• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (104 Viewers)

Hi Gav,

Bird Migration by Ian Newton is a book from the 'New Naturalist' series published by Collins. List price £30 (paperback) - I got mine from Amazon for about 20 quid.

BTW, if anyone has a chance to go for the female Red-footed Falcon near Ledbury, Herefordshire, it's well worth it. I went after work and it showed down to about 20 yards perched on low posts (even a goal post) on a sports field. It was so good I might even go back tomorrow after work (with my camera this time).

Hi Gav,

Bird Migration by Ian Newton is a book from the 'New Naturalist' series published by Collins. List price £30 (paperback) - I got mine from Amazon for about 20 quid.

BTW, if anyone has a chance to go for the female Red-footed Falcon near Ledbury, Herefordshire, it's well worth it. I went after work and it showed down to about 20 yards perched on low posts (even a goal post) on a sports field. It was so good I might even go back tomorrow after work (with my camera this time).

Hi Dave, cheers for that.

I was considering going for the Red Footed Falcon today, I used to drink in the Full Pitcher when I worked on the farm in Ledbury so I know the area well.

Good News!!

Great news - Andy Harris of the Trust informed me today that a grant application for significant investment into the reserve over the next 2 years has been approved (subject to planning permission where appropriate).

The works comprise:

- Replacement of the existing Avocet Hide (Tower Hide at the Flashes) with a new two storey structure.
- Replacement of the existing Bittern Hide at the Moors Pool (West Hide at the Moors Pool)
- Refurbishment of disabled access bird hide at the Moors Pool (Water Rail Hide / Concrete Hide)
- Construction of new bridges and boardwalk at the Moors Pool at the rear of the West Hide
- Path repairs at the Flashes (predominately between the two hides)
- Repairs to the handrail and steps at the Flashes entrance

Sadly not everything could be included eg the Hen Pool but these are major steps. I wont reveal the accompanying figures but it is fair enough to comment that this is a very significant investment into the reserve at a time of scarce resources. Fully credit goes to Andy, Sian and the other officers of the Trust in making this happen.

Lots of thanks also goes to all of you out there who regularly (and irregularly) visit the reserve and have generated some much interest in the place over the last few years; without this volume of visitors and positive feedback about the reserve, its environment and the whole experience there wouldnt have been so much drive behind this programme of works.

We will work closely with the Trust to ensure that works are undertaken in a sympathetic and correctly timed manner (acknowledging that there will inevitably be a degree of disruption and compromise) and that the habitat provided at both the Flashes and the Moors will continue to complement these works.

Phil

That is absolutely awesome news Phil, UW is already a top reserve with regards to habitat management, by the sounds of it when the aesthetics are sorted out it could quite possibly be the best reserve in the midlands :t:

From what i understand most RBShrikes undergoe a 'loop' migration - returning from their Wintering grounds in Africa via the Arabian peninsular, up through the Levant and then fanning out Westwards thru the Balkans and arriving in the Westerly breeding grounds later and in the Autumn just heading South and West down thru North Africa - an interesting pattern hence the overshoots in Scotland in late-Spring from the later arriving birds in the central Baltic area - it is presumed in order to follow the 'better' weather and the associated invertebrate food supply....

- Replacement of the existing Avocet Hide (Tower Hide at the Flashes) with a new two storey structure.
- Replacement of the existing Bittern Hide at the Moors Pool (West Hide at the Moors Pool)
- Refurbishment of disabled access bird hide at the Moors Pool (Water Rail Hide / Concrete Hide)
- Construction of new bridges and boardwalk at the Moors Pool at the rear of the West Hide

Brilliant! Nice to see that the Trust has its priorities correct.
I especially like the sound of the Double Decker Flashes hide. I assume the lower deck's a kitchen :-O :clap::bounce:

From what i understand most RBShrikes undergoe a 'loop' migration - returning from their Wintering grounds in Africa via the Arabian peninsular, up through the Levant and then fanning out Westwards thru the Balkans and arriving in the Westerly breeding grounds later and in the Autumn just heading South and West down thru North Africa - an interesting pattern hence the overshoots in Scotland in late-Spring from the later arriving birds in the central Baltic area - it is presumed in order to follow the 'better' weather and the associated invertebrate food supply....

Yeah, that makes sense and I have heard of the 'loop migration' in RB Shrikes. I borrowed a book a few years ago on the birds of Spain (published in 2007 I think). This said that, up to that point, there were only 3 or 4 records of RB Shrike at Gibraltar. Similarly, this species is very rare in Morocco. Birdlife International estimate >240,000 breeding pairs in northern Spain plus a few hundred in Portugal. Therefore, this 'loop' on the return journey must have a strong easterly bias also.

For Info: Found the attached diagram in an old paper...

Attachments

• Red backed Shrike Migration (1971).pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Great news - Andy Harris of the Trust informed me today that a grant application for significant investment into the reserve over the next 2 years has been approved (subject to planning permission where appropriate).

The works comprise:

Sadly not everything could be included eg the Hen Pool but these are major steps. I wont reveal the accompanying figures but it is fair enough to comment that this is a very significant investment into the reserve at a time of scarce resources. Fully credit goes to Andy, Sian and the other officers of the Trust in making this happen.

Lots of thanks also goes to all of you out there who regularly (and irregularly) visit the reserve and have generated some much interest in the place over the last few years; without this volume of visitors and positive feedback about the reserve, its environment and the whole experience there wouldnt have been so much drive behind this programme of works.

We will work closely with the Trust to ensure that works are undertaken in a sympathetic and correctly timed manner (acknowledging that there will inevitably be a degree of disruption and compromise) and that the habitat provided at both the Flashes and the Moors will continue to complement these works.

Phil

If I can add this is absolutely awesome news, I am delighted the reserve is getting facillities to match the quality of the management, wildlife and personell involved with UW on a day to day basis...B :)

Hi Gav,

It would have been worth it had it not been for tardy reporting today (bird present 6.48 news put out 9.46) wasting time and petrol as the bird flew off 10.20. If the Red Foot had been in Worcestershire the news would have been out in 3mins not 3hours.

It would have been worth it had it not been for tardy reporting today (bird present 6.48 news put out 9.46) wasting time and petrol as the bird flew off 10.20. If the Red Foot had been in Worcestershire the news would have been out in 3mins not 3hours.

A very fair point Chris.

Unfortunately some of our neighbours are still in the dark ages when it comes to relaying news.......

Brian

Maybe the birder concerned does not have a pager etc or access to the internet and did not report until they got back home? I dont........Do you know where it went etc? I know it's an UW forum but as the bird has been mentioned there might be better info forthcoming..............and, i had intended going tomorrow rather than the WTR;)

Maybe the birder concerned does not have a pager etc or access to the internet and did not report until they got back home? I dont........Do you know where it went etc? I know it's an UW forum but as the bird has been mentioned there might be better info forthcoming..............and, i had intended going tomorrow rather than the WTR;)

Surely all birders have a mobile phone?

I would have posted on the Hereford forum but the last post on there was 4 months ago.

Apparently the bird was seen to fly off quite strongly and lost to view.

Surely all birders have a mobile phone?

I would have posted on the Hereford forum but the last post on there was 4 months ago.

Apparently the bird was seen to fly off quite strongly and lost to view.

Hi Chris - it was heading south east so it may it to Worcs although probably not UW or Bittell. Is the big O still about? (and I dont mean Roy Orbison although after not seeing the RFF you probably were Crying)

Phil

Last edited:
Back in the real world after visiting Herefordshire for a No show red foot.
The Flashes are drying out rapidly away from the main water body ie the channels and shallow pools of the delta saucer etc. Although saying that the LRP's are loving it.
The water level is at 0.36.
Waders were as follows:- Avocet 28, LRP 10, Lapwing 4, Green Sand 3, Ringed Plover (hiaticula)
also 4 Gadwall
B :)John

Great news on the hide replacements.

What happens to the old ones?

We could do with some at Grimley;)

Brian

Sadly even if you could site them at Grimley I think they would be such a mess once dissembled they would be of little use (unless you wanted to burn off the encroaching trees along the shore line ...) ;)

Sadly even if you could site them at Grimley I think they would be such a mess once dissembled they would be of little use (unless you wanted to burn off the encroaching trees along the shore line ...) ;)

The west hide on the moors isn't in that bad nick. Surely it should be possible to take it apart carefully. I favour re-siting it by the Hen Pool if possible (better than the 'shed' currently residing there) - the legs wouldn't need to be so tall and could be cut down to suit. I agree that the main flashes hide is probably past its best but parts could still be used. Alternatively, we could put them somewhere and see if Swallows nest in them. The wood could be used to make nest boxes for Owls, Kestrels, etc. Endless uses.....

Failing that, we could flog it to the biking birder as his new house.:-O

The west hide on the moors isn't in that bad nick. Surely it should be possible to take it apart carefully. I favour re-siting it by the Hen Pool if possible (better than the 'shed' currently residing there) - the legs wouldn't need to be so tall and could be cut down to suit. I agree that the main flashes hide is probably past its best but parts could still be used. Alternatively, we could put them somewhere and see if Swallows nest in them. The wood could be used to make nest boxes for Owls, Kestrels, etc. Endless uses.....

Failing that, we could flog it to the biking birder as his new house.:-O

Was really impressed with your recycling ideas Dave, they are along the same lines as mine. Then when I got to that last line I spat my tea all over the screen, I was literally PMSL 8-P:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back