• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Unexpected Days in Lisbon… Birding Advice? (2 Viewers)

MMcD

United States
Due to a miscommunication with my wife’s extended family (turns out I’m not invited 😅), I’ve suddenly found myself with 3 unexpected days in Lisbon & surrounding area.

I’ll be meeting up with my wife at the end of those days, and we’ll continue our journey to the Southern portions of Portugal, but suddenly I have 3 days to go birding.

I have yet to book a new place to stay, so I could also travel to a nearby location to spend my time.

The EVOA looks awesome.

Anyone have suggestions?

(Apologies if this is not the correct forum to post this in)

Last edited:
Hello,

I can provide some suggestions, but first I would like to ask three questions:
  • are you already in Lisbon, I mean, is this for now or for a later date?
  • do you have a car to move around?
  • are you looking for some species in particular or anything is good?

Hello,

I can provide some suggestions, but first I would like to ask three questions:
  • are you already in Lisbon, I mean, is this for now or for a later date?
  • do you have a car to move around?
  • are you looking for some species in particular or anything is good?
Thanks for your reply.

In order:
-This is for mid-May
-We are planning to get a car after the three days, but if possible I’d rather use transit during this time. I’m flexible about this, but I find driving abroad to be much less stressful with a navigator in the car. :)
-At this point I’m wide open. As a North American, even the most basic European species are pretty exciting to me. I would love to see a Great Spotted Cuckoo, but that’s more of a general wish than a quest.

Due to a miscommunication with my wife’s extended family (turns out I’m not invited 😅), I’ve suddenly found myself with 3 unexpected days in Lisbon & surrounding area.

I’ll be meeting up with my wife at the end of those days, and we’ll continue our journey to the Southern portions of Portugal, but suddenly I have 3 days to go birding.

I have yet to book a new place to stay, so I could also travel to a nearby location to spend my time.

The EVOA looks awesome.

Anyone have suggestions?

(Apologies if this is not the correct forum to post this in)
Hi Lisbon is an awesome place for birding, it may be worth considering hiring a guide. In the past, in pre-Covid and pre dog days, I hired a company called Bird and Nature Tours Bird Watching Tours for full days around the Tagus Estuary and, once, into the Alentejo to look for Steppe species like Great Bustard, Iberian Imperial Eagle and Black-bellied Sandgrouse.

Whatever you do you’ll enjoy yourself in Lisbon.

David

Thanks for your reply.

In order:
-This is for mid-May
-We are planning to get a car after the three days, but if possible I’d rather use transit during this time. I’m flexible about this, but I find driving abroad to be much less stressful with a navigator in the car. :)
-At this point I’m wide open. As a North American, even the most basic European species are pretty exciting to me. I would love to see a Great Spotted Cuckoo, but that’s more of a general wish than a quest.

Thanks for the answers.

There are two ways of doing this: either hiring a guide or doing it on your own

I usually prefer to do birding on my own, even though this means seeing fewer species, I like exploring ths ites at my own pace. But of course it's up to you.

In Lisbon city you can get anywhere using public transportation. I would suggest the following nine places (see attached map)

1682803937075.png

Site 1 (Monsanto) is the largest Park in town, it is in fact a forest. You can find a good variety of land birds including Red-legged Partridge, Buzzard, Turtle Dove, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Long-tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Spotless Starling, Serin and sometimes Night Heron. Not easy to explore on foot but a few hotspots can be reached using a bus.

Site 2 (Tapada da Ajuda) lies just south of 1 and is the same type of habitat with some open fields. It is easier to get to than site 1, it is surrounded by a wall and has not much traffic so it's a good place to walk around (entry free for pedestrians). You can expect Red-legged Partridge, Buzzard, Turtle Dove, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), Great Spotted Woodpecker, Black Redstart, Zitting Cisticola, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Serin, Common Waxbill.

Site 3 (Belém) is an area of gardens close to the most famous monuments (Jerónimos and Belém Tower), on the bank of the Tagus river. Typical birds at this time of year include Yellow-legged Gull, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Short-toed Treecreeper, Crested Myna (introduced) and Spotless Starling

Site 4 (Parque Bensaúde) is a small but interesting park not far from Benfica (underground station Alto dos Moinhos). It is a quiet area for a short walk. Resident birds include Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), Blue-headed Parakeet (introduced), Senegal Parrot (introduced, scarce), Great Spotted Woodpecker, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Spotless Starling and Serin. Breeding visitors include Turtle Dove, House Martin and Red-rumped Swallow.

Site 5 (Gulbenian gardens) is another interesting park, close to Praça de Espanha (easily reached by underground). It has large trees and a lake. You can see Egyptian Goose (introduced and probably feral), Mallard (feral), Moorhen, Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), White Wagtail, Wren, Blackbird, Blackcap, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin and Greenfinch. If you look at the sky you will probably see Common and Pallid Swifts.

Site 6 is yet another a park that is also easy to get to by underground (Quinta das Conchas station). Birds here include Egyptian Goose (feral), Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), Blue-headed Parakeet (introduced), White Wagtail, Blackcap, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Spotless Starling and Serin.

Site 7 is an open park with lawn, probably not so interesting at this time of year but there are good chances of Crested Lark and Hoopoe.

Site 8 is part of the Lisbon harbour. More interesting in autumn and winter but worth checking at any time of year as there may be some gulls, waders or herons. Definitely best at low tide.

Site 9 is a very interesting park on the shore of the river Tagus. Like site 8, it is best outide the breeding season, but even in May you can find interesting species. Typical birds include Mallard, Little Egret, Kestrel, Peregrine, Crested Lark, Cetti’s Warbler, Zitting Cisticola, Spotless Starling, Serin and Common Waxbill.

Outside town you can go westwards towards Oeiras and Cascais using local trains and reach a few more birding locations.

All these sites can be visited on your own. I hope this helps, I can provide additional details if you wish.

Thanks for the answers.

There are two ways of doing this: either hiring a guide or doing it on your own

I usually prefer to do birding on my own, even though this means seeing fewer species, I like exploring ths ites at my own pace. But of course it's up to you.

In Lisbon city you can get anywhere using public transportation. I would suggest the following nine places (see attached map)

View attachment 1507135

Site 1 (Monsanto) is the largest Park in town, it is in fact a forest. You can find a good variety of land birds including Red-legged Partridge, Buzzard, Turtle Dove, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Long-tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Spotless Starling, Serin and sometimes Night Heron. Not easy to explore on foot but a few hotspots can be reached using a bus.

Site 2 (Tapada da Ajuda) lies just south of 1 and is the same type of habitat with some open fields. It is easier to get to than site 1, it is surrounded by a wall and has not much traffic so it's a good place to walk around (entry free for pedestrians). You can expect Red-legged Partridge, Buzzard, Turtle Dove, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), Great Spotted Woodpecker, Black Redstart, Zitting Cisticola, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Serin, Common Waxbill.

Site 3 (Belém) is an area of gardens close to the most famous monuments (Jerónimos and Belém Tower), on the bank of the Tagus river. Typical birds at this time of year include Yellow-legged Gull, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Short-toed Treecreeper, Crested Myna (introduced) and Spotless Starling

Site 4 (Parque Bensaúde) is a small but interesting park not far from Benfica (underground station Alto dos Moinhos). It is a quiet area for a short walk. Resident birds include Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), Blue-headed Parakeet (introduced), Senegal Parrot (introduced, scarce), Great Spotted Woodpecker, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Spotless Starling and Serin. Breeding visitors include Turtle Dove, House Martin and Red-rumped Swallow.

Site 5 (Gulbenian gardens) is another interesting park, close to Praça de Espanha (easily reached by underground). It has large trees and a lake. You can see Egyptian Goose (introduced and probably feral), Mallard (feral), Moorhen, Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), White Wagtail, Wren, Blackbird, Blackcap, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin and Greenfinch. If you look at the sky you will probably see Common and Pallid Swifts.

Site 6 is yet another a park that is also easy to get to by underground (Quinta das Conchas station). Birds here include Egyptian Goose (feral), Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet (introduced), Blue-headed Parakeet (introduced), White Wagtail, Blackcap, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Coal Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Jay, Spotless Starling and Serin.

Site 7 is an open park with lawn, probably not so interesting at this time of year but there are good chances of Crested Lark and Hoopoe.

Site 8 is part of the Lisbon harbour. More interesting in autumn and winter but worth checking at any time of year as there may be some gulls, waders or herons. Definitely best at low tide.

Site 9 is a very interesting park on the shore of the river Tagus. Like site 8, it is best outide the breeding season, but even in May you can find interesting species. Typical birds include Mallard, Little Egret, Kestrel, Peregrine, Crested Lark, Cetti’s Warbler, Zitting Cisticola, Spotless Starling, Serin and Common Waxbill.

Outside town you can go westwards towards Oeiras and Cascais using local trains and reach a few more birding locations.

All these sites can be visited on your own. I hope this helps, I can provide additional details if you wish.
Thank you, Gonçalo. This is a wealth of information. I actually decided to stay near Monsanto, as it seemed quite interesting. I appreciate you spending the time to put all this down for me. I will check it out and let you know if I have any questions.

Much appreciated! 🙏

You are welcome. If you need more details concerning specific spots in the Monsanto area, I can provide them as well.
Thanks for the advice, Gonçalo. I ended up having a great time during my brief stay in Lisbon. I‘m putting down some of the details, so that anyone searching the forum can refer back.

On the day of my arrival: I walked up to Parque Silva Porto, which I could see from my AirBnb. Aside from being a lovely little park, it had nice variety of birds. All were fairly common, but it was a nice way to get started. I saw Wood Pigeon, Blackcap, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Rose-Ringed & Blue-Crowned Parakeets, swallows & swifts, and Waxbills, to name a few… and even a Merlin ping on a Spotted Flycatcher.

On Day 1: I took a bus to Luneta dos Quartéis in Monsanto and walked around until I reached the Monte Verde restauarant where I had lunch. I saw a nice spread of birds, including a variety of tits, Serin, Firecrests, Wrens, and Treecreepers.

From there, I had some bus misadventures and ended up grabbing an Uber to the train station to head to Parque Tejo. Right away I had a fun encounter with a Hoopoe and ended up logging a lot of firsts (both for year and life list), including Little Egrets, Eurasian Magpies, Zitting Cisticola, Sardinian Warblers, Black-Winged Stilts, Kentish Plovers, and more. By the time I left, the tide was nice and low, and I could see Great Flamingoes congregating way out in the mud. It was also really neat to see the boardwalk that they are building to the north of Parque Tejo. That will be a great addition to the birding site.

On Day 2: I headed out to EVOA up in the estuary, and I had an absolute blast. 37+ species, many of which were lifers— Collared Pranticoles, Western Swamphen, Common Redshanks, Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, Black-Tailed Godwits, Avocets, and so many more. Two notes for any future folks headed out that way: 1) transportation is really hard if you aren’t driving. I ended up having to catch a ride back to the train station with some very kind EVOA employees, 2) there are A LOT of ticks, especially in the blinds. I mention that not as a deterrent, but just as a reminder to take precautions, check yourself really well afterwards, and wash yourself and your clothes as soon as you can.

On Day 3: I took transit out to Cabo da Roca and had a great time. Sadly, I was pretty jet lagged, so I got a very late start and only had a couple hours to walk around. Nevertheless, I saw my first Blue Rock Thrush and had a great time. Then I headed to the Palacio Pena— the building was neat, but I wished I had a whole day to roam around the forest park. Among other things, I saw a Song Thrush, Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Nuthatches, and tried many times to find the Spotted Flychatchers I was hearing… though I never was successful. I also flushed something that was hiding on the ground, but I never got a good look at it.

On day 4, we headed south and had a great trip, both on our own and with Frank at Birding Portugal. All in all, I saw 142 species, heard 5 that I never saw, and had a few additional sightings that didn’t quite make quality control (uncertain ID or just too brief/poor of a sighting). My highlights are Great Spotted Cuckoos, Common Kingfishers, MULTIPLE Nightjar sightings, Iberian Magpies (not rare, but SO COOL!), Black-Bellied Sand Grouse, Red-Legged Partridge, and Long Eared Owls.

Anyhow, I had a wonderful time and your advice helped me have a fun introduction to Lisbon that was (mostly) outside the tourist bubble. Much appreciated!

Just following up on this thread as aim to visit. Is there anywhere particularly recommended for Iberian Green Woodpecker in Lisbon please?

Just following up on this thread as aim to visit. Is there anywhere particularly recommended for Iberian Green Woodpecker in Lisbon please?

This Woodpecker does not normally occur in Lisbon itself and there are very few records in the town ir nearby.

You can however find it in the Sintra hills which are about 20 km west.

Attached a map from eBird, I marked the Sintra area with a red oval. As you can see, that area has more sightings than the rest of the region. Try the area around Quinta do Pisão (southern slope of the hills), otherwise Peninha, Capuchos or Monserrate.

Hope this helps.
Gonçalo

1695656921390.png

This was one of the ones that got away from me! We saw one during our day trip down south, but it was the guide who spotted it, and all I got was a non-descript silhouette of a bird flying away. I also thought I might have seen one in the walled park by the palace in Mafra... but neither one was remotely good enough to count as an ID. Good luck!

This was one of the ones that got away from me! We saw one during our day trip down south, but it was the guide who spotted it, and all I got was a non-descript silhouette of a bird flying away. I also thought I might have seen one in the walled park by the palace in Mafra... but neither one was remotely good enough to count as an ID. Good luck!
Thanks for the info.

Ended up visiting Porto too and saw one there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back