• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (92 Viewers)

The only things to add to John's earlier sightings are a pair of Shelduck, a pair of LBBGs taking and eating a Mallard duckling and two Curlews in over the Sailing Pool as I got back to my car. The Whitethroat was still singing by the Sailing Pool car park, with a Lesser Whitethroat singing on the opposite side of the pool.

The transmitter field has been mowed today, so not good news foe any potential breeding by Skylarks. I saw a fox in this field as I walked back from the hides, as well as seeing the usual one in the field beyond the 3rd flash carrying what looked like a rabbit.

The west hide on the moors isn't in that bad nick. Surely it should be possible to take it apart carefully. I favour re-siting it by the Hen Pool if possible (better than the 'shed' currently residing there) - the legs wouldn't need to be so tall and could be cut down to suit.

Although the Moors hide itself might be a better structure than the existing Hen Pool hide it would be a pity to put it up on stilts at any height. The charm of the Hen Pool hide is that you can get so close to the reed warblers (and bluethroats).

Peter

Nothing further to report from the Flashes this evening except that a heavy shower started just as I was leaving around 10pm. You never know it might have brought something exciting down for the morning. ;)

Ever the optimist.

Paul

Although the Moors hide itself might be a better structure than the existing Hen Pool hide it would be a pity to put it up on stilts at any height. The charm of the Hen Pool hide is that you can get so close to the reed warblers (and bluethroats).

Peter

Fair enough Peter, I'm sure a ground-level (or near to) hide could be styled from the existing moors west hide. Maybe even a multi-level (double decker) using the oodles of spare wood that we'll have. ;)

Personally, I think a slightly raised hide would give better views into the Hen Pool reedbed. Don't know what others think - one to debate, perhaps.

Last edited:
The charm of the Hen Pool hide is that you can get so close to the reed warblers (and bluethroats).

I agree. This evening a reed warbler was almost in the hide it was so close.

But on the other hand I like taller hides too and I'd like to see into the Hen Pool (if that is what is beyond the reeds). Could it not stand nearby to give even greater choice. Then when the next bluethroat turns up you can fit more people in ;)

Paul

Peter
I must admit you do get an intimacy with the marsh birds when in this hide but its limitations were highlighted when the Bluethroat appeared. It could do with some internal structural changes but generally it does fit in with the ambience of the area.
:t:John

I must admit you do get an intimacy with the marsh birds when in this hide but its limitations were highlighted when the Bluethroat appeared. It could do with some internal structural changes but generally it does fit in with the ambience of the area.
:t:John

Just to add my thoughts - I've have previously suggested moving the hide completely about 40 yards to the right of the existing site to the high point of the bank. This then gives views across the pool (to a degree as the reeds are now so tall) and also down the part of the pool that stretches alongside the brook towards the sewage works. You could then also maintain a screen at the existing site if required.

Just to add my thoughts - I've have previously suggested moving the hide completely about 40 yards to the right of the existing site to the high point of the bank. This then gives views across the pool (to a degree as the reeds are now so tall) and also down the part of the pool that stretches alongside the brook towards the sewage works. You could then also maintain a screen at the existing site if required.

Mike
why not keep the old one and use some of the flashes hide to build another one where you suggest.
B :)john

We could do, just needs a new floor and a few other repairs. Just thought perhaps a screen would allow you to watch without folding yourself in half first :-O:-O

In case anyone didnt get that there is another Red-necked Phalarope at the Flashes this evening (courtesy of Gavo). This is the third for the year and the sixth in five years. Hopefully Gavo will log on later to let us know if its a male or female.

2 RNP also today at Eyebrook Res, Leics so obviously a bit of movement. Hope it stays for the WeBS count on Sunday.

Last edited:
Arrived in the flashes hide at 19.45 to be told there was a RNP, once I had recovered from the shock I called it in to John, according to the log it was first noted at 14.00 I assumed nobody had reported it has I had not heard from Brian.

It's a female, in glorious summer plumage, when I left at 21.20 there were 3 Greensands, 4 Curlew and a Ringed Plover, as well as 16 Avo juvs and 2 LRP juvs

Arrived in the flashes hide at 19.45 to be told there was a RNP, once I had recovered from the shock I called it in to John, according to the log it was first noted at 14.00 I assumed nobody had reported it has I had not heard from Brian.

It's a female, in glorious summer plumage, when I left at 21.20 there were 3 Greensands, 4 Curlew and a Ringed Plover, as well as 16 Avo juvs and 2 LRP juvs
Gav any ideas on the initials in the log book

Disappointing that news didnt get out earlier, esp with the range of contact numbers in the front of the log book; perhaps people think it is a common bird now! Might need to consider putting pre-paid mobiles in the hide so there is no execuse :-O:-O

Not sure if anyone is down there yet (will text Andy P in a mo); our usual suspect Mr Walker is busy not seeing the White-throated Robin in Hartlepool.

Disappointing that news didnt get out earlier, esp with the range of contact numbers in the front of the log book; perhaps people think it is a common bird now! Might need to consider putting pre-paid mobiles in the hide so there is no execuse :-O:-O

Not sure if anyone is down there yet (will text Andy P in a mo); our usual suspect Mr Walker is busy not seeing the White-throated Robin in Hartlepool.

Ouch a bit of gloating me thinks you twitcher8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back