• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird Malheur, Oregon, USA (1 Viewer)

BillB

Please help us identify this bird seen at the P Ranch, in the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon, USA. 17 June, 2011. It was possibly about House Finch size. The photo shows the bird from the front, with a very vivid golden breast color.

Attachments

• 1061 Unknown bird near P Ranch, Malheur, OR, 17 June 2011.jpg
    1061 Unknown bird near P Ranch, Malheur, OR, 17 June 2011.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 252
Hmmmm ... That's a tough one. Perhaps a blackbird bill though nothing else seems to fit with that (yellow-headed blackbird) or any thing else that I'm familiar with. I've been to Malheur and throughout the west and nothing matches. But then again it's Friday evening and .... hopefully fugl or some of the other aces on western birds will chime in.

A 2nd look in the bright light of an early morning ... Bullock's is certainly the only thing that makes sense but, and this is a big but, there's much not consistent with Bullock's. As Andy notes no hint of color in the outer tail feathers and that extensive black on the breast, as well as the yellow are off. Perhaps some kind of genetic freak or a hybrid?

I am wondering if the bird might be a Cliff Swallow? (Their breast is not always white (the golden breast might be due to some substance), but the bill does not look quite right??) Just thought I would "throw this in the ring".

A 2nd look in the bright light of an early morning ... Bullock's is certainly the only thing that makes sense but, and this is a big but, there's much not consistent with Bullock's. As Andy notes no hint of color in the outer tail feathers and that extensive black on the breast, as well as the yellow are off. Perhaps some kind of genetic freak or a hybrid?

The tail, when closed, can appear black ( http://www.outdooralabama.com/watchable-wildlife/what/Birds/bfa/buo.cfm ) and that extensive black is the back, not the breast.

As for the yellow rather than orange rump, could that be age related?

James

The poster indicated it's a front view - which I agree, but can see how you can look at it that way.

Might be helpful - From Cornell's lab site:
"Immature male with orange-yellow face, a black bib, black stripe through eyes, a dusky top of head and back of neck, striped back, and orange tail."

Explains the black chest, but not the black tail.
It does look like an Oriole beak to me.

The poster indicated it's a front view - which I agree, but can see how you can look at it that way.

Might be helpful - From Cornell's lab site:
"Immature male with orange-yellow face, a black bib, black stripe through eyes, a dusky top of head and back of neck, striped back, and orange tail."

Explains the black chest, but not the black tail.
It does look like an Oriole beak to me.

Hard to think what else it could be. Try as I might I can’t turn it into a meadowlark!

and that extensive black is the back, not the breast.

As for the yellow rather than orange rump, could that be age related?

James

On a third inspection, I agree that this is from the back with the yellow rump displayed. And, as others have noted, the yellow is consistent with it being a first year bird (immature male Bullock's).

If it were a front view (which is what I first thought and many others do too), the black in the front would be far more extensive than the 'black bib' that's characteristic of the immature male.

Be that as it may, this is a back view. I doubt if there's anyone on this forum who's never misread a bird in the field, gods know I have, and in this instance th OP has. Take a close look at where the branch and the bird intersect; the bird is in front, ergo it is facing away from the photographer. Bullock's Oriole, dorsal view.

James

EDIT - Cross post with Steve, glad I'm not alone!;)

I initially took that to be feathers overlapping the branch, but I can be convinced you're right - makes more sense.
I think we're all agreeing on the Bullock's.

Thank you all for your time on sorting this out. After re-examining this photo (and a few others of very poor quality) I agree that the view is of the bird backside (my wife still maintains it is a front view). It is hard to understand why the tail appears all black; lighting maybe? Also, is it possible that this is a hybrid oriole?

Regards, BillB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back