• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Disappointing that news didnt get out earlier, esp with the range of contact numbers in the front of the log book; perhaps people think it is a common bird now! Might need to consider putting pre-paid mobiles in the hide so there is no execuse :-O:-O

At least something was put in the book though Phil, which isn't always the case. What it proves is that there are so many people going to Upton these days that are not in the know. Although quite a straight forward species in this plumage to ID, many people spend such a short time in the hides many other species must go undetected. There are many people who do not have mobiles or computers or simply just go birding not realising that others would be interested in seeing it. There are also others who simply aren't interested in sharing:h?:. Like you say we have tried to encourage a more community based feel at Upton can we do any more ?? Just a good job Gav went last night:t:. We will have to set up a rota at migration time between us. No coincidence that weekends, Tuesday's and Wednesday's is when all the birds are found.
So who wants Monday's, Thursday's or Friday's :smoke:
B :)John

Will be gutted for him if he doesnt connect as it has been present all week. Andy P is on his way to North Uist and I cant down there this morning so we are relying on Gert or whenever Mark gets out of bed.

I'll be down later after 11am so if you want a freebie best get there before I do.:-O
Just like a geazer there on Thursday said to me ..." I'm only just having a look I don't need to pay do I"8-P . No carry on mate the next time your passing Wembley nip in and tell em the same ( I did say the Blues at first ..but then realised that they pay us to watch em) |:S|

Last edited:
At least something was put in the book though Phil, which isn't always the case. What it proves is that there are so many people going to Upton these days that are not in the know. Although quite a straight forward species in this plumage to ID, many people spend such a short time in the hides many other species must go undetected. There are many people who do not have mobiles or computers or simply just go birding not realising that others would be interested in seeing it. There are also others who simply aren't interested in sharing:h?:. Like you say we have tried to encourage a more community based feel at Upton can we do any more ?? Just a good job Gav went last night:t:. We will have to set up a rota at migration time between us. No coincidence that weekends, Tuesday's and Wednesday's is when all the birds are found.
So who wants Monday's, Thursday's or Friday's :smoke:

I think we're just going to have to accept that there are those who a) don't see why they should go to the trouble of putting news out b) aren't aware that others might like to see the scarcer species they find or c) have no idea how to go about putting news out. If b) perhaps also there is no concept of what constitutes rare or scarce, either nationally or on a local basis?

Perhaps we could put contact numbers in the hides rather than just in the book? Although that won't guaratee they'll be seen/looked for :smoke:

Makes you wonder if news of something of the ilk of White-throated Robin (just to be topical ;)) would get out, or even a re-locating Red-footed Falcon. Although I'm sure no one would phone through a Marsh Tit ... |=\|

At present NO sign of Phalarope:-C

Certainly not up to 9.30am. Got to the Moors at 6am and then the Flashes.
Garden Warbler and Goldcrest on Moors and Cuckoo over.
Flashes - 3 Green Sandpiper still, - Fox on the shore of the 3rd Flash:C

Lots of young warblers about, Willow Warbler - Moors, Blackcap, Chiffs and Whitethroat on the Flashes.

Cheers

Gavo said defo a different bird to the one seen on Tuesday. Thus at least 3 individual's this spring.

Today at the Moors again lots of warbler activity as Gert mentioned. A family party of reed warbler were staked out in hawthorn in the 'secret garden', emphasising the need for scrubland close to reed beds for chick rearing and food provision.
Also in there were singing willow warbler, chiffchaff and blackcap plus foraging garden warbler. Along the east track more warblers sang and fed including Sedge, reed, chiffchaff, blackcap and a whitethroat was in Amy's marsh.
Over and around Amy's marsh several sand martins flew tantalizingly close to the 'nesting bank'.
Waders today were 6 Oystercatcher (incl 2 young), 2 lapwing and a snipe again in the same area as previously.
11 GCG (incl 1 chick), the two Little grebe chicks were doing well in the Broadmeadow pool with one adult, another bird was heard calling in the NE corner. Common Terns continued to feed their young. A Hobby was soaring to the south of Amy's mid afternoon.

At the Flashes late afternoon.
The water was now at 0.34/0.35 - to put this in perspective on the same date last year the water was 11 cm higher.:eek!:
No sign of the RN phal ( maybe tomorrow:smoke:)
Pretty static on the wader front: Avocet 28, LRP 8, Lapwing 4, Green Sand 3, Oystercatcher 2, A water rail showed well in the oaktree reed bed and later sang. Confirmed breeding today included sedge warbler in reeds to right of 1st Flash hide, between the bridge and 1st flash were young chiffchaffs, reed warbler and blackcaps. A whitethroat sang along the Hen brook. Linnets were singing from the salt marsh whilst feeding there. several house martins fed around the flashes. More fresh mallard broods appeared around the lagoons.

Last edited:
My highlights today.
On the Salwarpe heading back to the A38 from the Moors...2 female Blackcaps carrying food. G S Pecker feeding fledgling ( this is the 3rd Adult GS Pecker I have seen on the reserve that has successfully fledged young in the last 3 weeks), a lovely Treecreeper showing very well also.
In this patch too a female banded Damoiselle was mating, and an interesting Hover Fly ( see my flicker photos)

The orchids are great ( but my phottos were pap so back tomorrow). I was unable to connect with the Hobby John and Gavo were stringing me 8-P
Then rushing back to the car in the rain John pulled us aside to show us 3 fledgeling Reeed Warblers being fed..pure gold..I don't care if I don't see a Hobby this year having seen that :t:

My highlights today.
On the Salwarpe heading back to the A38 from the Moors...2 female Blackcaps carrying food. G S Pecker feeding fledgling ( this is the 3rd Adult GS Pecker I have seen on the reserve that has successfully fledged young in the last 3 weeks), a lovely Treecreeper showing very well also.
In this patch too a female banded Damoiselle was mating, and an interesting Hover Fly ( see my flicker photos)

The orchids are great ( but my phottos were pap so back tomorrow). I was unable to connect with the Hobby John and Gavo were stringing me 8-P
Then rushing back to the car in the rain John pulled us aside to show us 3 fledgeling Reeed Warblers being fed..pure gold..I don't care if I don't see a Hobby this year having seen that :t:

That inflata looks good to me Mark. Identical to the one here;
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volucella_inflata
I'm sure I saw one myself this morning. It was hovering a foot or so from me perfectly stationary :t:
By the way, here's one I took a photo of this morning. I've got no idea at the mo;
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/wildgert/5820913157/

Last edited:
I think we're just going to have to accept that there are those who a) don't see why they should go to the trouble of putting news out b) aren't aware that others might like to see the scarcer species they find or c) have no idea how to go about putting news out. If b) perhaps also there is no concept of what constitutes rare or scarce, either nationally or on a local basis?

Perhaps we could put contact numbers in the hides rather than just in the book? Although that won't guaratee they'll be seen/looked for :smoke:

I've been made to feel very welcome at UW despite being a foreigner from (just) over the border in Warks BUT...

I wasn't aware of the numbers in the log book so a notice might help. However, also note that it may feel to some visitors as though such records are the reserve of the local experts/wardens/Team Upton. I certainly wouldn't feel it appropriate to start calling people I've never met to say I think I might have seen something unusual - it took long enough to post on here ;). Finally there remains the concern of getting it wrong and looking stupid or a "stringer".

An encouraging notice on the hide door might help but IMO should reflect those concerns. But are you sure you want to go that route? I'm still wet behind the ears and I've already been in hides where common birds were causing consternation and misidentification despite an array of scopes. In this particular case, of course, the logger knew what they had seen but that wouldn't always be the case.

Perhaps recruiting a broader team of "amateur trustees" might help?

If you just need another pair of eyes on a different day I'd be happy to take a "formal" stint once I've upgraded my binoculars when the birders store is next in town.

Paul

PS: This morning I had my first Marsh Harrier at Potteric Carr so I'll know that one when it drops in at UW next :)

A few pics from the last few days
1 shows the delta area at 0.34 water level.
2. some of the Avocet juvs on their maiden flight
3. Avocet juvs and adults in front of 1st Flash hide

Also today saw a Tree Bumblebee a recent coloniser from Europe . saw it 10 yards along east track after the gate on thistles.
coloured from the head through to tail chestnut/black/white
B :) John

Attachments

• 1 delta 0.34.jpg
    1 delta 0.34.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 82
  • avo chks flight.jpg
    avo chks flight.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 89
  • avo in front of 1st flash hide.jpg
    avo in front of 1st flash hide.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 79
Hi Paul
I wouldn't worry. We're all amatuers and we've all got it wrong at some point. I've done it many times! Never trust anyone who claims to be an expert. Best to have a go and sod anyone who is critical. If they are they won't be the regular Upton crew.
Cheers

Just had a text from Andy P. - Spoonbill Finder - from Skye saying he was listening to Corncrake. Mind you he was also describing the real ales he's had so I reckon they've had an effect !

A few pics from the last few days
1 shows the delta area at 0.34 water level.
2. some of the Avocet juvs on their maiden flight
3. Avocet juvs and adults in front of 1st Flash hide

Also today saw a Tree Bumblebee a recent coloniser from Europe . saw it 10 yards along east track after the gate on thistles.
coloured from the head through to tail chestnut/black/white
B :) John

Hi John

Is this a Tree Bumblebee do you reckon?

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/wildgert/5785458201/

I've been made to feel very welcome at UW despite being a foreigner from (just) over the border in Warks BUT...
Perhaps recruiting a broader team of "amateur trustees" might help?

If you just need another pair of eyes on a different day I'd be happy to take a "formal" stint once I've upgraded my binoculars when the birders store is next in town.
Paul
Paul to put you at ease, we all make mistakes and what that does is make you learn quicker. We all need to keep looking at birds and looking again, keep watching the commoner birds you will be surprised how different light and contortion of their bodies can completely change their appearance. Also watch birds behaviour, feeding flying etc, self discovery is more satisfying than being told everything, although a little assistance does help at times, to put you on the right track. We make mistakes all the time but that is simply because we want to ID a bird as quick as possible and put a name to it.
Try not to let a bird get away without identifying it even if it means waiting some time for it to move through a bush. You will probably hear all sorts of calls which once you suss them helps with the ID. At this time of year lots of juveniles will appear, which can be a pitfall for us all.
All I can say is get a good field guide (collins) and keep testing yourself over and over again. I hope this is not patronising but many birders have passed down their experiences to me and so the cycle continues. The biggest thing I would recommend is to carry a note book at all times and learn to sketch. Make notes every time you go birding and really look closely at wing formula work out where the coverts, tertials and scapulars are on all types of birds that certainly will help when ID'ing gulls and waders. Anyway if you do get a bird you are not sure about I will always welcome a call from you and anyone else, no one gets ridiculed at Upton and everyone is welcomed ask any of the recent newbies. If you have an affinity for Upton you' re OK by me.
If birding ID becomes a chore, back off a bit, but always enjoy watching birds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back