• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Warbler - Lancaster, Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
A friend of mine photographed this bird on September 28. Our initial thoughts were of one thing but upon looking at the pics we thought it was something else.

What do you think?

Mike

Attachments

• unknown_warbler_01.jpg
    unknown_warbler_01.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 128
  • unknown_warbler_02.jpg
    unknown_warbler_02.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 137
Female Black-throated Blue Warbler
Among other things, note: white at the base of the primaries, faint dark mask through the eye, thin, short white supercilium, and a lack of really any other pattern.

Female Black-throated Blue Warbler
Among other things, note: white at the base of the primaries, faint dark mask through the eye, thin, short white supercilium, and a lack of really any other pattern.

Agreed....I can see it now!

It was so drab that we were initially thinking Orange-crowned.

It was joined later by 3 other BTBW, and after looking at the pics, that is what we decided it was.

Thanks for the confirmation,
Mike

We do not get very many of these here in Missouri as they are usually found back east in the US. This one had me scratching my head? But it does look good for a first year, female, Black-throated Blue Warbler.

Just to think...that It will morph into this (gender permitting)..WOW!

Attachments

• Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
    Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 63
It will not "morph" into a male, because it is a female. Young male BT Blues (in first basic or formative plumage) looks like adult males.
Andy

I did qualify the statement..(gender permitting), a momentary lapse of concentration on my part, I will herewith publicly ''slap my wrists'' ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back