• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best “Pocket” Binoculars for Non-Birding Travel (1 Viewer)

That pic doesn't help much. You'd have to prop it upright in the same position as the one above. I doubt the Nikon is longer.
I got another skeleton bino in yesterday - slightly longer but more lightweight than the Nikon. But "recommending" it would be a mute point anyway as these are no longer made.
6x25 vs 7x18 vs 6x15:
IMG_20230421_104503.jpg

And in comparison to two 6x18 reverse porros:
IMG_20230421_110258.jpg

@tenex
This is how it looks from the side. I have no issue with ergonomics. The prism covers might slightly touch the brows however. But I never noticed until I looked at the pic. Eye relief without glasses is just fine and I can see the field stop. Not something I can say about every bino.
And I also noticed that contrary to my belief that the eye cups are plastic, they are actually brass on the older version. But I think the newer ones have rubber eye cups.
View attachment 1505330

Yes the newer ones have rubber eye cups. Some pictures for size comparison with my Leica UV 10x25.

49467D02-DF6D-4466-81E8-64EC7D944432.jpeg5A57265D-413D-4032-A304-DE284815D19B.jpegA353DE02-60D9-4649-825E-B7EAF6A2AF2F.jpegB8D76A6B-AC56-4E9D-B6A4-10EC68020F54.jpegF7C60725-FC9F-4B1B-BEE6-34032396EC51.jpeg

I got another skeleton bino in yesterday - slightly longer but more lightweight than the Nikon. But "recommending" it would be a moot point anyway as these are no longer made.
The point would be moot only if one just has to buy them new and from a dealer, something that I’ve only done once, with the Curio.

Here is my smallest 5x15 Nikon, in between my preferred Ultravid and Curio. Nikon wins for minimal bulk, the other two win for waterproofness, ergonomics, view, sharpness, contrast, saturation and pretty much everything else.
9925E0B5-462B-40D3-96BD-CC33C7AA8A52.jpegD053D193-7072-4DF8-8480-DBB334D9D384.jpeg

For anyone reading with interest, the 6 delivers a reasonably useful, if not enjoyable, FOV with glasses. Definitely not with the 7 version however.
Indeed, a curious exception to the usual rule of AFOV declining with magnification.

...pentax fb-8 compared with the already small ultravid 8x20
I've got one of those in black, but never found it very easy to use and lost track of it somewhere along the line. Really wanted to like it, but like the Zeiss 5x10 monocular, too fiddly and too much focus on compactness, for me anyway.

I got some 8x20 trinovid recently as they seemed to be the smallest reasonable power/quality bins that are out there., more pocketable than my Pentax papillo. Looks like I could have gone a little smaller…

Peter

I've got one of those in black, but never found it very easy to use and lost track of it somewhere along the line. Really wanted to like it, but like the Zeiss 5x10 monocular, too fiddly and too much focus on compactness, for me anyway.
I have had a similar experience. I think it may be the small exit pupil size and odd exit pupil shape combined with the relatively fast focusing and shallow depth of field. I do however still enjoy them as they are very unique and the squared off FOV makes it feel like you are watching TV of real life!

I have had a similar experience. I think it may be the small exit pupil size and odd exit pupil shape combined with the relatively fast focusing and shallow depth of field. I do however still enjoy them as they are very unique and the squared off FOV makes it feel like you are watching TV of real life!
I’m going to try to find mine and see how I feel about it now. One of the coolest little optical packages ever conceived, all the way down to the super form-fitting genuine leather pouch.

Reminds me of my Canon FC 5x17, probably the first pair of binoculars I bought with my own money, from a British Airways in-flight shopping catalogue. I still have them, albeit at my parents' house. I upgraded much later to the Trinovid 8x20 and never looked back.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back