• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown warbler (2 Viewers)

Bill shape and wing patch look wrong for Cape May (specially wing patch is wrong for....all warblers?), but after some searching I'd say my vote goes for a C. May, a moulting male? Tough this one!

well, Mr. Harper, I just don't see the white wing patch, do you? I think I see two very distinct wing bars, tho I must say that there appear to be dark streaks there. Don't mind me , I'm just one of those American "experts". Maybe I should find their forum? annie burton

I'm American too, Lora... and I still see heavy black streaking. I see a lot of white on the wing and it looks like a very heavy greater covert bar with a shorter narrower median, but the extent of the white is unclear-- which still matches our atypical Cape May... which I originally called a Y-R.

Just found this thread, and was having fun with this bird. I think it's a Blackburnian Warbler. First of all, the bird in question has a large amount of white on the ends of the greater coverts. This rules out Cape May (which is the only other realistic option) which has most of the white on the median coverts. As some of you have already mentioned, the beak is not right for a Cape May but looks great for a Blackburnian (slightly two toned). Also, Blackburnian has dark wing feathers while the Cape May has greenish edges to the feathers (no greenishness evident in photos). And lastly, the Cape May has a more tame look, at least to me, but the Blackburnian has a wilder, fiery appearance, which it seems IMO this bird has.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back