• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (59 Viewers)

Started off at the Flashes where I managed to get a bit of birding in, before spending 3 hours fixing the screening fence. Luckily Mark S (Hagar) and Glenn (GH1) were on site to give me a hand. :t:

Birding notes to follow

Attachments

• fence down(2).jpg
    fence down(2).jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 77
Birding at the Mecca today

The strong easterly winds strengthened throughout the morning, but too strong for any migration, it was cool and cloudy.
FlashesAM
Shelduck male, gadwall pr, Avocet 10, LRP 4, lapwing 2 (both sitting ) but no males! linnet 5, lots of reed warblers in the Hen pool.
The afternoon got warmer (17 degrees C) and the wind had dropped shifting to a SE direction with blue skies.

MOORS
GCG 4, little grebe 2 (Broadmeadow pool), Shoveler male (BR Pool), Teal 2 fems (Br Pool), Tufted 40, Water rail 2 or 3 calling from around the North Moors reed bed. Common Sand, lapwing 1, Oystercatcher 4, Kestrel, Buzzard 2, Swift c20, House martin c100, swallow c100, sand martin 20+,

Sailing Pool
4 common terns were new in

FLASHES PM
Back to the Flashes first checking out the Archery field for the SEO, where a Lesser whitethroat sang. 2 whimbrel flew over towards the sailing pool and out of site, luckily they doubled back and landed on the Flashes - strangely though they didn't call at all. At the Flashes the Avocets had dropped to 6

Other sighting Mark S (Hagar) had a yellow wag at the Moors
and Rob E had the SE Owl at 3.55pm over the first flash reed bed.
B :)John

Phil, this is not an Upton feature, but I thought you should know that your detective work last September in exposing a fraudulant sighting ie the Short-toed Eagle in Lincolnshire , has been referred to in the latest British Birds issue. There is an extensive paper on fraud in ornithology covering the period from the 18C to the present day. You are not mentioned by name, but the use of the internet and photography in relation to the Eagle ie the fact that it was noted that the image was taken in Spain and the person claiming the bird tried to correct his/her mistake etc are mentioned.

I will try and get the relevant information to you, or as a detective you might be interested in the whole article.

Des.

The strong easterly winds strengthened throughout the morning, but too strong for any migration, it was cool and cloudy.
FlashesAM
Shelduck male, gadwall pr, Avocet 10, LRP 4, lapwing 2 (both sitting ) but no males! linnet 5, lots of reed warblers in the Hen pool.
The afternoon got warmer (17 degrees C) and the wind had dropped shifting to a SE direction with blue skies.

MOORS
GCG 4, little grebe 2 (Broadmeadow pool), Shoveler male (BR Pool), Teal 2 fems (Br Pool), Tufted 40, Water rail 2 or 3 calling from around the North Moors reed bed. Common Sand, lapwing 1, Oystercatcher 4, Kestrel, Buzzard 2, Swift c20, House martin c100, swallow c100, sand martin 20+,

Sailing Pool
4 common terns were new in

FLASHES PM
Back to the Flashes first checking out the Archery field for the SEO, where a Lesser whitethroat sang. 2 whimbrel flew over towards the sailing pool and out of site, luckily they doubled back and landed on the Flashes - strangely though they didn't call at all. At the Flashes the Avocets had dropped to 6

Other sighting Mark S (Hagar) had a yellow wag at the Moors
and Rob E had the SE Owl at 3.55pm over the first flash reed bed.
B :)John

To add: Moors-LRP x 1, Shelduck x 1, Male Gadwall x !, C. Tern x 1.

Flashes: The Whimbrel disappeared when a Peregrine took a white dove in front of the hide & had not returned when I left around 5:15pm.
I counted 9 Avocet.

Rob

Water levels at Flashes 0.49 today

The water at the Flashes has only started rising in the last week, even after the two previous weeks rain, when the water actually dropped:eek!:. I am not exactly sure why? but I think that the water table has now reached some equilibrium with the saline lagoons. The torrential rain over the weekend has caused a rapid increase in the level threatening breeding birds. We therefore took the decision to open the sluice, not a decision we took lightly, after last years drought.

Any rain should now cause an increase in water level which was above 0.5 on Saturday up from the previous week by 5cm. I have kept the pipe open so a maximum of 3cm can flow out, which will bring the level to .46 by the weekend.

Phil, this is not an Upton feature, but I thought you should know that your detective work last September in exposing a fraudulant sighting ie the Short-toed Eagle in Lincolnshire , has been referred to in the latest British Birds issue. There is an extensive paper on fraud in ornithology covering the period from the 18C to the present day. You are not mentioned by name, but the use of the internet and photography in relation to the Eagle ie the fact that it was noted that the image was taken in Spain and the person claiming the bird tried to correct his/her mistake etc are mentioned.

I will try and get the relevant information to you, or as a detective you might be interested in the whole article.

Des.

Cheers Des - any chance that you could bring BB with you on Saturday? It was rather a surreal experience as young Joe came on to BF to defend what was clearly a fraud to all.

I have asked the mods (twice) if I can revert back to "Upton-til-i-die" but I have been ignored both times :-C

Cheers Des - any chance that you could bring BB with you on Saturday? It was rather a surreal experience as young Joe came on to BF to defend what was clearly a fraud to all.

I have asked the mods (twice) if I can revert back to "Upton-til-i-die" but I have been ignored both times :-C

For the first time in a long time I will miss the all-dayer, I will be going to Croatia.............. I know, off on holiday again!

Des.

April ended with the reserve's year list on 120 species, still below where we have been in previous years. During the 30 days of the month 106 species were recorded in April , hopefully this can be exceeded in May.

New birds that may well be encountered in May include Garganey, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Greenshank, Sanderling, Dunlin, Wood Sandpiper, Sandwich Tern, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Whinchat, Redstart, Grasshopper Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and House Sparrow.

Since the annual reports began in 1984 the first Cuckoo has never been recorded later than the 27th April!!

Attachments

• Year tracker.png
    Year tracker.png
    18 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
April ended with the reserve's year list on 120 species, still significantly below where we have been in previous years. During the 30 days of the month 106 species were recorded in April , hopefully this can be exceeded in May.

New birds that may well be encountered in May include Garganey, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Greenshank, Sanderling, Dunlin, Wood Sandpiper, Sandwich Tern, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Whinchat, Redstart, Grasshopper Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and House Sparrow.

Since the annual reports began in 1984 the first Cuckoo has never been recorded later than the 27th April.

I think that 106 might be a record for April, with so many missing we could have broken the best ever monthly total.

Obituary - Arthur Jacobs

For many visitors to Upton Warren since the 1960s, the name and face of Arthur Jacobs have been inexorably tied to the reserve and it was with great sadness that we learnt of his passing on Saturday at the age of 83.

Arthur Francis Jacobs obtained a Chemistry degree from Birmingham University in the early 1950s. In his student days in the late 1940s and early 1950s he used to cycle from his family home in Birmingham to birdwatch at Belvide, Chasewater and on Cannock Chase. It was at this time he met Tony Blake and the initials “AFJ, ARMB” became a familiar sight in West Midland Bird Club Annual Reports attached to some of the most exciting bird records of the 1950s and early 1960s. Later on in the 1950s, when he had acquired his own transport, he was amongst the first birdwatchers to visit and recognise the potential of the then newly constructed Blithfield Reservoir. He also took the opportunity to visit birdwatching hotspots around the country, including twitching the newly arrived Collared Doves in North Norfolk in the late 1950s.

Arthur was for many the most familiar face of the West Midland Bird Club serving as Field Meetings Secretary throughout the 1960s and early 1970s. His smiling face and cheerful disposition will be remembered by many who participated in those events. It was here that he met Joyce, whom he married in 1975. Arthur was a member of the WMBC research committee for many years through the 1960s and 1970s and was also a member of the WMBC main committee in the 1970s and early 1980s.

In the mid to late 1960s the focus of Arthur's birdwatching interest switched to Worcestershire and in particular the recently rediscovered Upton Warren pools. He moved to Hadzor in the late Sixties to be closer to Upton Warren and after his marriage to Joyce in 1975 moved to the Beeches in Upton Warren village where he lived until his death. He was for several generations of birdwatchers “Mr Upton Warren” and although known as the reserve warden was the de facto reserve manager for several decades, assisting Christopher Cadbury to deliver his vision for the reserve when it was created in 1968. Over the years Arthur must have lead hundreds of guided walks around the reserve for visiting groups from the RSPB, Wildlife Trusts, Bird Clubs and other interested parties and his willingness to engage with novices and experienced birdwatchers alike, imparting his detailed knowledge of both the reserve and its fauna, was one of his notable features. He was awarded the Worcestershire Wildlife Medal for his services to the Trust in the early 2000s and was further honoured earlier this year by the Trust as part of its centennial awards.

Arthur had a birding pedigree second to none at Upton Warren. Whilst never revealed, it is thought that his reserve list was over 210 species. Many of these were self-finds, including 18 species new for the reserve (with Blue-winged Teal, Ferruginous Duck, Shorelark, Great White Egret, Bluethroat and Golden Oriole amongst them).

In recent years Arthur struggled with his health but bravely overcame a number of bouts of cancer that would have taken a lesser individual with little complaint and good humour. He remained devoted to Joyce as she was struck down with Alzhiemer’s Disease, regularly visiting her care home. As many of us feared, her passing earlier this year - combined with a car accident a few weeks beforehand - lead to a sudden decline in Arthur’s health, such was their close bond.

Details of his funeral will be posted on this thread as soon as they are known and discussions have been opened with the Trust for a fitting and lasting memorial to Arthur at Upton Warren where he spent so much of his time and energies.

Many thanks to John Ridley in assisting me to putting the above together.

Last edited:
April ended with the reserve's year list on 120 species, still below where we have been in previous years. During the 30 days of the month 106 species were recorded in April , hopefully this can be exceeded in May.

Since the annual reports began in 1984 the first Cuckoo has never been recorded later than the 27th April!!

Phil,

Had a gropper reeling this evening whilst finally connecting with the SEO. It was in the same bit of grassland as the SEO so I didn't see it but unmistakable even to this novice.

Paul

Phil,

Had a gropper reeling this evening whilst finally connecting with the SEO. It was in the same bit of grassland as the SEO so I didn't see it but unmistakable even to this novice.

Paul

Arghh - you have ruined all my stats! Nice one Paul; shows what may go missing in this under-watched corner of the reserve.

Phil,

Paul

That's a classic area for Gropper at Upton, Paul - I've seen / heard many in that corner over the years. It's about time one turned up at UW as they are now returning to other sites in the county (I had good views at my local patch this evening).

I think the Cuckoos are either very late arriving or they're keeping their heads down because of the weather. :t:

For many visitors to Upton Warren since the 1960s, the name and face of Arthur Jacobs have been inexorably tied to the reserve and it was with great sadness that we learnt of his passing on Saturday at the age of 82.

Arthur Francis Jacobs ...

Excellent work, Phil and John. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back