• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tufts that look like little ears (2 Viewers)

plinkadinka

I'm a newbie to this board and first, want to thank you for the warm welcome.

I have a new little friend in my yard that I've never seen before and I hope someone here can help me put a name to him.

I live in southwestern lower Michigan, about thirty-five miles from Lake Michigan and about one half mile uphill from the Grand River. I'm in a suburban neighborhood with a hardwood woods at my lot line, but it's mostly open hillside. Down the street are orchards and farmland.

We recently tinted our windows and are amazed at the viewing opportunities this has opened up to us. Among them is this sparrow sized fella who looks like he has ears! He has two little tufts positioned on his cap that look much like cat ears. I KNOW THEY ARE NOT ACTUALLY EARS.

While somewhat similar to a Fox Sparrow, it isn't a match. His coloring is similar to a sparrow's with a streaked breast. I'm afraid that I was so fascinated with the tufts that I didn't notice too much else. I have to wonder if there is a variety of Fox Sparrow that could be like this?

I've only seen him a couple of times, but it was with two others with the same trait, so I don't think this is an injury or something.

They are very shy and I haven't seen them again for a day or two to try to get a picture or even a better look.

Can anyone help me?

Besides Horned Larks (which are patterned completely differently than Fox Sparrows), are there any other non-owls in North American that even have ear tufts (or whatever the correct term is)? I can't think of any.

My basic bird identifying books don't show me anything like it. You are correct that the Horned Lark is absolutely not it.

I am here at this forum because I haven't been able to identify it with traditional methods.

Hmm, I certainly can't think of any other North American bird that seems like a sparrow that would have things on their head, looking like little ears, other than a Horned Lark.

The fact that you live near open hillside is a point in favor of Horned Larks which like open areas. The fact that it is roughly the size of a Fox Sparrow would also point to a Horned Lark. However, that you don't see the typical Horned Lark head patterning in black and yellow would seem to indicate otherwise.

I suppose it is possible that you've got a very dull plumaged female(s) or a group of immatures exhibiting the horns but not yet in fullcolor plumage???

Is it possible that the darker film you've placed on your windows is somehow filtering the colors/patterns more than you imagine it would?

A picture would definitely be worth a thousand words here...

other pics

I wish I had taken a better mental picture of this bird so I could provide a better description here. I sat out in the yard reading today with my camera near and there was no sign of him or his friends. I'll keep trying, though.

I am sure of two things. 1. The tufts were a medium taupe color with a shape very much like a cat's ear. 2. He had a speckled breast.

The photos of horned larks that I've located indicate the best match for color, including the breast, to be the horned lark, but the head is just nothing like it at all. I've found a couple of photos where the horns on larks are slender, curved, longish, and pointed looking. These were about 1/8-3/16" tall little fluffy triangles. I have to say that when I read Fox Sparrow in one of my books' indices that I was sure I'd be directed to a picture of what was in my own yard because the name would have been a perfect one considering the ears.

The window tinting film hasn't caused distortion of color. It's much like wearing sunglasses. You still perceive color the same way.

I'm inclined to think that the theory that these could be young horned larks is the most likely one, though I haven't seen adults here, either. In the meantime, I will be vigilant about trying to catch him with my camera.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think it was a young horned lark, they don't get their 'ears' until they are two, they don't have spots/streaking on their fronts....they just lack the black markings and yellow chin.
Could be that they were just fledged fox sparrows and that was down showing, which is quite common with alot of birds.
I'm at a loss for a second guess, unless it was crested, instead of two ear tufts?
Hope you get to see it again and they smile pretty for the camera!!
Shelley

shelley810 said:
I don't think it was a young horned lark, they don't get their 'ears' until they are two, they don't have spots/streaking on their fronts....

Good info there Shelley - thank you. Tidbits like that help me where I'm not as up on particular species!

I'm wondering if it might be a juvenile house finch. I'll have to look through my pics to see if I can find one but they are well known for their "horns" on the top of their head.

I have lots of house finches here, and yep, they get those tufts....makes them look quite comical and they have a streaked chest. But they are really alot smaller than fox sparrows (which are one of the largest of sparrows). Check out the hermit thrush....possible that could have been the juvie? Sounds like you live close to his kind of habitat and they have similar markings to a fox sparrow.
Shelley

I have a new little friend in my yard that I've never seen before and I hope someone here can help me put a name to him.

I live in southwestern lower Michigan, about thirty-five miles from Lake Michigan and about one half mile uphill from the Grand River. I'm in a suburban neighborhood with a hardwood woods at my lot line, but it's mostly open hillside. Down the street are orchards and farmland.

We recently tinted our windows and are amazed at the viewing opportunities this has opened up to us. Among them is this sparrow sized fella who looks like he has ears! He has two little tufts positioned on his cap that look much like cat ears. I KNOW THEY ARE NOT ACTUALLY EARS.

While somewhat similar to a Fox Sparrow, it isn't a match. His coloring is similar to a sparrow's with a streaked breast. I'm afraid that I was so fascinated with the tufts that I didn't notice too much else. I have to wonder if there is a variety of Fox Sparrow that could be like this?

I've only seen him a couple of times, but it was with two others with the same trait, so I don't think this is an injury or something.

They are very shy and I haven't seen them again for a day or two to try to get a picture or even a better look.

Can anyone help me?
I live in WI. (Door Co.) and have just seen this bird. I was amazed and not sure what the tufts were, but you were right in describing them looking like cats ears. I've never seen this bird before, and I think there was another one with it, but it wouldn't come down to the feeder. I have a hanging tray feeder and that's what it was in. I wonder if I'll see it again.

Hi Janet and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Oh my!! He's wonderful RKJ!!

I wonder, you wouldn't consider putting this into the Gallery, would you. Such an interesting moult variation (can't think what else to call it LOL)

Sorry, not my photos, just links to pictures posted on the web. I have seen birds like this a number of times, but never with camera in hand.

Can anyone help me?
I googled juvenile house finch and found this:
Check the video out. He has a tiny tuft sticking up. I've seen these birds with tufts, too, and have wondered what they are. Just this morning I saw one with a tuft that went across his cap from one end to the other. But I've seen them with two tufts, too. ("Two ears") They are comical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back