• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Northumberland - slaley forest - 15.06.10 - tree pipit? (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
I'm assuming it's a tree pipit, it's in a tree? also it has a strong supercillium and sub moustacial stripe and is very pale below, its flank streaks seem very fine. can anyone confirm please? Thanks, Pete

Attachments

• Slaley 014.jpg
    Slaley 014.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Slaley 015.jpg
    Slaley 015.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Slaley 016.jpg
    Slaley 016.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Slaley 017.jpg
    Slaley 017.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Slaley 018.jpg
    Slaley 018.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 122
Hi all,
This is a Meadow Pipit for me. Note that this species regularly perches on top of trees, contrary to what some may think, but never, in my experience, within the canopy of a tree, as is regularly seen with Tree.
The bill seems too thin and dark overall for that of a Tree Pipit, the breast streaking appears to 'coalesce' to form a hint of a larger spot (commonly seen in Meadow), there appears to be no paler ear covert spot (this can be faint, or occasionally absent, on Tree, admittedly, but many show this), and the flank streaking seems to be of similar thickness to that on the breast.
Regards,
Harry

Yes i would say it was Meadow pipit as others have pointed out thin bill and the streaking on the flanks look the same thickness to that of the breast.Normally Tree pipits have bold streaks on the breast and the streaks on the flanks are usually thinner.I have to say i have never seen Meadow Pipits right on top of trees before but seen them on small bushes.

That old conundrum... it's a 'monkey puzzle tree' but I don't see a monkey!

Wouldn't know what a tree pipit looks like so can't help on that one, but does like mippit to me for what it's worth.
g

Thanks for all your comments people, looks like I haven't seen a tree pipit for certain yet. Nevermind, I have a few more photo's I'll see if any of those are tree pipit. In future I'll do a bit more research on behaviour and calls before going out, and hopefully get a video.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back