

Thanks to the proven SmartFocus Concept and the ideally positioned focusing wheel, users can focus quickly and precisely, even when wearing gloves.

1648756528022.pngComfortable viewing​

The large exit pupil allows to quickly and easily position the eye for a comfortable and immersive viewing experience.

Improved eyecups provide an even better ergonomic feel.

1648756536534.pngZEISS Ambassador Stephen Menzie about the SFL binoculars​

"I am very impressed with the SFLs. With a scope, camera, lens, and often now the DTI as well, space in my backpack is at a premium, and the compact size of the SFLs really makes a difference. Despite their small size, there is no compromise on performance: the optical quality is fantastic, they’re well balanced in the hand and the close focus is amazing."
– Stephen Menzie, Editor of British Birds, a member of the British Birds Rarities Committee and Manager at Falsterbo Bird Observatory in Sweden.

I like the fact that they are the size and weight of most 32 mm binoculars, with the advantage of the bigger 40 mm aperture for a brighter image and easier eye placement. The newly designed eye cups look nice also. I am glad Zeiss didn't continue the FOV race with these and settled on 8 degrees because I don't think you need the huge FOV and other things about the binocular like glare control and ergonomics can be more important. I will definitely try these when they come out.

Hello,

It looks like Zeiss has adapted a simple dioptre adjustment for the right tube.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Swaro just swept the 42mm field with their NL, then took on Leica's famous pockets with the Curio, then out of nowhere Zeiss flies in like a Cooper's Hawk to pick the unsuspecting Swaro CL-B right off the feeder.

"Maximum image quality", without FL glass? The weight is nice though. (I dislike products engineered to a set price point, as if anyone paying 1800 € couldn't afford a bit more to get it right?)

I'm going to order a pair of these when they are available.
For years I used Nikon Monarch 7 8x42s. I would carry them in my hand instead of on my neck with a strap. It's a great, minimalist way to bird. The size and weight were perfect and they fit really nicely in my hand. I've found other binoculars since that were more comfortable to hold or to look through, but those M7s are still the most comfortable to carry. These new SFLs look like they have all of the important features that the Monarchs had that made them comfortable for me (size, weight, general shape) plus they have the focus wheel in the new spot. I really like the new focus wheel spot.
I'm going to get the 8s.

I would wait until after they have been out for a while (if you have the patience), then buy one used for less than asking price.
Maybe you’re right. There is wisdom in that. Saves some money for sure. But I also don’t mind too much being a guinea pig.
I pre-ordered the cerrent generation of the victory pockets. they were great, but i didn’t keep them. Also, I pre-ordered the Swarovski NLs, which I still have and use a lot. I might sell them. Someone has to take the loss for the used market to exist.
I should at least think it over a bit more since I have the time.

The SFL 8x40 would have to be better optically than my Noctivid 8x42 for me to buy one, even if it is lighter, and I am not so sure about that until I see one. I am pretty sure they aren't going to be at the quality level of the Noctivid at almost 1/2 the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back