• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tortoises in Romania (3 Viewers)

Steve Elliott

Could anyone help confirm the ID of these 2 tortoises seen in eastern Romania. I gather that there are 2 species, Spur-thighed and Heerman's. One was in sand dunes along the Black Sea coast and the other in a quarry about 25km inland. Many thanks

Attachments

• Tortoise beach.jpg
    Tortoise beach.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Tortoise quarry.JPG
    Tortoise quarry.JPG
    978.9 KB · Views: 14
Note sure how to tell them apart from those pics as it seems to me that Hermann's (from French naturalist Jean Hermann, not Heerman who is an American naturalist) and Spur-thighed tortoises can be identified by :

-only one supracaudal scale in Greek, 2 in Hermann's
-Spurs on thighs of the hind legs in Spur-Thighed, absent in Hermann's
-Hermann's have a "claw" on the tip of the tail

None of this is visible on this pics...but maybe there are other fieldmarks that I'm not aware of.

Note sure how to tell them apart from those pics as it seems to me that Hermann's (from French naturalist Jean Hermann, not Heerman who is an American naturalist) and Spur-thighed tortoises can be identified by :

-only one supracaudal scale in Greek, 2 in Hermann's
-Spurs on thighs of the hind legs in Spur-Thighed, absent in Hermann's
-Hermann's have a "claw" on the tip of the tail

None of this is visible on this pics...but maybe there are other fieldmarks that I'm not aware of.
Many thanks for your comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back