• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelcase for MM4 60mm w. SDLv3 (1 Viewer)

Felixtheelix

Germany
Hello Birdwatchers,

do you have any good recommendations for a case for my MM4 60mm with the SDLv3? Something like a pelicase but a bit cheaper? In the end I will buy a random case that fits but maybe another user got a good idea?

I carry mine in a backpack and made a drop in protective “pot” from foam camping mat. 3layers so not the most compact, but seems to do the job and I still have space in the bag for binoculars and a compact tripod. Depends how you want to carry the scope and in what situations.

Peter

That was quick, thank you. I have the thin soft pouch of my Sirui VA5 video head but I’m always worried of damaging the double focus.

Totally agree, worried me too. The triple thickness foam doesn’t bend that easily and I can just make sure the “pot” is rotated in the bag so the focusser and eyepieces don’t point outward. I added a “poking up section” to cushion the eyepiece that pokes out to one side to.
The manfrotto Befree tripod folds up in a slightly padded bag so I’m not to worried about “tussles” between kit in the bag.

Peter

That was quick, thank you. I have the thin soft pouch of my Sirui VA5 video head but I’m always worried of damaging the double focus.
That pouch is awesome and I was planning on using it, too, until I returned that head for the Berlebach 510. I've actually been looking to buy a pouch like it but haven't found one. It fits the Kowa 553 really well, too.

My used MM4 60 came with an Opticron case, but its such a tight fit, especially with an Arca Swiss plate fitted to the scope, I'm not sure I'm ever going to use it.

Might seem like a dumb question, but since I'm careful with my gear in transit and it doesn't make the scope any more waterproof (and worse, I wonder if water or damp would collect underneath it), why would I need it?

My used MM4 60 came with an Opticron case, but its such a tight fit, especially with an Arca Swiss plate fitted to the scope, I'm not sure I'm ever going to use it.

Might seem like a dumb question, but since I'm careful with my gear in transit and it doesn't make the scope any more waterproof (and worse, I wonder if water or damp would collect underneath it), why would I need it?
was that the designated case? I'm looking buying one for it, but don't feel like spending €85 for a nuisance. Any other experiences with it?

was that the designated case? I'm looking buying one for it, but don't feel like spending €85 for a nuisance. Any other experiences with it?

It was the Opticron case, yes. You might have to fit the Arca Swiss plate after the case is fitted - it's when fitting and removing the case that the plate gets in the way. This may differ with different AS plates.

I think it's worth buying the case if you're touring and regularly throwing the scope in and out of the back of a car. But if it's going to be used mainly for single journeys to and from a reserve, I'm not so sure it's vital.

Thanks! I'm always backpacking and cycling, throwing it in the backpack on the carrier, so the reported padding is something that's good in my case. Most often I keep case on the Nikon ed82 scope, so sounds like it'll be fine when adding the plate after fitting the case and just keeping it on when using it. For transport only, and taking it out of the case and back in again, a roomier case sounds better.

People seem to be talking about two different things. The original post was about a Pelican style transport case but then the thread morphed into talking about stay-on cases.

People seem to be talking about two different things. The original post was about a Pelican style transport case but then the thread morphed into talking about stay-on cases.

It morphed from post 2, but OP did ask for alternative ideas - and maybe he wasn't aware of the Opticron stay-on cases. ;)

Bought a stay-on-case for my mm4 60 today, but that is quite a tight fit! Precise fit, when it's finally on right... I do like the secure protection it offers, and the click buttons to attach opened lens- and eyepiece caps. But this all really needs some breaking in...

Searched for a general scope bag to at least transport it in, but besides a long oop untraceable Kowa one, and a just as costly Canadese, I couldn't find anything but brand/model specific soc's... There's a market opportunity, I'd reckon.

Bought a stay-on-case for my mm4 60 today, but that is quite a tight fit! Precise fit, when it's finally on right... I do like the secure protection it offers, and the click buttons to attach opened lens- and eyepiece caps. But this all really needs some breaking in...

Searched for a general scope bag to at least transport it in, but besides a long oop untraceable Kowa one, and a just as costly Canadese, I couldn't find anything but brand/model specific soc's... There's a market opportunity, I'd reckon.
I really like the universal soft case by snug-fit but seem unable to find them for sale anymore. Here is a snug-fit made for Meopta but if you are law enforcement or military you can probably get it cheaper directly from Meopta.

This.

I really like the universal soft case by snug-fit but seem unable to find them for sale anymore. Here is a snug-fit made for Meopta but if you are law enforcement or military you can probably get it cheaper directly from Meopta.

This.
Nethero,

I suggest it will be hard to find a "general scope bag" either tailor-made or adjustable for any particular scope. If you are happy with a "soft" bag, any bag/holdall with handles, a zip and a shoulder strap can be turned into a tailor-made scope bag by filling it with three layers of foam rubber - a thick bottom layer, a thick middle layer of pick-and-pluck foam with the centre picked out in which the scope lies, and a thick layer on top. You can wrap the bottom and middle layers in duct tape to hold them together. If you want something with more impact protection there are always Pelikan cases, but they are expensive. I used a plastic tool box with pick and pluck foam when I had a Swarovski ATS80. My ED50 travels in a soft holdall in a short round piece of plastic ventilation pipe lined with a piece of foam rubber sleep mat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back