• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (123 Viewers)

Finally, it is hoped that the 2011 Annual Report will be ready for purchase on the day - 52 pages documenting one of the most memorable years in the reserve's history with 18 colour photos thrown, priced at £2.50 (all of which goes straight into the reserve's funds).

How many have you printed Mike...in the early days we printed 200...could there be that demand?

I've already got my cake prepared ;)
PHIL I trust you meant OUR cake:eat:8-P

North Moors hide
Unfortunately I have just heard from Paul M that the hide has been burnt down...

Scumbag b4st4rds!
Let's hope the Trust's insurance covers this and that this unfortunate development has no impact on the planned new West Moors hide construction. :C

Just had a message from a mate visiting from Gloucester way about the hide, said it was still smouldering when he arrived :C.

lets hope this is not the start of general hood rat anti social behaviour in the area T0553rs

North Moors hide
Unfortunately I have just heard from Paul M that the hide has been burnt down.
Although the hide itself was not the best of designs it was always good for drinking tea and glimpsing some of our more secretive species.
Bad news, but we can't let it beat us. Probably not the best strategically placed hide on the reserve and maybe future habitat creation in this area could incorporate a screen or a hide further along the NM trail. The proximity of the car park made it an easy target for what ever reason it was destroyed. On a positive note AArons shots of the SE owl were the last ones taken from it, so it went with a quality bird.
Joking apart I hope Arthur is looking down on the perpetrators and they have a little accident of their own.:smoke:

It make you wonder what, if anything, was going through their tiny minds.:C

Shocking news - I was in there at 6.30 last night looking for the SEO - but it weren't me! Maybe we need to consider a rota in the short term for checking the hides on the Moors of a night?
A few pics from yesterday;

Attachments

• 6986752132_1d19460dde_n.jpg
    6986752132_1d19460dde_n.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 7132891501_aec3625038_n.jpg
    7132891501_aec3625038_n.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 7132977459_0d056f69ae_n.jpg
    7132977459_0d056f69ae_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 71
Shocking news - I was in there at 6.30 last night looking for the SEO - but it weren't me! Maybe we need to consider a rota in the short term for checking the hides on the Moors of a night?

B****y hell Gert, I thought that the first thumbnail was a petrel until I put my galsses on.
You are fast becoming an 'in flight expert' TOG.:t:John

Arctic terns ID featurefor those not sure

Now is a good time to see Arctic Terns on the reserve, so to assist anyone not too sure Gert's photo shows a common tern feature that needs eliminating before thinking of claiming Arctic. Not meant to be patronising :t:

I know most of us know this..but I still hear birders saying 'I can't see the all red bill'.

The dark wedge on the inner primaries, upper wing of common terns is a feature that can be seen from a good distance, when the birds are 'banking' . This feature becomes even more pronounced as the summer progresses. However at this time of year some commons have a very faint version of it. The obvious slow relaxed flight of the Arctic's accompanied by long tail streamers is a good feature. But short tailed Arctic's do occur.
B :)john

Last edited:
Now is a good time to see Arctic Terns on the reserve, so to assist anyone not too sure Gert's photo shows a common tern feature that needs eliminating before thinking of claiming Arctic. Not meant to be patronising :t:

I know most of us know this..but I still hear birders saying 'I can't see the all red bill'.

The dark wedge on the inner primaries of common terns is a feature that can be seen from a good distance, when the birds are 'banking' . This feature becomes even more pronounced as the summer progresses. However at this time of year some commons have a very faint version of it. The obvious slow relaxed flight of the Arctic's accompanied by long tail streamers is a good feature. But short tailed Arctic's do occur.
B :)john

Good point John. There were 3 Terns last night - one was defo a Common with the dark wedge you mention and a black tip to the bill and it looked a bit bigger than the other 2. Here's another picture of the same bird I posted above - note lack of dark wedge and the bill was all red - the photo might suggest a black tip but that's something else that's got in the picture. The above pic and this one have only been minimally enhanced - ie, sharpened and a bit of contrast and noise reduction as I was shooting with a ridiculously high ISO! :t: Hope this helps

link to the full size photo here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/7132989275/in/photostream

Attachments

• 7132989275_4886e4bbb0_n.jpg
    7132989275_4886e4bbb0_n.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 66
This Common Tern picture that was taken by Glenn H on Monday and is on the Upton Flickr site next to gerts Arctic pics.

Attachments

• arctic.jpg
    arctic.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I will have the reports on Saturday, plus a few back copies of recent years for those (Gavo?) who may want them.

Will put one aside for Craig.

Forgot to mention last night that the hide roof on the flashes tower hide appears to have been re-fixed - several long nails through from above into the cross-beams. Just need to sort out the unsafe windows and the gaps in the walls and it might be half-decent.

I guess we have no way of knowing who set fire to the hide, unless the police have any ideas? Perhaps those who broke into the shed a while back?

Mike

Dunlin

Hello all,
Arrived at Moors 7.15 am this morning , hide was smouldering then .
Spotted 2 Dunlin 9.00 am , confirmed and recorded by Stuart Andrews , went on to flashes 11.00 am and 2 further/same were showing.

Hello all,
Arrived at Moors 7.15 am this morning , hide was smouldering then .
Spotted 2 Dunlin 9.00 am , confirmed and recorded by Stuart Andrews , went on to flashes 11.00 am and 2 further/same were showing.

UW82 (Des) had three at the Flashes early morning so five across the reserve.

Could I just appeal to you all, if you see a dodgy car in the car park with dodgy characters in side. Take the reg number and description of car and send it to me, I will collate a list of cars in case of future problems. I will also take reg numbers when wardening of non-members, at least we will then have something to pass on to the old bill. I will ensure this info below gets passed on.

Just received the following description from last night, from a regular birder.

Quote:below
I was at the pool last night until about 7:15, and upon leaving there was a 'chavved up' (spoilers, stickers, massive tyres etc) Ford Focus, pale metallic blue, in the car park. A girl was in it speaking to someone on the phone.

Now it may be nothing, and I don't want to stereotype people, but it stuck in my mind as it was the only time I've seen a car in that car park that was clearly out of place, it could be nothing, but it's one hell of a coincidence.

Any sign of the SEO today?

I despair at the mentality of the cretins who've torched the hide. Spent many an hour in there, usually over winter, freezing half to death in the hope of a glimpse of a bittern.

All-dayer update

Just heard from the South West, reinforcements should arrive Friday evenings. In the form of Stuart Croft -sorry to big you up Stu - no pressure then to find a goodie 8-P
Stu will be staking out the Tawny owl on the east side:t:

See you Saturday mate B :)John

I will have the reports on Saturday, plus a few back copies of recent years for those (Gavo?) who may want them.

Will put one aside for Craig.

Forgot to mention last night that the hide roof on the flashes tower hide appears to have been re-fixed - several long nails through from above into the cross-beams. Just need to sort out the unsafe windows and the gaps in the walls and it might be half-decent.

I guess we have no way of knowing who set fire to the hide, unless the police have any ideas? Perhaps those who broke into the shed a while back?

Mike

Yes please Mike I will have some back copies too please. Will hopefully be able to make it saturday, still feeling under the weather, I actually had to miss an exam at uni today and am now having to go through all the mitigating circumstances malarky :-C

Oh! and I hope those scumbag arsonists rot in hell :C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back