• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best “Pocket” Binoculars for Non-Birding Travel (3 Viewers)

MMcD

United States
I am looking for recommendations for “pocket” binoculars for an upcoming trip.

My wife and I are headed to Portugal with her extended family, and much of the time I will be doing non-birding activities in Lisbon and surrounding area.

Later in the trip, we will head off on our own to do some actual birding, so I’m bringing my scope and normal binoculars.

But I’d like to get a very small pair that I can discreetly carry, since you never know when you’ll see something interesting! (Especially on a different continent)

I figure these will come in handy once I’m back home as well.

Suggestions?

The Swarovski Curio is exceptional for pocket use, but is very expensive for what is a niche purpose. The Leica Trinovid is even smaller than a Curio for around 2/3 the money. Opticron also have some tiny 8x20 for even less. But be aware that some 8x20 binoculars can actually be quite large in the hand/pocket, a double hinge design will fold up much smaller than porros or reverse porros, if you can try them out in person then I would.

True pocket binoculars, even Swarovski ones, are ergonomically compromised some folk just don't get on with them. For me 20mm is the limit, there are micro 15mm or smaller binoculars but I feel they stray into the novelty bracket rather than something that is everyday usable.

A quick search for Curio or pocket will lead to all sorts of discussion of the pros and cons of specific models and pocket binoculars in general.

It really depends what your budget is. The Curio's are definitely one of the best options but I have a few cheaper (and obviously optically inferior) suggestions. For a true discreet pocket binocular you could look at the Pentax FB-8 8x18. It's unique dimensions make it quite easy to slip away in any pocket and they are broadly available secondhand on eBay from Japan. For a step up in price and performance (and also dimensions but they are still quite tiny) you could look at the Nikon Mikron 6/7x15. These can still be bought new from Japan (kyoei-osaka for example stocks them) and they have really nice performance for their price and size if you can forgo waterproofing (which for your use case may be acceptable?). Nikon also makes a 4x10 that is very small and has nice optics with a very narrow FOV. Then there are the aforementioned opticron 20-21mm options. I have also been intruiged by the vixen 6x18 but not had a chance to look through them yet.

For me 20mm is the limit, there are micro 15mm or smaller binoculars but I feel they stray into the novelty bracket rather than something that is everyday usable.
That's personal preference of course but I think the Nikon 6x15 is just perfect for things like strolling through a city or museum and wanting a small bino at the ready that doesn't really look like one and can be kept around the neck at all times without becoming uncomfy, even under a jacket. And optically it is rather nice -- FoV is not spectacular but still doesn't feel like tunnel view to me. Mine is an older model so it has old coatings and no BaK4. The newer ones should be even better.

If you can’t get to a shop to physically try the binoculars, please find somewhere "on-line" that has a very good returns policy.
I discovered on trying various pocket binoculars that x10 just didn’t suit me in a 10x25 and bought 8x25 Hawke Endurance ED from my local optics shop and they are just ideal for my needs (£120).
If you can buy Opticron or Hawke binoculars via some outlet like Amazon you should find some binoculars that are good value for money, decent optically and it won’t feel like you have spent too much if you don’t use them very often either on holiday or at home.
Good Luck

Would be good to know if you wear glasses and what your preferred price range is.
My two ultimate pocket binoculars are the classic 8x20 Ultravid and 7x21 Curio. If the price range works for you, you’ll end up with a pair of absolutely premium pocket binoculars.

My wife and I are headed to Portugal with her extended family, and much of the time I will be doing non-birding activities in Lisbon and surrounding area.

Later in the trip, we will head off on our own to do some actual birding, so I’m bringing my scope and normal binoculars.

But I’d like to get a very small pair that I can discreetly carry, since you never know when you’ll see something interesting! (Especially on a different continent)

Suggestions?

MMcD,

Based on what you have told us so far, I vote you consider a 20/21 mm model or smaller ( "very small" ).

Given the inherent optical limitations of pockets and your potential interest in using them reasonably often after your trip, try a high end model or two if possible to evaluate whether it is worth it to spend the money for something like the Curio, UV or Trinovid. As you and your wife will both be using them this may be the way to go --two for one so to speak. And if you get a high end pocket, you may use it more often than a mid or inexpensive range. OTOH, as others point out there are a number of less expensive models which deliver useful and enjoyable views. For your purposes, especially during your upcoming trip, try using the pockets indoors in museums, historic buildings, etc., where full size bins would be out of place.

Mike

I'm a very happy user of the 8x25 Zeiss victory pocket.
I was even contemplating on recent trips to just take that one (and leave my x42 binoculars at home), because it is punching above its weight.
While there are smaller pockets out there as mentioned above, I never felt the 8x25 format was in any way distracting / uncomfortable / ... while around my neck. It's easy to walk with, to bike with, to put in a pocket or small backpack,...

If you like e.g. butterflies and thus need close focus, I would look very carefully into both the close focus limitations, and the speed of the focuser. E.g. the Curio and CL (close focus too much for my liking) and Ultravid (focuser is slow) weren't good enough for me with regards to those requirements.
ps: I wear glasses, so eye relief (especially on small binoculars with small exit pupils) was very important, and so was FOV.
The info below was copy-pasted from another (interesting) topic, and provided by Dr. K. Swarovski Curio 7x21 versus Victory 8x25 and Ultravid 8x20

Swarovski CL Curio 7x21
Exit pupil: 3mm
FOV deg. actual: 7.7
FOV deg. apparent: 51
FOV linear: 405'(123m)/1000m
Eye relief: 16mm
Close focus: 8.2'(2.5m)
Weight: 8.9oz(252g)
Source: Swarovski Optik

Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25
Exit pupil: 3.125mm
FOV deg. actual: 6.8
FOV deg. apparent: 52
FOV linear: 357'(109m)/1000m
Eye relief: 17mm
Weight: 12.2oz(346g)
Source: Swarovski Optik

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
FOV deg. actual: 7.4
FOV deg. apparent: 60
FOV linear: 390'(130m)/1000m
Eye relief: 16.5mm
Close focus: 6.2'(1.9m)
Weight: 10.2oz(290g)
Source: Zeiss, B&Hphoto

Leica Ultravid 8x20 (BR)
Exit pupil: 2.5mm
FOV deg. actual: 6.5
FOV deg. apparent: [?]
FOV linear: 341'(110m)/1000m
Eye relief: 15mm
Close focus: 5.9'(1.8m)*
Weight: 8.5oz(240g)
Source: Leica, B&Hphoto
*sources disagree

Kowa Genesis Prominar 8x22 XD
Exit pupil: 2.75mm
FOV deg. actual: 7.5
FOV deg. apparent: [?]
FOV linear: 429'(131m)/1000m*
Eye relief: 15mm
Close focus: 5'(1.5m)
Weight: 11oz(315g)
Source: Kowa, B&Hphoto
*sources disagree

Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 ATB
FOV deg. actual: 8.2
FOV deg. apparent: 59.7
FOV linear: 429'(131m)/1000m
Eye relief: 10mm
Weight: 9.9oz(281g)
Source: Nikon

That's personal preference of course but I think the Nikon 6x15 is just perfect for things like strolling through a city or museum and wanting a small bino at the ready that doesn't really look like one and can be kept around the neck at all times without becoming uncomfy, even under a jacket. And optically it is rather nice -- FoV is not spectacular but still doesn't feel like tunnel view to me. Mine is an older model so it has old coatings and no BaK4. The newer ones should be even better.

Phillipp,

The Nikon 6x15 is a surprisingly good ultra small bin. Agree the FOV at 8 degrees is excellent and wide enough that the AFOV does not feel overly restrictive. But with only 10-11mm ER it can't enjoyably be used with glasses.

Courtesy of a fellow member and friend I recently had the chance to compare the 6 and 7x15 with his older 5x15 model which had a very wide FOV. The newer 6 and 7 were noticeably brighter, presumably as a result of upgraded coatings and Bak 4 prisms.

Below is a picture of an UV BR 8x20, Curio, and the 6x15 showing just how tiny the Nikon is.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56
Hi,

my usual choice for that situation would be the Papilio 6.5x21. While not really pocket size - at least not shirt pocket - it is quite light and small and doubles as a strong loupe or microscope for watching bugs, plants or museum pieces close up...

Joachim

@mwhogue
Very nice! I have been contemplating getting the current version of the "Mikron" but the old one is really good despite being a bit dim. Sharpness across the field is excellent.
I also have a much larger 6x25 with an 11.5° FoV which is one of my best low-mag wide-angle models (the distortion profile is actually more balanced than that of the Kowa BDII 6.5 -- the skeleton 6x25 has no rolling ball effect at all). But it's no longer suitable as a "wear around the neck all day" bino as it is much heavier than the 6x15. I also got an 7x18 skeleton bino incoming that I just bought on ebay yesterday. Seems to be from the same maker as my 6x25.

Last edited:
Pentax Papilio vs. Nikon skeleton. The Pentax is really nice but it has one of the strongest rolling ball effect that I ever saw in a bino. To my eyes it looks like it almost has a slight barrel-distortion as opposed to pincushion which would reduce rolling ball. It's nice for close-up use but for people who react to rolling ball in a bad way, it is not suitable for "normal" use. I am not bothered by rolling ball effect, just wanted to mention it.
img0skfcn.jpg

The Nikon 6x15 is a surprisingly good ultra small bin.
I've never seen one. Clearly the focuser moves the objectives. Why does it seem to have two different knurled surfaces in some photos (not yours?), and how do those prism corners not hit your face?

I've never seen one. Clearly the focuser moves the objectives. Why does it seem to have two different knurled surfaces in some photos (not yours?), and how do those prism corners not hit your face?

Tenex,

Confirmed, the focuser moves the objectives. And yes the focuser on mine is a sort of "stepped" design which does help with finger placement and function depending on one's preferred hand placement on such tiny bins. Never thought about it until you asked but the prism corners do not contact my face with or without glasses.

For anyone reading with interest, the 6 delivers a reasonably useful, if not enjoyable, FOV with glasses. Definitely not with the 7 version however.

Mike

@tenex
This is how it looks from the side. I have no issue with ergonomics. The prism covers might slightly touch the brows however. But I never noticed until I looked at the pic. Eye relief without glasses is just fine and I can see the field stop. Not something I can say about every bino.
And I also noticed that contrary to my belief that the eye cups are plastic, they are actually brass on the older version. But I think the newer ones have rubber eye cups.
IMG_20230420_100441.jpg

Last edited:
The eye cups on my 7x15 are not the nasty fold-down type, more like a rubber bumper or O-ring type that is there merely to prevent the oculars from scratching up your eyeglasses. If you don't wear glasses, you will just have to keep them a short distance from your eyes. Then again it's been a while since I bought mine, it's possible they also included fold-down eye cups that I simply tossed and forgot about.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back