• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (17 Viewers)

Warm afternoon at Tices, the 2 Adult Whinchat reported this morning were still present on the meadow & whilst watching them a Red Kite drifted over. The first 4 returning Teal were present on the stream, an Adult Yellow Legged Gull on the workings along with 3 Green Sands, 1 Common Sand, & 14 Lapwing.

John.

I see from Surrey Birders a report of a Bar Tailed Godwit yesterday, any know anything more about this?

John.

All I know they were seen by Graham King. Flew up from the workings and flew off southwest into the sunset. So must have been seen around 8pm.
I met Graham once a couple of visits ago. He visits fairly regular but does not enter all birds on Surrey Birders.

Kevin

This morning 06:45 - 08:30: No sign of yesterdays Whinchats but other Chats in evidence, 2 juv Stonechats & ridiculously close views of a 1w Wheatear that flew from the meadow onto a post less than 20ft from me!
Not much on the wader front 3 Green Sands & 16 Lapwing in the workings, but the male Kingfisher put in another appearance. The 4 Teal still present & nice to see Skylarks still around. No sign of any Terns now for a few days so presume they have departed, still 1 or 2 Reed Warblers in the reed bed.

John.

Not much to add to John's tally but must concur that the Wheatear was showing extremely well.

Fairly quiet at Tice's this afternoon (15:30-17:00) with no sign of the Wheatear, although a hovering Buzzard had me double-checking it wasn't an Osprey 8-P
Nice collection of warblers in the bushes along the path towards Tongham GP, with at least 1 Willow Warbler, 4 Chiffchaff and 2 Blackcap.
At least two Bullfinch heard calling in the thicket behind the bank too.

Matt.

The Wheatear still present this morning, I flushed it near the fence between the workings & the stream. Two Green & 1 Common Sands in the workings along with 17 Lapwing. The 2 juv Stonechats were also present in the centre of the meadow.

John.

this is my first try at this so bear with me 2 green sands 1 common 2 wheatear no canada goose or ducks may be because works have started;

Hiya Rich nice to have you on board! It will be nice to have your reports of how things are progressing at Tices.

Cheers,

John.B :)

this is my first try at this so bear with me 2 green sands 1 common 2 wheatear no canada goose or ducks may be because works have started;

Welcome to the thread Rich. Good to hear that work has started and in some respects that all those Canada Geese have flown.

One common sand two green 300 canada goose 1 grey lag 1 cross canada barnacle goose 4 teal all with earth movements going on far side ie A 31and constructing path to new hide lapwing no biulding to 21 .

Hi All,

I have just taken over as the Field Meetings Officer for the Surrey Bird Club. The first of the monthly walks starts this Sunday September 11th at 09:00am at Tices Meadow & Tongham GP. Everyone is welcome.

Hope to see you on Sunday.

Directions:-
SUNDAY 11th SEPTEMBER 2011 TICES MEADOW AND TONGHAM GP
Park at Pea Bridge along the Lower Farnham Road B3208 (Some maps shown as A324) between Badshot Lea and Aldershot. (Grid Ref SU867490)
Meet at 9am. Morning only. Leader Kevin Duncan.

Kevin

First visit since works began on Monday, as Rich says path under construction from the meadow past the Reedbed, Silt Pool, Overflow Pit, & out to the workings. Now onto the birds, good selection this morning, had Whinchat & Wheatear in same scope view along the fencing between the meadow & workings. Skylarks very active, counted at least 4 on the meadow & heard at least 2 Meadow Pipit. In the workings, 3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Teal, 1 Snipe, first returning bird, & 2 Kingfisher chasing each other.Lapwing flock initially on the meadow but relocated over the A31 to the paddocks still numbering 18.

John.

Met Kev & Rich H prior to Kev's guided walk this morning & found a good selection to entertain the masses!
Not much on the wader front, just 3 Green Sands & 32 Lapwing.But 3 Common Terns was a welcome sight as was the 2 Kingfishers showing well in the overflow pit. A Kestrel was present hunting over the meadow, the pair of Egyptian Geese flew in, at least 4 Skylark, & the 4 Teal were also noted.
Migration very much in full swing with at least 100 Martin spp over, 20 plus Swallow through, 4 plus Meadow Pipit, 2 Wheatear on the new bunds, 4 plus Whitethroat, 2 Stonechat, & best of all a smart male Redstart in the NE corner of the workings a site first for me!

John.

Met Kev & Rich H prior to Kev's guided walk this morning & found a good selection to entertain the masses!
Not much on the wader front, just 3 Green Sands & 32 Lapwing.But 3 Common Terns was a welcome sight as was the 2 Kingfishers showing well in the overflow pit. A Kestrel was present hunting over the meadow, the pair of Egyptian Geese flew in, at least 4 Skylark, & the 4 Teal were also noted.
Migration very much in full swing with at least 100 Martin spp over, 20 plus Swallow through, 4 plus Meadow Pipit, 2 Wheatear on the new bunds, 4 plus Whitethroat, 2 Stonechat, & best of all a smart male Redstart in the NE corner of the workings a site first for me!

John.

Not much to add although Mipits had increased to 14 at 1300hrs and there was a Hobby high over the meadow.

A thoroughly enjoyable guided walk round Tice's and Tongham GP this morning, led by Kev. Rich H, Dave B, and two new faces also present, and nice to bump into John at the bank.
Great to see my first Hobby and Peregrine for the site. Nice to see a Grey Wagtail heading south over the meadow too, not been seeing too many of those so far this year. Unfortunately we weren't able to relocate the Wheatear or Redstart, although Rich H thought he heard one of the latter in the hedgerow at Tongham, but we couldn't find it.
Two Kingfisher and at least two Reed Warbler made the walk to Tongham worthwhile though, as did a Treecreeper - always a great little bird to see - giving great views in a willow right by the water's edge.

Cheers Kev, see you in Pagham!

Matt.

Last edited:
No rare birds this evening but a rare birder in the form of Alan Hobbs! nice to see you again Alan ;)
Very little to report, just 1 Green Sandpiper in the workings, 2 Grey Wags over, a Buzzard drifted over, 1 of the juv Stonechats present on the meadow, & flock of c12 Meadow Pipits going to roost on the meadow.

John.

Decided to have a look at Tongham prompted by yesterdays Grey Phal at Frensham, no Phal as expected but did find a flock of approx 12 Yellow Wags on Aldershot Park with the Pieds. Not much else at Tongham, no Wigeon in yet, a juv Little Grebe was present, perhaps the offspring of the Tices pair?

John.

06:30 - 08:15; 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Snipe flushed from the stream, 2 Kestrel, 1 Buzzard, 2 Skylark, 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Whinchat on fence NE corner of workings, 1 Hobby caught passerine & plucked victim on the wing, 8+ Chiffchaff, 3 Teal.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back