• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Top Listers - Wiki entry (1 Viewer)

Sorry to get all serious folks,

I'm trying to understand the status of Pied and White Wagtail. According to avibase, the only lists that treat them as seperate species are

Avibase taxonomic concepts:
Pied Wagtail ( Motacilla yarrellii)
Avibase taxonomic concepts v. 01 (August 2013):
Birdlife checklist version 02:
All the rest see them as sub species of M. alba

Is this just a new way to extend ones life list? Or is the split still being considered?

Sorry to get all serious folks,

I'm trying to understand the status of Pied and White Wagtail. According to avibase, the only lists that treat them as seperate species are

Avibase taxonomic concepts:
Avibase taxonomic concepts v. 01 (August 2013):
Birdlife checklist version 02:
All the rest see them as sub species of M. alba

Is this just a new way to extend ones life list? Or is the split still being considered?

best way to check anything like that is our own Richard Klim's holarctic birds page
http://holarcticlisting.webs.com/checklist.htm

according to this the only semi-reliable authority which splits pied wagtail as a separate species is Dutch Birding,
but who knows what checklist Adrian Webb/whoever wrote the wiki entry is working from... UK400 certainly have their own checklist and pied wagtail is split out.
I think the fact Richard doesn't include them in his list of taxonomic authorities is fairly telling however...

James

best way to check anything like that is our own Richard Klim's holarctic birds page
http://holarcticlisting.webs.com/checklist.htm

according to this the only semi-reliable authority which splits pied wagtail as a separate species is Dutch Birding,
but who knows what checklist Adrian Webb/whoever wrote the wiki entry is working from... UK400 certainly have their own checklist and pied wagtail is split out.
I think the fact Richard doesn't include them in his list of taxonomic authorities is fairly telling however...

James

Thanks James, quite an egotistical group it would appear

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back