• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies and Damselflies 2023 (1 Viewer)

When is best time for Azure Dragonfly and where exactly?
When I went about 3 years ago, Ben Eighe visitor's center was the most reliable spot, and they were easy to find (along with Northern Emerald) about 10mins walk from the visitor's centre, if you walk along the trail that parallels the road back in a (roughly) southeastward direction. From memory mid to late June is best, but I wrote a detailed report of my trip (in this forum), with detailed directions, which might be good to read if you can find it in a search.

When I went about 3 years ago, Ben Eighe visitor's center was the most reliable spot, and they were easy to find (along with Northern Emerald) about 10mins walk from the visitor's centre, if you walk along the trail that parallels the road back in a (roughly) southeastward direction. From memory mid to late June is best, but I wrote a detailed report of my trip (in this forum), with detailed directions, which might be good to read if you can find it in a search.
I was in exactly the same place Larry describes last year 17 June and there were plenty of Azure Hawkers as well as Northern Emeralds along that path: more ordinary dragons included Golden-ringed and Large Red Damselflies.

John

I've also been to that exact spot, on a very hot 1 July in 2014 and the place was swarming with them. Also lots of Common Hawkers and one lone Northern Emerald. It was a very dry summer and I'd tried a couple of places that tend to get recommended, but found the bog pools dried up and the Azure Hawkers absent. Beinn Eighe was magical.

Beginning to wish I'd never spotted these blooming creatures! Not easy to ID are they? I went out specifically to photograph some yesterday and got them, probably Common Blue but, every time I look them up, I end up at Azure. I'd love it if you know better? Cheers
Female Damselfly Female Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly pair.jpg Female Damselfly

These are all on the edge of Darroch Wood near Blairgowrie, Scotland or next to White Loch in the same area.

Male DamselflyMale Damselfly

Love to hear what anyone thinks?

Oh yeah, actually that certainly rings a bell, appreciated Larry!

Thanks John and Swindon chap!

Think I'll make that pilgrimage in a few weeks.

Beginning to wish I'd never spotted these blooming creatures! Not easy to ID are they? I went out specifically to photograph some yesterday and got them, probably Common Blue but, every time I look them up, I end up at Azure. I'd love it if you know better? Cheers
View attachment 1513004 View attachment 1513005
View attachment 1513006 View attachment 1513007

These are all on the edge of Darroch Wood near Blairgowrie, Scotland or next to White Loch in the same area.

View attachment 1513008View attachment 1513009

Number 4 (the blurred one 151309) is a Common Blue.

Last edited:

all Common Blue Damselflies. 1st 4 female, last 2 male.

The BDS are running a guided walk targeting Azure Hawker and Northern Emerald at Kinlochewe on 17 June if anyone fancies that. No charge, but sign-up in advance is needed. I would imagine this will be walking to pretty much the spot several of us have recommended, but from the other direction.

This is probably a good moment to plug their events page, which has a mixture of BDS walks & talks, plus other organisations' events that feature dragonfly interest.

No photos but a grand morning at Paxton Pits NR yesterday morning...........3 Norfolk Hawkers, 1 Emperor, 2 Common Hawkers, 4 Four-spotted Chasers, 3 Common Darters, 30+ Black-tailed Skimmers, loads of Large Red-eyed Damselflies and Azure Damselflies.

Also Cuckoo, Red Kite, and Kingfisher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back