• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Undescribed (6 Viewers)

in HBW 15, page 435, taxonomy.

"N races have sometimes been regarded as constituing a distinct species. Birds from mountains of S Bahia may represent a further, hitherto undescribed species, based partly on larger size and also suspected vocal differences; taxonomic study currently in progress."

Do we know more today ?

Check xano-canto for starters, which comment could also apply to retrospectively to the author of the species account!

I believe it was Sibley & Monroe, was it not (?), that originally suggested that nominate thoracicus of the Atlantic Forest (AF) might be treated specifically, under the name Rio de Janeiro Greenlet. (Sibley & Monroe isn't listed in the species account references, but don't get me started on that subject again.) I am not sure why Dave Brewer seems to think that the Bahia popn. is anyway different to elsewhere in the AF (which is what the text implies at least). If you check xeno-canto, you'll see that there is remarkable uniformity in voice across the AF range (and that thoracicus does indeed occur in São Paulo, considered only "possibly" part of the species' range by Brewer). This species is quite common in parts of the city of Rio de Janeiro; I sometimes have it singing outside my window. To my ear the voice of birds in western Amazonia and north of the Amazon in Brazil has always sounded pretty much identical to H. t. thoracicus, but the Guianan recordings on XC sound a bit different, and might merit closer inspection yet.

As an aside, just look at the "skimpy" list of references 'attached' to this species. No mention of standard references like Sick (1997, or even the English edition of 1993) or Stotz et al. (1996), both of which could have amplified the species' habitat preferences, especially for AF birds. There isn't even an altitudinal range reported for this species in the account!

I believe it was Sibley & Monroe, was it not (?), that originally suggested that nominate thoracicus of the Atlantic Forest (AF) might be treated specifically, under the name Rio de Janeiro Greenlet.
Hylophilus (thoracicus) thoracicus Rio de Janeiro Greenlet is mentioned as a likely species by Ridgeley & Tudor 2009, but it's not listed as a possible species by Monroe & Sibley 1993.

Richard

OK, I admit I inadvertently paid Burt Monroe a disservice. Rio de Janeiro Greenlet (great misnomer) was split by Sibley (1996) alone. Usually such undocumented and unsupported splits therein are referenced to a Ridgely pers. comm., though not in this case. I love the rationale, i.e. none, used to support the "possible" split in Ridgely & Tudor (2009). Yet more taxonomy based on nothing but geography as far as I can see.

I'm not sure where Dave Brewer got the bit about size of Bahian birds from. There can't be many specimens from there, as the species was only recently discovered in the state (Gonzaga et al. 1995, BCI, which, unsurprisingly, is yet another reference absent from the species' bibliograhy in HBW). Hellmayr might discuss size of AF birds in general, but I can't be bothered to look!

Hellmayr might discuss size of AF birds in general, but I can't be bothered to look!

In Hellmayr VIII, p. 160:

"Hylophilus thoracicus thoracicus Temminck. LEMON-CHESTED HYLOPHILUS.
Birds from northern Sao Paulo and Minas Geraes, while identical in coloration with more northern examples, are slightly larger (wing, 56-58, against 52-55; tail, 53-57, against 47-53) with stronger bills, and thus approach H. p. poicilotis. Nordmann's type, although partly discolored by preservation in alcohol, shows the same large proportions and, no doubt, came from Minas Geraes and not from Rio de Janeiro, as stated on the label. An adult male from Victoria de Botucatu and one from the Rio Parana, Sao Paulo, are typical of the present form, while another specimen from the first-named locality cannot be separated from poicilotis. Birds from Ceara (cearensis Snethlage) are indistinguishable from Bahia skins, but their slightly smaller size, in comparison to those from Minas and Sao Paulo, seems too insignificant a divergency to warrant their discrimination."

Thank you Guy :t:

Daniel,

Thanks for looking in Hellmayr (Cat. Bds. Americas), but surely you can’t be reading the text for thoracicus?

Much of the text you copied is very similar to that in Hellmayr’s (1929) A contribution to the ornithology of northeastern Brazil, which I just pulled off the shelf. Only therein the text relates to (Pachysylvia) poicilotis amaurocephala (better known to readers here as Grey-eyed Greenlet). Not only does Hellmayr refer to specimens being inseparable from poicilotis (which is quite hard to conceive, if he was discussing thoracicus; see the paintings in HBW), but “Nordmann’s” type surely refers to amaurocephala. Nordmann had no input into describing any taxa of H. thoracicus. Finally, cearensis, Snethlage, 1925, lies in the synonymy of amaurocephalus (as it now is), not thoracicus. Some of the localities mentioned, e.g. Ceará, the Rio Paraná, etc., are far from the known range of thoracicus!

but surely you can’t be reading the text for thoracicus?[/I]!

Oops !! Sorry.

Yes you are right. The footnote for thoracicus is on the following page, 161:

"There is remarkably little variation among the ten specimens before us. In opposition to what obtains in H. t. aemulus and H. t. griseiventris, they all have the temporal region and sides of the neck dingy grayish, the cheeks pale gray freckled with white, and the auriculars soiled brownish gray, very rarely with a slight olivaceous tinge, which is, however, much less pronounced than in the allied races. H. t. thoracicus differs, besides, by somewhat duller greenish upper parts, grayish (instead of warbler green) sides of the head, more whitish throat, brighter yellow (wax yellow rather than pyrite yellow) pectoral band, more buffy instead of pale grayish abdomen, much longer tail, and darker horn-color (plumbeous in life, according to Natterer) bill and feet. Wing, 57-61, (female) 55-58; tail, 55-60; bill, 12-13."

I am not familiar with this region (I have never been there unfortunately) and the abnormal range did not strike me.

Last edited:
The San Isidro Owl mentioned in post 4 of this thread, do we know with what genus that should end up in?

thanks
Niels

Though not directly related...

An interesting owl was also photographed on the east slope in southeast Peru recently, which might be a hybrid between Rufous-banded and Black-banded Owls, or something quite different.

I believe the finders are writing a short note (with photos) for Neotropical Birding.

Some interesting stuff mentioned in Reed and Bush Warblers. Peter Kennerley, David Pearson.

- Bradypterus carpalis: the distinctive characters of a population recently discovered at Lake Mweru (N. Zambia) suggest that these birds merit recognition as a subspecies. There is a photograph in the book.

- Bradypterus timorensis: rediscovered on Timor in December 2009 (no confirmed records since March 1932). Another population was discovered on neighbouring Alor in September 2009 by Philippe Verbelen (no previous records from this island) and based upon differences in song frequency this population is believed to represent an undescribed subspecies. Description is in preperation apparently (Verbelen & Trainor in prep.)

Just got back home after 3 months abroad so have only leafed through the book, very impressed so far though:t:

Last edited:
Though not directly related...

An interesting owl was also photographed on the east slope in southeast Peru recently, which might be a hybrid between Rufous-banded and Black-banded Owls, or something quite different.

I believe the finders are writing a short note (with photos) for Neotropical Birding.

Would that one also be most likely to be in Ciccaba?

thanks
Niels

My apologies for the late reply to the last two queries, the answer is "yes" in both cases, although it's worth remembering in respect of the second question that Ciccaba is not always maintained as a separate genus.

Both Mantaro Wren and Mantaro Thornbird were new sights for me, thanks!

May be worth mentioning also another discovery - the Large-footed Tapaculo Scytalopus macropus on Satipo road sings differently compared to the one known from i.e. Carpish. So a split is in order! However, the type for S. macropus is from Maraynioc, in Junin - which is far closer to Satipo road than Unchog/Carpish - and therefore it is likely that the type sounds the same as the Satipo road type. Hence, the Large-footed Tapaculo that everyone knows from Unchog/Carpish needs a new a new name

Striped Owl

Mauricio Ugarte-Lewis on Birdingperu today:
Striped Owl form

Hi Everyone:

I am glad to inform you that with my colleagues Fernando Angulo from Birdlife/CORBIDI and Victor Gamarra from MUSA/UNIANDES, are now describing a new form of striped owl Pseudoscops (Asio) clamator, the only population of this species known from Peruvian – Ecuadorian western slope.

We have collected different records of the species in the last years, including study skins, voice recordings, photos, and comments from other observers, we also have covered most of the online resources (Xenocanto, Macaulay Library, ORNIS, etc). As far we know this new owl inhabits forested dry areas from southern Ecuador to southern Peru, we have confirmed records of at least 10 different localities in the whole range. Apparently nowadays the distribution is relictual since we had review archeological material from 800 years ago in localities with the presence of forests in the past.

The bird also have morphological differences, starting with the eye color what make the main difference with the rest of subspecies of striped owl in the rest of the distribution, some other features as measurements and body coloration are also noticeable.

Ecological differences on habitat selection and social behavior is also known, vocal differences with the rest of the subspecies are obvious but records are scarce. The genetic part of the work is ongoing and we are waiting for the final results.

We would like to ask if any of you have or is aware of someone who have any evidence of this new form of owl, we are interested in any kind of records but specially on voice records, any collected specimen, incl. tissue, bones, feathers, etc and photos. Of course any help would be formally recognized in the future publications.

Thanks in advance for any comment and help, Regards

L.Mauricio Ugarte-Lewis

Curador - Área de Ornitología,Coleccion Científica
Museo de Historia Natural U.N.S.A
Luna Pizarro 925, Los Pinos
Vallecito - Cercado
Arequipa, Perú
http://ornitologiamusa.blogspot.com/
http://birding-south-peru.blogspot.com/

Richard (with thanks to Fernando Angulo Pratolongo for forwarding on NEOORN)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back