• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (4 Viewers)

WELLINGTONS ARE ESSENTIAL AT TICE's. As pretty much the whole of the country has been on flood alert please don't turn up without them cos you will get wet and muddy feet:) #justsaying.

Black Necked Greab still on workings/main lake ,hope it stays for Fridays work party at 10am on the mound. 4 Chifff Chaff with Reed Bunting in Simons reeds beds , Water Rail calling also. Rich H.

Work party at Tice's on 17 Jan at 100hrs - the usual will clearance on Wheatear Field and the reed-bed. Wellies essential :) As we are in the field we will complete a Snipe count before the work party enters; perhaps a good chance to pick up a year Jack Snipe.

Black-necked Grebe still present and disappearing around the reeds - hopefully this year will be the year they stay. Fingers crossed.

Tice's 24

Just musing at the moment although I know 3 others are interested. Anyone fancy a winter Tice's 24 at the end of February (22-23)? We will then cover 3 of the best seasons of the year.

A quiet weekend although the Black-necked Grebe is still present. Wigeon numbers built up considerably up to the morning of Sunday when some left. At the height of the weekend I would have though that there was in excess of 95 birds present. The Green Sandpiper was still present in the plant yard and following a phonecall to the Environmental Agency (EA) pollution report line I was told that the Excavator would be moved by midday today; we will see. It was novel reporting the EA to the EA as a polluter.

Chiffchaff numbers are possibly around 3 (in the Reed-bed) as reported by Rich H.

For anyone reading this - it is still wet and muddy. You will need wellies (it is the countryside afterall).

Any one lost a pair of walking boots yesterday at Tices . Found on the foot path . On the Bird front BN Greab still about at least 3 Water Rail nice to see 2 Stone Chat still showing well below mound and good numbers of duck and Lapwing.
Any one wanting to see Brambling in best numbers i have seen in years should get to Crooksbury Common 50 mt from car park. Also Crossbill by dew ponds at the top.

Black Necked Greab still on workings , Stonechat, 87 + Lapwing 5 Gadwall, 6 Teal, 22 Shovler, 38 Wigeon , 76+ Coot , Moorhen , Water Rail, Male Sparrowhawk taking Pied Wagtail for dinner from medow.14 Meadow Pipit 3 Bullfinch plus all the other specice you would except. Water levels now up to 70.0 just 300mm from last years high.

Following a post on the Surrey Birding thread I would like to emphasise that walking out into the meadow is strongly discouraged. Firstly, the meadow is not accessible to the general public and due to the nature of the water meadow disturbance can be detrimental to both birdlife and plantlife.

Snipe counts, under controlled measures, have taken place in the past to determine wintering numbers and Jack Snipe has been seen but these counts are now few and far between due to water levels in the meadow and the increasing chance of negative disturbance. The gate to the meadow is locked and visitors must not climb over it. Hansons, the owner of the land, are extremely positive towards birders but tresspassing could harm the good relationship between us birders and their management. Tresspassing by birders also encourages tresspassing by dog owners. Please therefore view from the viewing mound only.

Top tip:

Birders also includes photographers.

Last edited:
Good point Rich and also Sinking Sand out there so very dangerous as some have found out not only dogs being rescued by The Fire Brigade but 5 people so far DONT CROSS THE FENCE.

Black Necked Greab still on workings , Stonechat, 87 + Lapwing 5 Gadwall, 6 Teal, 22 Shovler, 38 Wigeon , 76+ Coot , Moorhen , Water Rail, Male Sparrowhawk taking Pied Wagtail for dinner from medow.14 Meadow Pipit 3 Bullfinch plus all the other specice you would except. Water levels now up to 70.0 just 300mm from last years high.

Meaning the water level is more than 60cm higher than at the same time last year.

Kevin

Dear All

Elsewhere in the Blackwater Valley plans are advancing to undertake other wildlife and bird friendly projects lead by the Blackwater Valley Countryside Trust. I am currently looking after two projects at Frimley, the second phase of restoration of a reedbed and the provision and installation of tern rafts for which we have gained grants totalling c. £9500.
The tern rafts will go onto a lake at Frimley near the station and be visible by the public from the Blackwater Valley Path.
What we are likely to need is manpower to help construct the rafts and launch them. Tony, the ranger from BVCP will be our main adviser and the Trustees will be supporting the work but we may need extra hands.
Can I ask if anyone might be able to help us on 21st March (or possibly 28th if conditions are against us)? No need for a firm commitment at this stage but just to know if anyone might come and help us will assist in making plans. It will be an all day job I suspect!
Regards
Colin

Last edited:
Dear All

Elsewhere in the Blackwater Valley plans are advancing to undertake other wildlife and bird friendly projects lead by the Blackwater Valley Countryside Trust. I am currently looking after two projects at Frimley, the second phase of restoration of a reedbed and the provision and installation of tern rafts for which we have gained grants totalling c. £9500.
The tern rafts will go onto a lake at Frimley near the station and be visible by the public from the Blackwater Valley Path.
What we are likely to need is manpower to help construct the rafts and launch them. Tony, the ranger from BVCP will be our main adviser and the Trustees will be supporting the work but we may need extra hands.
Can I ask if anyone might be able to help us on 21st March (or possibly 28th if conditions are against us)? No need for a firm commitment at this stage but just to know if anyone might come and help us will assist in making plans. It will be an all day job I suspect!
Regards
Colin
Collin i m sure a few of the Tices Crew can help but most are working of coarse.Can we get car access as we carry our own tools.
Keep us posted.Rich H.

Tern rafts at Frimley

Collin i m sure a few of the Tices Crew can help but most are working of coarse.Can we get car access as we carry our own tools.
Keep us posted.Rich H.

Hi Rich and all. You wont need tools as they'll be supplied. What we will need is your manpower and any skills you can bring to the launch (two rafts coupled together). I can provide details of the closest parking nearer the date and will be happy to show anyone around before hand if they're interested. I'm doing a walk nearby on 13th Feb for wildfowl. See details on http://www.bvct.org.uk/
At some time in the future you might think about rafts at Tice's. I haven't thought about how it might work there but it might save flooding risks!
The Trust gained a grant for the Frimley project so we could try the same for your site if you wanted. Same goes for any other projects for wildlife where you need funds. Obviously the gravel company should be first port of call though!
Best wishes to all.

Colin

Hi Rich and all. You wont need tools as they'll be supplied. What we will need is your manpower and any skills you can bring to the launch (two rafts coupled together). I can provide details of the closest parking nearer the date and will be happy to show anyone around before hand if they're interested. I'm doing a walk nearby on 13th Feb for wildfowl. See details on http://www.bvct.org.uk/
At some time in the future you might think about rafts at Tice's. I haven't thought about how it might work there but it might save flooding risks!
The Trust gained a grant for the Frimley project so we could try the same for your site if you wanted. Same goes for any other projects for wildlife where you need funds. Obviously the gravel company should be first port of call though!
Best wishes to all.

Colin
Collin Tices Birders already have Tern rafts in hand. Being soured by our selfs. We want to save any costs for our bird hides.

Not much to report on the bird front today all be it for good numbers of Wigeon and other ducks. What is strange is that the plant site water level is now 500mm above workings main lake at 70.60 . Main lake workings stand at 70.10.
water now running from plant yard into main lake. Is this amount coming from bore hole ? Must be . I will be asking the powers that be to expose and clear original ditch at end of wood as part of earth works . No point spending all that money creating islands for nesting birds if they are not able to use them in spring. Give me your thoughts all.

Again water levels prevent us doing any thing with the willow tomorrow for the Tices Work Party so will try to put up Barn Owl box along with Tawny Owl boxes will also clear existing Tit boxes and fix new fronts after Great Spotted Woodpecker enlarged. Hope also to burn some of the mess SSE have left us. Water levels rising all the time . At this rate it will find its own way out to the River Blackwater. Rich.

Of note 3 Pintail main lake pm . Work party put up 5 Owl boxes and 1 Barn Owl box .Keep your eyes on them as we will have to report to Sean at the end of year. Also with Jims help started to burn Eletric Boards cuttings, On a nature note work party spotted Bank Vole .

1st Feb 2014. I was in the area so took a look at the Frimley Gravel pits lake near the station. I was there early around 8ish. I saw a couple cormorant fly over and a heron feeding. Two little egret flew into feed, they'd possibly been in the trees near the station. I am a big kingfisher fan and saw one fly across the lake in the distance by the railway line. I was struggling with the light as the sun came up and saw possibly two kingfishers chasing each other and they landed in the trees on the first island near the station. I took a quick photo which in better light at home confirmed it was a kingfisher, so there were either two or three on the lake that morning.

Dear all our next Volunteer Work Party at Tices is Friday 14th Feb. Meeting at 10am Pea Bridge when we shall clear and burn SSE felled trees and also a general litter pick.Do pop down and get involved even for an hour every bit helps. On the 22nd/23rd Feb Tices Birders are proposing another 24 Hour with evening barbecue [bring your own grub to stick on] and good company. Target is 81 species of birds 9 Roe Deer 5 Fox 1 Perv. Have meeting at the end of month with Hansons BWVP EA SCC. Any points you wish me to raise please let me know. Rich H.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back