• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Traveling with a scope ? (1 Viewer)

cymruboy

I am about to take a trip to Arizona and wanted to take my tripod and Leica Televid. Has anyone traveled in the US with a scope/tripod since the latest security measures and has advice on this. I don't want to check the equipment as it could get damaged or stolen ? Dan

cymruboy said:
I am about to take a trip to Arizona and wanted to take my tripod and Leica Televid. Has anyone traveled in the US with a scope/tripod since the latest security measures and has advice on this. I don't want to check the equipment as it could get damaged or stolen ? Dan

I have put my scope in my carry on (and the tripod head). Rest of tripod in my check-in with undies wrapped around the sensitive bits (of the tripod).

Given everyones comments I think I'll try to take the head of ( guess it unscrews) and put the legs in my check in, with the rest in my carry on. Thanks all. Dan

Hench said:
I have put my scope in my carry on (and the tripod head). Rest of tripod in my check-in with undies wrapped around the sensitive bits (of the tripod).

Hench said:
undies wrapped around the sensitive bits (of the tripod).

There's a joke in there somewhere I'm sure??

;)

I'm away to Egypt next week and will also be taking the scope in hand luggage with the tripod going in the hold with socks and the like around it for cushioning affect.

I have been stopped from taking a tripod on as carry on because it could be used as weapon.

I think a scope is better protected in the centre of a large suitcase surrounded by all ones clothes then in a small carry on with minimal padding. I always travel with my scope well packed in my checked in baggage. The only reason I was carrying the tripod, in the instance above, was that my bag was over weight. I had to check it at the security desk in Paris having been told it was OK to carry it at check in at Heathrow and carried it on the flight to Paris.

Have a good trip

Mono

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back