• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

As you will see from the title of the thread, it is Tice's.

I would also like to know why it is so named. Who was Tice?

Because of a Mr Walter Tice who used to own the kiln and the hop fields, as they were then. My mum grew up above the shop that is now One Stop amd remembers Mr Tice's vans going past ferrying hops and pickers to and from the fields - now the meadow as we know it.

Matt.

Because of a Mr Walter Tice who used to own the kiln and the hop fields, as they were then. My mum grew up above the shop that is now One Stop amd remembers Mr Tice's vans going past ferrying hops and pickers to and from the fields - now the meadow as we know it.

Matt.

Matt, great reply there are photos of lorrys loading at the kiln with Tices on the side.
Rich

Sand Martin over workings today Peregrine in for a clean up, Pintail still here L Egret, Wheatear, Grey Wagtail in the steam .
Rich.

Put 11 hours in today, and it wasn't quite the migrant-fest we'd hoped, but it was all worthwhile. Particuarly thanks to the Osprey which came in low from the south at 15:45, before circling up and drifting off west. The other highlights were 8 LRPs, a Dunlin, the usual pair of Pintail, 4 Med Gulls, a fly-over Yellowhammer, 8 Sand Martin through, and 3 Little Gull hawking over the workings. The full list (let me know of any additions/amendments):

1. Mute Swan 2
2. Greylag Goose 2
3. Canada Goose 20
4. Wigeon 15
5. Gadwall 8
6. Teal 30
7. Mallard 25 (including a brood of 14 ducklings)
8. Pintail 2
9. Shoveler 15
10. Pochard 2
11. Tufted Duck 4
12. Pheasant 2
13. Little Grebe 4
14. Great Crested Grebe 2
15. Cormorant 6
16. Little Egret 2
17. Grey Heron 3
18. Red Kite 2
19. Sparrowhawk 5
20. Buzzard 12
21. Osprey 1
22. Kestrel 2
23. Peregrine 1
24. Water Rail 2
25. Moorhen 8
26. Coot 15
27. Little Ringed Plover 8
28. Lapwing 1
29. Dunlin 1
30. Snipe 15
31. Mediterranean Gull 4
32. Little Gull 3
33. Black-headed Gull 200
34. Common Gull 80
35. Lesser Black-backed Gull 15
36. Herring Gull 12
37. Feral Pigeon 30
38. Stock Dove 10
39. Woodpigeon 50
40. Collared Dove 2
41. Green Woodpecker 1
42. Skylark 8
43. Sand Martin 8
44. Meadow Pipit 25
45. Pied Wagtail 5
46. Wren 4
47. Dunnock 2
48. Robin 6
49. Wheatear 1
50. Blackbird 5
51. Fieldfare 8
52. Song Thrush 2
53. Redwing 2
54. Mistle Thrush 1
55. Chiffchaff 3
56. Goldcrest 1
57. Long-tailed Tit 5
58. Blue Tit 6
59. Great Tit 8
60. Jay 9
61. Magpie 10
62. Jackdaw 25
63. Rook 1
64. Carrion Crow 10
65. Starling 6
66. House Sparrow 20
67. Chaffinch 20
68. Greenfinch 3
69. Goldfinch 4
70. Siskin 3
71. Linnet 1
72. Yellowhammer 1
73. Reed Bunting 3

That's a pretty good haul, Sean. Were the Little Gulls all adults? I see from Kevin's list that there have been two previous records but the only one I know is for 26 Mar 2011. Does anyone know when the other one was?

John

That's a pretty good haul, Sean. Were the Little Gulls all adults? I see from Kevin's list that there have been two previous records but the only one I know is for 26 Mar 2011. Does anyone know when the other one was?

John

John,
Now 4 records

26/11/11 x1 (?)
23/3/13 x1 (w/p)
28/3/13 x1 (?)
7/4/13 x3 (1x w/p 2x s/p)

Kevin

Well things are well off and running after Osprey Sunday which i got from velux roof light flying West thanks to Sean and Kev s phone calls . Nice garden tick. So today Sean on the mound all day again found 4 Slav Greabs 1 Black-necked Greab 1 Willow Wabler with Chiffchaff,1 House Martin,1 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Dunlin 5 Greylag Goose and still the odd Fieldfare and Redwing about. Great to see so many Birders on the mound. Well done to Sean.
Rich.

Cheers Rich.

Imagine my surprise when I clapped eyes on them this morning. All five birds were together and made quite a sight!

They have all ranged quite widely throughout the day, and the Black-necked seems to be keeping very much to itself.

A large arrival or hirundines was noted, with birds coming and going all day. Difficult to come up with estimates, but I reckon a minimum of 50 Sand Martin, 6 Swallow, and 1 House Martin. The male Yellow Wagtail was a (brief) corker too!

Absolutely incredible hour's birding after work tonight, so good to see Tice's delivering all the goods. Well done to Sean for finding the Grebes, and good to see you all and Neil this evening. The next few weeks could be very interesting, roll on the 24hr springwatch!

Matt.

It gets better with John H this morning Sandwich Tern on bike pool posts relocated Slav Greab later moulting to breeding plumage with Jerry. Had it been in plant area all the time? Not spotted 6 30 am till 9 am with Kev D .Black-Necked still and 3 Yellow Wagtail .Good numbers of hirundines.
Rich

To add to Rich's sightings, a Jack Snipe in the reedbed (though well concealed!). A greyish streaky Pipit in the same area caused confusion with Rock, but then I saw there were two, and finally saw one fly, and had white outer-tail feathers. They were Meadows.

3 Yellow wagtait, 1 Grey, 2 Pintail, Martin House and sand , Swallow,3 Lapwing,1 Black-neck Greab .2 Egp Goose and 1 Green Sandpiper.
Rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back