• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Sound Approach to birding (1 Viewer)

PaulD

Paul Doherty
It has to be something unexpectedly good to prompt me to rave to other birdwatchers about a new book, but I recently got a copy of The Sound Approach to birding.

I knew that a group of birdwatchers (led by Mark Constantine) were hard at work on bird sounds, but I didn’t know how, when or even if the results would be published.

So it came as a bit of a surprise to find this gleaming new hardback with its two integral CD’s available at the Rutland Water Bird Fair (the cost is £29.95 – for more details its probably best to visit www.lush.co.uk).

This being bird sounds I (wrongly) expected the words to be secondary to the sounds on the CDs. But it’s written in an engaging anecdotal style which catches your interest and makes this sometimes difficult subject very accessible.

I rate it as worth the £29.95 purchase price for either the text or the CDs, but as you get both for your money I reckon it’s a bit of a bargain.

However I should stress that this is not a beginners guide to bird sounds, nor is it a comprehensive guide to British or European bird sounds. The recordings feature nearly 200 species, and include some tricky and lesser known birds, like Booted and Syke’s Warblers, and Richard’s, Tawny and Blyth’s Pipits.

For anyone who’s got a reasonable amount of birdwatching experience and wants to learn a bit more about bird sounds this is a great buy.

What it definitely will do is re-energise your interest in bird sounds and make you think and listen just that bit harder next time you’re out in the field.

PaulD said:
It has to be something unexpectedly good to prompt me to rave to other birdwatchers about a new book, but I recently got a copy of The Sound Approach to birding.

I knew that a group of birdwatchers (led by Mark Constantine) were hard at work on bird sounds, but I didn’t know how, when or even if the results would be published.

So it came as a bit of a surprise to find this gleaming new hardback with its two integral CD’s available at the Rutland Water Bird Fair (the cost is £29.95 – for more details its probably best to visit www.lush.co.uk).

This being bird sounds I (wrongly) expected the words to be secondary to the sounds on the CDs. But it’s written in an engaging anecdotal style which 'catches your interest and makes this sometimes difficult subject very accessible.

I rate it as worth the £29.95 purchase price for either the text or the CDs, but as you get both for your money I reckon it’s a bit of a bargain.

However I should stress that this is not a beginners guide to bird sounds, nor is it a comprehensive guide to British or European bird sounds. The recordings feature nearly 200 species, and include some tricky and lesser known birds, like Booted and Syke’s Warblers, and Richard’s, Tawny and Blyth’s Pipits.

For anyone who’s got a reasonable amount of birdwatching experience and wants to learn a bit more about bird sounds this is a great buy.

What it definitely will do is re-energise your interest in bird sounds and make you think and listen just that bit harder next time you’re out in the field.

There's a full review of this new innovative guide on Dave Gosney's website 'Birdguides' looks like an essential bit of reference kit that many people will be consulting soon especially when it comes to Pipits !!!
Regards Jack.

Hi,

I wonder if there is a good book of bioacustics instead? Bird sounds are interesting and intensively studied, but from reviews, "The Sound approach" is rather superfical.

jurek said:
Hi,

I wonder if there is a good book of bioacustics instead? Bird sounds are interesting and intensively studied, but from reviews, "The Sound approach" is rather superfical.

"Nature's Music -The Science of Birdsong" by Peter Marler and Hans Slabbekoorn might be more detailed and scientific for you.

I still think the "Sound Approach" is an informative book, and judging by how it seems to be being received so do others ! Also, it is written in "birder" talk rather than science "babble" which should be more global in its appeal !

Linz

Thanks. But no birder should be put off scientific books and articles. Most of them nowadays take much care to be readable for a layman. Especially birder used to long descriptions of plumage tracts etc. should find no problem. :)

"Ecology and evolution of acoustic communication in birds" edited by Donald Kroodsma and Edward Miller (1996 Ithaca press) provided many of the facts used in "The Sound Approach to Birding". While published before Natures Music, Kroodsma had assembled a formidible series of the most renowned researchers in his publication. On the other hand Natures Music seemed, in my opinion, to be based on Marlers considerable body of work in bioacoustics, from the 1950's to the current day. His influence made the book seem a little old fashioned despite the influence of Slabbekoorn, a dynamic young dutch researcher from Leiden.
Still Kroodsma does weigh in with 600 pages. Any way jurek is right there is no shortage of excellent scientific text books and papers on bioacoustics.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Mark Constantine
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back