• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (99 Viewers)

Short Eared Owl Upton Warren

Hi all
Here are some photos of the owl this afternoon taken at the small moors pool, Upton Warren.

Thanks
aaron y

Attachments

• ShortEarOwl2_edited-1.jpg
    ShortEarOwl2_edited-1.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 108
  • ShortEarOwl3_edited-1.jpg
    ShortEarOwl3_edited-1.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 122
mecca Today

Started at the Flashes from 9 till 10am. Extremely wet strong NE and continuous rain that finally stopped about 2pm. The water table at the Flashes was 0.49. at 9am but by 4pm it had risen to 0.52. Consequently I opened the sluice even more. If anyone goes tomorrow could you read off the level and let me know or post it on here so we can take appropriate action.

Flashes
Avocet 10, LRP 3, Lapwing 2, Gadwall pr, Shelduck male, Common gull.
There was a noticeable increase in sedge warblers with at least 5 singing, The hen pool also had more reed warblers. A lesser whitethroat sang by the first hide.

MOORS level at Amy's 0.76
GCG 6, little grebe, Teal 2 fems, water rail 2 calling from NM, common sand, Oystercatcher 4, snipe 1, ARCTIC TERN 3 (when I first got to the east hide there were 2 present, a 3rd bird appeared at 11am, the other 2 joined it and they all gained height and flew north). Common tern 3,
The most notable event was the 100's of hirundine's feeding low over the pool. At times many perched in trees fencing and the sand martin bank. There seemed to be an increase in house martins by late afternoon. I attempted to count the birds in flight and reached 600 plus another 100 or so perched randomly around the pool. There must have been 400 Swallow, 300 house martin and c10 sand martin. There was a small number of swifts amongst them , until a 'squadron' of swifts came over the education wood. At least 50 birds then fed mostly over the hedge and adjacent field.
Reed warblers and more sedge sang on the western periphery.
Moving to the west hide PRC picked up a male yellow wag on the east island. After helping move the fallen tree from the salwarp path, we were walking back to the west hide when the Short Eared Owl flew over our heads and headed towards the NM.
Gathering in the NM hide we picked up a whitethroat possibly 2 plus plenty of reed warblers and more than normal numbers of reed buntings. Then just as me and Oriole Boy were about to tuck into a cuppa, the SE Owl flew along the NM pool over the causeway then doubled back along the 'set a side and over the A38. Giving excellent views for a crofty upton lifer.

At 3pm :Back to The Flashes
where the SE owl flew south along the back of the sailing pool then over the orchard and gone.
On the lagoons there were now 6 LRP, 3 lapwing 1 male serving both sitting females, but otherwise as before.
On the sailing pool another 150 - 200 swallows hunted.
The Hirundine totals : swallows 600, house martin 350.
Other species : Goldcrest singing Moors, treecreeper singing along the Salwarp.
B :)John

Last edited:
Hi all
Here are some photos of the owl this afternoon taken at the small moors pool, Upton Warren.

Thanks
aaron y

I was just about to add to my piece below, 'that AAron took a photo and might be putting on here'. Well you beat me to it, nice one.
Thanks mate, great atmospheric shot did, you notice the swallow in front of it. My future son-in-On law said is that another one in front of it (the owl) needless to say he is not a birder.8-P
Just seen the 2nd shot wow even better.

Last edited:
Started at the Flashes from 9 till 10am. Extremely wet strong NE and continuous rain that finally stopped about 2pm. The water table at the Flashes was 0.49. at 9am but by 4pm it had risen to 0.52. Consequently I open the sluice even more. If anyone goes tomorrow could you read off the level and let me know or post it on here so we can take appropriate action.

Flashes
Avocet 10, LRP 3, Lapwing 2, Gadwall pr, Shelduck male, Common gull.
There was a noticeable increase in sedge warblers with at least 5 singing, The hen pool also had more reed warblers. A lesser whitethroat sang by the first hide.

MOORS level at Amy's 0.76
GCG 6, little grebe, Teal 2 fems, water rail 2 calling from NM, common sand, Oystercatcher 4, snipe 1, ARCTIC TERN 3 (when I first got to the east hide there were 2 present, a 3rd bird appeared at 11am, the other 2 joined it and they all gained height and flew north). Common tern 3,
The most notable event was the 100's of hirundine's feeding low over the pool. At times many perched in trees fencing and the sand martin bank. There seemed to be an increase in house martins by late afternoon. I attempted to count the birds in flight and reached 600 plus another 100 or so perched randomly around the pool. There must have been 400 Swallow, 300 house martin and c10 sand martin. There was a small number of swifts amongst them , until a 'squadron' of swifts came over the education wood. At least 50 birds then fed mostly over the hedge and adjacent field.
Reed warblers and more sedge sang on the western periphery.
Moving to the west hide PRC picked up a male yellow wag on the east island. After helping move the fallen tree from the salwarp path, we were walking back to the west hide when the Short Eared Owl flew over our heads and headed towards the NM.
Gathering in the NM hide we picked up a whitethroat possibly 2 plus plenty of reed warblers and more than normal numbers of reed buntings. Then just as me and Oriole Boy were about to tuck into a cuppa, the SE Owl flew along the NM pool over the causeway then doubled back along the 'set a side and over the A38. Giving excellent views for a crofty upton lifer.

At 3pm :Back to The Flashes
where the SE owl flew south along the back of the sailing pool then over the orchard and gone.
On the lagoons there were now 6 LRP, 3 lapwing 1 male serving both sitting females, but otherwise as before.
On the sailing pool another 150 - 200 swallows hunted.
The Hirundine totals : swallows 600, house martin 350.
Other species : Goldcrest singing Moors, treecreeper singing along the Salwarp.

I'll let you know early tomorrow John.

Des.

I was just about to add to my piece below, 'that AAron took a photo and might be putting on here'. Well you beat me to it, nice one.
Thanks mate, great atmospheric shot did, you notice the swallow in front of it. My future son-in-On law said is that another one in front of it (the owl) needless to say he is not a birder.8-P
Just seen the 2nd shot wow even better.

Thanks John! It was a great moment for me to see the bird for the first time.
See you saturday morning!

Good list of sightings John - what was your total for the day?

69 without peregrine, skylark, chaffinch, curlew, green woodpecker, mistle thrush, willow warbler, raven, rook.
Phil are you announcing the 'all- dayer' and
what about....species sheets (Mike ?)...the hide lists on boards/card...marker pens (me). How do you want it sorted;)

69 without peregrine, skylark, chaffinch, curlew, green woodpecker, mistle thrush, willow warbler, raven, rook.
Phil are you announcing the 'all- dayer' and
what about....species sheets (Mike ?)...the hide lists on boards/card...marker pens (me). How do you want it sorted;)

Actually I was holding off in case Arthur's funeral was on Saturday; I take it there is no news yet?

Hirundines

John has reported some very impressive hirundine numbers for the reserve today. However even these figures come nowhere near Upton Warren's peak counts:

Swallow
The largest flocks usually occur after breeding; a peak count for the reserve in the recent period was 2,000 or more birds over the reserve on the 4th September 1989 with several other counts of 1,000 plus birds in the last 30 years.
Formerly hundreds (and occasionally thousands) of Swallows chose to roost in the reserve’s reed-beds, particularly the Moors Pool, North Moors and the third Flash, in the late summer and autumn before setting off south, with an amazing peak count estimated at 4,000 birds on the 11th September 1971.

House Martin
A peak count of 550 House Martins was seen at the Moors Pool on the 26th May 1994 whilst there are several records of flocks at least 400 strong in August and September.

Sand Martin
A recent(ish) peak count for the reserve was an impressive 300 birds amongst a larger hirundine flock brought down by wet and misty conditions on the 11th May 1998, whilst 250 birds were present on the 17th April 2004. However these figures are dwarfed by the 1,000 Sand Martins present at Upton Warren on the late date of the 26th September 1971.

And not to be forgotten ....

Red-rumped Swallow
One on the 1st and 2nd May 1992 at the Moors Pool (also seen at the Sailing Pool)

Last edited:
Short-eared Owl was back in the triangle to the east of the archery field at 19.40 allowing me great, although slightly distant views as it was perched on one of the fence-posts. After about ten minutes I headed off towards the flashes hides, noting 150+ Swallows over the Sailing pool on the way. There were at least three Reed warblers singing in the Hen Pool reed-bed, but Sedge Warblers were fairly quiet as the evening was quite cool. Approaching the tower hide Tim and Mary told me a Whimbrel had dropped in a few minutes previously. A bonus for my slowly increasing Upton year-list, which has still to reach 100! Apart from Avocet, of which I counted only nine, Lapwing (3) and LRP (4 or 5) there was not much else present bar the BHGs. A Shelduck put in abrief appearance just before I left.
The water level appeared to be just above 5, so perhaps a little more to drop off tomorrow.

Could do with wind veering a little further than the forecast ENE for Saturday. Will post some checklists tomorrow, plus a few other stats for those who are interested in such things.

Spring All-Day Birdwatch - Saturday 5th May

With just a few days to go, it is worth reminding everyone that the annual Spring All-Day Birdwatch is taking place this coming Saturday (5th May).

Technically the object of the day is to try to record as many species as possible within the 24 hours (leading to some ridiculous start times in an attempt to bag Tawny Owl etc). Not only does this provide a snap-shot of what can occur on the reserve on an average spring day but it also allows us to review trends year on year and compare the reserve with the occurences at Belvide and Middleton Lakes with whom we have had a "friendly" rivalry for the last few years. A running score is kept throughout the day at both the West Hide at the Moors and the main hide at the Flashes as we aim to beat our previous record (or at least not record our lowest ever total). There is also the holy grail of the highest ever individual total, held by Paul Croft (Oriole Boy) at 81 species.

Mike has a host of information about what has been recorded over the years which he will posting the next day or two, including a handy tick sheet.

However, the day is far more than just ticking off birds. Fortified by light refreshments, biscuits, cakes and a few bacon / sausage sarnies, it is an opportunity for all have enjoyed birding / photographing on the reserve over the year and contributed to its success to come together in a celebration of Upton Warren. This is particularly true now with the Forum so active; its the chance to meet people we may have corresponded with but never met (or probably more accurately, never knowingly met). It is an often overused phrase but there is a great craic on the day and its a date I look forward to weeks in advance.

Finally, it is hoped that the 2011 Annual Report will be ready for purchase on the day - 52 pages documenting one of the most memorable years in the reserve's history with 18 colour photos thrown, priced at £2.50 (all of which goes straight into the reserve's funds).

Hope to see as many of you as possible on Saturday; I've already got my cake prepared ;)

With just a few days to go, it is worth reminding everyone that the annual Spring All-Day Birdwatch is taking place this coming Saturday (5th May).

Technically the object of the day is to try to record as many species as possible within the 24 hours (leading to some ridiculous start times in an attempt to bag Tawny Owl etc). Not only does this provide a snap-shot of what can occur on the reserve on an average spring day but it also allows us to review trends year on year and compare the reserve with the occurences at Belvide and Middleton Lakes with whom we have had a "friendly" rivalry for the last few years. A running score is kept throughout the day at both the West Hide at the Moors and the main hide at the Flashes as we aim to beat our previous record (or at least not record our lowest ever total). There is also the holy grail of the highest ever individual total, held by Paul Croft (Oriole Boy) at 81 species.

Mike has a host of information about what has been recorded over the years which he will posting the next day or two, including a handy tick sheet.

However, the day is far more than just ticking off birds. Fortified by light refreshments, biscuits, cakes and a few bacon / sausage sarnies, it is an opportunity for all have enjoyed birding / photographing on the reserve over the year and contributed to its success to come together in a celebration of Upton Warren. This is particularly true now with the Forum so active; its the chance to meet people we may have corresponded with but never met (or probably more accurately, never knowingly met). It is an often overused phrase but there is a great craic on the day and its a date I look forward to weeks in advance.

Finally, it is hoped that the 2011 Annual Report will be ready for purchase on the day - 52 pages documenting one of the most memorable years in the reserve's history with 18 colour photos thrown, priced at £2.50 (all of which goes straight into the reserve's funds).

Hope to see as many of you as possible on Saturday; I've already got my cake prepared ;)

Who do i have to ask to have a copy of the Report 'kept aside' for me?

Wont be able to make the all dayer as im in London, so no doubt you'll get something good ;)
Good luck everyone!
MB

Who do i have to ask to have a copy of the Report 'kept aside' for me?

Wont be able to make the all dayer as im in London, so no doubt you'll get something good ;)
Good luck everyone!
MB

That will cost you an extra 50p "put aside" charge! ;) Mike is responsible for distribution but I cant see it being an issue.

Can't wait for the alldayer, having been in hospital recently undergoing delicate procedures ;) I have done absolutely no birding for two weeks. So gutted to have missed the SEO, I am pretty sure I'll be able to make saturday and will bring the camper van just in case I feel like a snooze. Can i also have a copy of the report please. I enjoyed looking through all of JTB's back issues last year.

Hopefully see you guys saturday and let's hope for a big un :t:

p.s. may pop in tonight if the SEO is still about, keep me informed :t:

North Moors hide
Unfortunately I have just heard from Paul M that the hide has been burnt down.
Although the hide itself was not the best of designs it was always good for drinking tea and glimpsing some of our more secretive species.
Bad news, but we can't let it beat us. Probably not the best strategically placed hide on the reserve and maybe future habitat creation in this area could incorporate a screen or a hide further along the NM trail. The proximity of the car park made it an easy target for what ever reason it was destroyed. On a positive note AArons shots of the SE owl were the last ones taken from it, so it went with a quality bird.
Joking apart I hope Arthur is looking down on the perpetrators and they have a little accident of their own.:smoke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back