• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (11 Viewers)

A number of visits over the weekend whilst the family slobbed it at home. Surprised to only bump into John Hunt then realised that Thelma and Loiuse had gone west to Hayling Island having driven past Tice's.

Waterfowl certainly looking good with at least 21 Tufted Duck, 2 Pochard, 3 pairs of Gadwall and a similar number of Shoveler. I did also find one Teal and did wonder whether its partner was sat on eggs. Reed Warblers are now singing from both sides of the path and there was even one on the stream singing from a Willow. On Saturday a Lesser Whitethroat was singing from Blackthorne adjacent to the plant site gate but it was not found on further visits. A Red Kite did make an appearance over the workings heading NW.

Locally the breeding Peregrines have two young and it was a joy to spend an hour or so parked up and watching them. I had some cracking views.

I met one of the Hansons workers on Saturday morning who told me that the pump had just broken. I agree with Rich though and the water levels are reducing; you can now make out islands just below the water.

A total of 51 species when I tallied up yesterday.

Coffee News

Cafe Nero is now open on Castle Street, Farnham and will now host my post-morning coffees.

See some of you midnight on Thursday.

Last edited:
A quiet weekend with three visits. Reed Warblers singing and holding territory on both sides of the path. Swifts were everywhere and provided a spectacular backdrop to the vists - sadly none with white rumpes though!

No sign of the Lesser Whitethroat adjacent to the plant area gate although Rich H confirmed that it had been singing there during the week.

Last edited:
Nuthatch in the hedge line with Bullfinch, Garden Warb, Whitethroat,1 Little Egret with Redshank in the meadow. Water level 69. 70 . going down 100 mm per week.

This evening Cuckoo thanks to Jon on new fence line by bike pool . Think it flew out of reed bed but flew off towards Crooksbury.1 Egp goose , loads of sand martin and swifts.
rich.

Notes of today Yellow-Legged Gull,Green Sandpiper, 2 L Egrets 2 Pochards plus all you would expect. Also saw 1000 s of fish small fry in end settling pond .Kev always told me about shoals of Perch in there but never seen before today. Rich.

Also saw 1000 s of fish small fry in end settling pond .Kev always told me about shoals of Perch in there but never seen before today. Rich.

I first saw 100's of Perch 3+ inches long back in 3rd September 2010, so they had been breeding then for a while.
Good to see either some have survived the filling or a fresh lot of eggs have been brought in by the ducks/Geese.

Kevin

The Greenshank seen today equals the earliest date for return migration set in 2009.

This is only the sixth ever record in Surrey in June.

A pair of Common Terns have hatched two chicks with two other pairs are sitting on nests.

Kevin.

The Greenshank seen today equals the earliest date for return migration set in 2009.

This is only the sixth ever record in Surrey in June.

A pair of Common Terns have hatched two chicks with two other pairs are sitting on nests.

Kevin.

It was great to see this elegent bird along with its 2 Redshank relatives and the 5 Green Sandpipers on the flooded area of the meadow. A wader fest to follow?

Surrey Bird Club are after the full dates for the presence of Black-necked Grebe. I believe the pair were last seen on the weekend of 21 June but when were they first seen? I believe we had a maximum of 4 at some point. Any data out there?

Surrey Bird Club are after the full dates for the presence of Black-necked Grebe. I believe the pair were last seen on the weekend of 21 June but when were they first seen? I believe we had a maximum of 4 at some point. Any data out there?
Rich my records show 1 Black-necked Greab arived on Wed 10th April with 1 Slav Greab and remained 2 noted on 15th May and remained 4 on the 18th May till 6th June
Rich

Of note today 1 Common 2 Green Sandpipers Little Egret Egp Goose 20+ Lapwing Common Tern still 2 chicks 5 Teal Garden Wab Whitethroat and Blackcap in the headge row.

My records show 1BN Grebe and 4 Slavs on 9/4/13. Saw the BNG til 13/4/13. Then 4 BNG's on 15th 26th 27th May and 3rd June. My final sighting was 2 BNG's on15/6/13.

As the mist lifted at 04:30 it reveiled SEVEN Little Egret in the meadow. Early morning a juvenile Cuckoo was seen flying up from the pond near the works. Later seen feeding along the path between the reedbeds and in front of the mound giving excellent views. As the walkers passed during the morning it would fly off but would quickly return to the same area.
In the meadow 2 Green Sandpipers and at one point 15 (migrant) LRP's were counted. BHG's number are increasing especially in the evenings, but no sign of any Med Gulls yet.

Kevin

Quiet this afternoon (16:00-17:45) with just one each of Little Egret and Yellow-legged Gull of note. I called the local police out to see off the scramble bikers who were tearing round the paths again but received a voicemail two hours later to say they couldn't find them.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back