• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Topaz AI Tools (1 Viewer)

RichardHoeg

Boreal Forest Birder
United States
I just posted a full review of the Topaz AI Sharpening Tool on my blog. In summary I was very impressed with how the tool dealt with the low light conditions I often encounter when photographing the Great Horned Owl family which has lived near my northern Minnesota home for the past four years. I do not use flash or other lighting assist tools for my photography. You may download the full resolution images, before and after, via my blog. Here is a screenshot I took during the Topaz editing process of one of my owlet images ... and a link to my blog for the full review.

TopazAI-Sharpen-1.jpg

Something was lacking for me. Since I haven't taken any photos in a while, I didn't realise how simple it would be to correct motion blur and focussing issues using current AI software. My good old Macbook Pro (2015) protested loudly with his fans when I loaded the 18MP M9 DNG into it. Every adjustment takes rather long, I would not bring up the patience to do this with every blurry shot I have, but some keepers may be worth it. It takes like 10 min or so to export the output as TIF.

It is also inconvenient to have to save it first as a TIF file before continuing, but perhaps if one can use it as a plugin, things become more efficient. I am currently using Darktable because my LR version is currently too outdated to run on Mac OS 12.6 Monterey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DeNoiseAi and SharpenAi on my old pull start, 2 stroke MacBook Pro and it slows to a crawl as well.
DeNoise produces decent results for the most part, on rare occasions it will go a little crazy and add noise in parts of the photo. Still, I’m pretty happy with it.

I agree with the whole Tiff thing, seems kinda dumb but maybe they know something I don’t.

Now if they can unmuddle the whole purchase/subscribe/version upgrade debacle for me that would be great. Oh, and if they could build the apps for the iPad Pro as well that’d also be great, thanks. I figure if Serriff can do it with their suite of apps Topaz can too.

I’ve used Topaz software for almost 10 years now. Running it on a 2010 Dell denoise and sharpen could be slow but I put a reasonably priced graphics card (~£50) and that sped things up. Photo AI wouldn’t install on it but as I’m working from hime I have a company high end laptop so I just copied stuff to a shared drive. Photo AI is amazing I still fiddle with its settings from time to time but that is due to OCD. Recently the old nachine burnt out and the new desktop works like a charm.

But Photo AI is definitely the dogs wotsits. Now is only they would add the ability to reuse its subject detection algorithm as a mask …

First image is original after cropping, then after Photo AI, and finally after Studio2 using my settings for macro images.

Attachments

• streamer.jpg
    streamer.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 11
  • streamer_ai.jpg
    streamer_ai.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 11
  • streamer_st.jpg
    streamer_st.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread