• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US government hates whales (4 Viewers)

Katy Penland said:
I'm sorry, Isurus, and don't take this personally, but I for one am getting heartily tired of the word "terrorism" every time somebody on this planet does more than pick up a pencil and waggle it at someone else. .

Hear hear! The same tag is now being applied to local people who are trying to stop the extirpation of our badgers by a UK government department (and trying to justify it with unsound "science") which is hell-bent on preserving a farming system in chaos.

Dear Katy,
I was replying to your response and was booted off...? I spent a good two hours of my time replying and somehow I wound up losing my entire response, so I have to re-do it. I would like to say, though, it feels very much like I stepped on your toes. I don't know this forum, I'm new here. I am concerned about the killing of whales, I do not agree with several of your statements or 'facts.' I like very much that you love the whales. But I posted a 100% accurate post, and anyone who knows the complexities of this issue would know that, and your reply to a great deal of what I said was to 'correct' me, as if I am mouthing off and not knowing of what I speak. This is offensive, and anyone not familiar with this issue would never detect that unless they knew how complex it was or they really read with unbias. I am happy to rewrite my reply but I would appreciate if you took into account that your use of a title that "the US government hates whales" is entirely ridiculous and was not picked apart by me because I took it to mean that you do not hate whales and you are upset that they are being killed. But it's not true. Should I pick apart your title like you picked apart my post, even though my post was accurate and NOT tongue-in-cheek? ...The whole US government? Who in the US government? They hate all whales? Which whales? Which US government? No, not that US government, the one in office before that government. No, not that whale, the other whale. This is what you did to my post. I will back every statement I wrote.

flybefree said:
Dear Katy,
I was replying to your response and was booted off...?
For long posts on any forum, we advise writing them out in an e-mail (or word) draft and then copy & pasting into a reply, it can save a lot of frustration if you get timed out.

btw: I really don't think Katy was 'having a go' at you. We are a discussion forum, and it's all part of grown-up debate.
regards,
Andy

Hey, fbf.

Two suggestions:

1. Try to stop being so confrontational. You did it with Birdman (one of BF's longest standing and most thoughtful members), and now you're doing it with Katy (BF's foremost authority on whales).

2. You say that you are a "writer", so I hope you don't mind the suggestion that you strive for shorter, more coherent paragraphs. Otherwise the reader's eyes glaze over.

-Adam

Hi Everyone. Sorry, but I don't know how to set off one post with a red line.

ISURUS wrote:
I couldn't agree more with the last sentence. IMO Sea Shepherd are walking down a razor's edge of public opinion and could do real damage to the whale protection movement and conservation more generally in the eyes of the public. If they were to conduct one of their rams and unintentionally kill or badly hurt someone below decks in a freak accident (lets not forget there is already precedent involving environmental ships, sinkings and a tragedy), it would, i think, result in whalers having a lot more lattitude than they do now as a result of the present climate regarding terrorism. Wikipedia has a good summary on Sea Shepherd's history.

This is an excellent post, in my opinion. I'd like to respond to this because, I brought up Paul Watson in the first place and I have only spoken well of him. As I will probably continue to do unless he ticks me off but I doubt it, I only wish he were cloned.
Isurus, I think this is an excellent post because it says you are responsible. It says that you think before you act and that you are concerned about the livelihood of others, even if those others may not necessarily be doing what you think is okay to do. I say this because these are the exact same thoughts I have had and I asked those questions to Mr. Watson. I have interviewed him on this issue. And you're right. He is on a sort of razor's edge with some environmental organizations. There's no denying that. Some people at the top don't approve of his doings. I would not say that he is harming the whale population, that would be a real trick to state since, he actively works to destroy the vessels that illegally hunt. You say, what if he unintentionally hurts someone...Exactly. What if he did? That would be a serious problem. He hasn't, though, in all these years. I have never heard of him having the area cleared out like Katy says, I have only heard him say that he sinks the boats at their ports. I don't know what you mean in your last statement and I have not checked out wikipedia, but I like wikipedia, although, on controversial issues, they have a tendency (because they are written by people off the net, like you and me can write on wikipedia's site) to not be journalistic or complete. Anyway, I like your post. I think that way. I'd be there saying, 'Be careful. Are you sure? Make sure no one is in there,' etc. etc. And then, if I had the guts of this man, I would ram their ships!

Katy Penland said:
I'm sorry, Isurus, and don't take this personally, but I for one am getting heartily tired of the word "terrorism" every time somebody on this planet does more than pick up a pencil and waggle it at someone else. Watson isn't a terrorist for all his activities. The French bombers of the Rainbow Warrior certainly were. I don't understand what you mean about whalers gaining "a lot more latitude" as a result of Watson's actions. In the case of Japan, they already can do whatever they want vis-à-vis "scientific" quotas.

QUOTE]

That was kind of my point Katy - I'm getting as tired of it as you. Unfortunately its a word and fear that seem to be very effective in the political arena right now. My reference to lattitude wasn't in terms of from say the IWC but from the wider public who may withdraw support from anti-whaling and environmental organisations if they thought they "were run by terrorists" which would be a pretty easy PR card to play. I don't want to sound too negative about "007 Paul Watson" (as I shall now think of him after that article) as I really do like what he's doing (especially the excellent work done in the Galapagos) i just really hope he's carefull walking that tightrope.

Andy,
I just lost my last post. Yikes, what's happening? I'm clicking on post reply and it gets erased...? I'm new at this so I'm not sure how to go about sending a message but it worked last time. Anyway, I wouldn't expect someone not into this issue to get it.
Blackstart, that's a real warm welcome? No one calls anyone 'confrontational' unless they are being 'confrontational.' And unless they disagree with their point of view. If you don't like long posts because you only 'glaze over' them, then in "glazing over" my post, you missed the point. And how did you ever get through Katy's post... You are insulting her time, too, with that comment. You are a friend of someone at this forum who disagrees with my views on hunting and thinks hunting birds is okay, and now you want to bully me? Go play the sax.

flybefree said:
It says that you think before you act and that you are concerned about the livelihood of others, even if those others may not necessarily be doing what you think is okay to do.

If I am to understand correctly, the ships in question are not merely doing something we don't think is okay, they are breaking the law (by conducting hunts in a sanctuary). Regardless of the fact that it is whales they are killing (which in my book is reason enough to ram their boat), if someone has decided to make a livelyhood by flouting the law, that is their problem. It seems perfectly reasonable for me to try to enforce an internationally recognised law - if warning has been given and they have chosen to not cease their activities or leave the area, then enforcement action is required.

Jos,
ARe you on the net right now? You're in Lithuania? I'm trying to see if this will post and I am on pacific time -it's late, i'm about to sleep, but if you are up, i will hang for a few...

Ok, pardon me for not knowing how this works. I see on the bottom of the screen who is in the 'room.' I don't think we can 'chat' here? Yikes, a shark!
If I have you right, Jos, and I love the cat, YES!!!! That's perfect. That's what I'm saying. There needs to be enforcement. How do we do it? How do we save the whales from endangerment, from extinction -this is the best question. This is the only real question. But no one is enforcing people from hunting illegally -except for Watson, I don't know of anyone. And I don't know if my posts are getting on. The page I see looks awfully lonely...

flybefree said:
Andy,
Anyway, I wouldn't expect someone not into this issue to get it.
I beg your pardon? As admin, the issue is irrelevant to me.

flybefree said:
Blackstart If you don't like long posts because you only 'glaze over' them, then in "glazing over" my post, you missed the point. And how did you ever get through Katy's post... You are insulting her time, too, with that comment.
Blackstart mentioned 'paragraphs', your editor maybe more familiar with the term. Katy's post was broken up into manageable chunks of texts which makes it far easier to read for the viewer.
Members on here are trying to help you, if only you knew it.

regards,
Andy

Katy Penland said:
Whew, lots of fodder here for discussion. First up, and only because I don't have time just now --running out the door to do errands before the (alleged) snow flies ;) -- Canada isn't a member of the IWC and therefore would not be a signatory to this demarche to Japan. The question to ask is why Canada refuses to join. In all the years I've been a delegate to the IWC, I've never really understood why. Maybe Dan can find out. Be interesting to know that as Canada would certainly be a very powerful ally in the fight against commercial whaling. :t: Be back a bit later!
I'll see what I can find out. It may take a little while so be patient.

Ookpik said:
Canada has a whale hunt. Why is this okay?
I think Katy answered this in the last paragraph of Post #19 and , by the way, I sadi nothing to imply that any kind of whaling was ok.

This thread is starting to look like "Windfarms" and I think that flybefree is really Mark in disguise.

I am completely against the killing of whales by anyone including aboriginal groups.

I have not met Paul Watson but have had an interest in him since his younger brother used to give me rides on the back of his motorbike in Victoria, B.C. I later visited Paul's headquarters and met his father and wife. When I see his name I pay attention. Someone said that he claims to only sink whaling ships in harbour. He has rammed at least one whaler at sea. In my view, ramming a ship at sea is completely unacceptable. The crews on the ships are people trying to make a living. They are from cultures where the killing of whales is considered to be ok. I completely disagree with them but don't think that the vigilanty approach is the answer and I don't think that my disagreement with them gives me the right to put their lifes at risk.
I admire Paul's commitment and agree with his position on the issues but do not agree with his methods.

"May I ask where you got this table,"

Hi Katy.
I compiled the data myself from such sources as are available on the Net.
My purpose was to achieve some understanding of who is killing what, and at what level so that I can try & understand more of this hugely complicated & emotive topic.
The population figures are clearly uncertain-hence the ranges. The Kills are, I believe up to date.

My conclusion is the one I gave-the species appearing to be most impacted is the Bowhead, which is, I believe, endangered.It is being killed by Inuit peoples.The species being least impacted appears to be the Minke , which is not endangered-is it?
As a result of comments in this thread, and indeed other BF threads on hunting recently, I have changed my concept of cultural or native hunting.
I had rose tinted specs on I think! Modern armaments & chase boats aren't a cultural or traditional method of hunting by aboriginal peoples are they?

Your knowledge of the labyrinthine proceedings of the IWC is clearly immense, and you knowledge & love of whales manifest.But to be honest , the semantics & legalistic language by which one set of whale hunters are distinguished from another does not have the ring of logic or fairness about it.

I agree with this from Dan:-

I am completely against the killing of whales by anyone including aboriginal groups.

Let me ask you a question. Supposing there were no aboriginal quotas ( or whatever the correct expression is-it doesn,t matter!), and hunting Bowheads -& Grays by native peoples stopped.
Would that not then allow the USA & Canadian governments to join the moral high ground of protest at whale hunting by the Japanese & Norwegians, without fear of being compromised because of hunting by their own citizens?

Colin

Tyke said:
"May I ask where you got this table,"
My conclusion is the one I gave-the species appearing to be most impacted is the Bowhead, which is, I believe, endangered.It is being killed by Inuit peoples.The species being least impacted appears to be the Minke , which is not endangered-is it?
As a result of comments in this thread, and indeed other BF threads on hunting recently, I have changed my concept of cultural or native hunting.
I had rose tinted specs on I think! Modern armaments & chase boats aren't a cultural or traditional method of hunting by aboriginal peoples are they?

Colin

As I mentioned on another thread, can I point people towards George Wenzel's book "Animal rights, human rights", which doesn't talk about whaling but talks about the problems caused to Inuit communities by bans on seal fur importation and offers critiques of some animal rights arguments against Inuit seal hunting. These include the points that you make about the modern technologies used by Inuit hunters meaning that their hunting is no longer traditional. I've not got time to summarise his arguments but suffice to say their is a lot more to Inuit hunting than the animal rightists claim. The tools used are only one aspect of 'tradition'.

I'm not a big fan of whale or seal hunting myself (being vegetarian and someone who gets more pleasure out of live animals than dead ones) but I tend to think that conservationists should turn their attentions to big business and wealthy consumers rather than Inuit hunters. There are much bigger threats to wildlife than Inuit hunters, not least Euro-American patterns of consumption.

Thanks, you guys, for not booting me off the thread for being so long-winded. ;) My intent was to clarify a few of the inaccurate points Flybefree raised, but I didn't do it to offend, nor did I feel my own toes were stepped on by her posts. If there is something specific I said that Flybefree or anyone else would like me to document, I'll be happy to. I have cases of material from the four IWC meetings I attended (2000, 2001, 2003, 2004) as the American Cetacean Society's delegate, and even more from additional research into various issues. The issues themselves are pretty clear-cut; it's when politics gets mixed in with them that they become so complex as to be nearly incomprehensible without constant vigilance -- and painstaking attention to source material.

I'll stand by my comment, tongue-in-cheek though it was, that the US government hates whales. Not in and of themselves, but that it's such an insignificant policy item to them that, as the US Commissioner said at the 2004 IWC meeting in Italy, "Whales are not on the radar." It's a sad day indeed when another country's Commissioner comes up and says to you that "the US used to be the leader of the like-minded at the IWC" and that "if the US doesn't take the lead on some of these issues, Japan will eventually win."

Flybefree said:
I have never heard of him having the area cleared out like Katy says, I have only heard him say that he sinks the boats at their ports.
New Zealand Herald column on Watson's tactics in the Southern Ocean Sanctuary this year:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10364067

Isurus said:
That was kind of my point Katy - I'm getting as tired of it as you. Unfortunately its a word and fear that seem to be very effective in the political arena right now. My reference to lattitude wasn't in terms of from say the IWC but from the wider public who may withdraw support from anti-whaling and environmental organisations if they thought they "were run by terrorists" which would be a pretty easy PR card to play. I don't want to sound too negative about "007 Paul Watson" (as I shall now think of him after that article) as I really do like what he's doing (especially the excellent work done in the Galapagos) i just really hope he's carefull walking that tightrope.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying about the PR card. I dunno, though, "Watson, Paul Watson" just doesn't have the cachet that "Bond, James Bond" has. Maybe if Paul worked on his accent...? ;)

SnowyOwl said:
I admire Paul's commitment and agree with his position on the issues but do not agree with his methods.
And that's the great thing about living in free societies, where we can all have our opinions and still rationally debate the underlying issues. :t:

Oh, dear, here I go again. ;) Abject apologies for the length.

Tyke said:
I compiled the data myself from such sources as are available on the Net.
My purpose was to achieve some understanding of who is killing what, and at what level so that I can try & understand more of this hugely complicated & emotive topic.
The population figures are clearly uncertain-hence the ranges. The Kills are, I believe up to date.
The problem lies, as it always does, in how statistics are used. On its face, it could look like the "minke whale population" is robust. However, as research is beginning to emerge about this species, it appears that there are multiple genetically and/or geographically discrete stocks in Antarctic waters alone, something not known prior to a few years ago and only now known because the IWC's Scientific Committee has undertaken long-term studies of this species under their SOWER (Southern Ocean Whale and Ecosystem Research) program (non-lethal research, I hasten to add). Also revealed through this research is that the total number of minke whales in this one area is far, far lower than Japanese "data" have shown. We have consistently heard in Japan's delegation materials and in the press that there are 760,000+ minkes in this part of the world, but the SciComm has said in at least two reports that the figure is "appreciably lower" and one year, its Chair said to me, off the record, that the estimate is "less than half" what is being promulgated by the Japanese delegation.

The latest info on IWC's website for this species says: "The Commission is unable to provide reliable estimates at the present time. A major review is underway by the Scientific Committee." I have not read the SciComm report from the 2005 IWC meeting so do not know the specifics behind the wording on the website's population table.

(FYI, the IWC's Scientific Committee is comprised of scientists from both sides of the whaling aisle so their findings cannot be criticized for bias either way.)

Minke whales are also being hunted in Greenland by its Inuit peoples. In 2003, Greenland, and by extension Denmark (as Greenland is a cultural community in the Kingdom of Denmark), came under harsh criticism for not only the number of minke whales being taken but that they were being hunted on ground where 92% of the take were females, many of them pregnant. The SciComm in its 2003 report used the strongest possible language to express its concern for stocks about which very little is known and for which data are extremely difficult to obtain (weather being the most often cited reason). However, there has also been a dramatic drop in tissue samples (for genetic matching) submitted, from 110 in 1998 to a mere 30 in 2002. Yet during those same years hundreds of whales were killed, including orcas and belugas for which they are not granted a quota (Denmark claiming the IWC has "no competency" to manage small cetaceans). It was interesting to note that Greenland had no problem killing as many whales as they wished, yet could only provide 30 tissue samples!

Denmark came under additional criticism for changing its story about what was being done with all this whale meat. They said in the Working Group (the pre-Plenary meetings) the meat was sent to the mainland for "sick people in hospitals for traditional consumption" and in the Plenary said it was for "aboriginal children" going to school there. Denmark was also closely questioned about the trade in fin and minke whale bones and sperm whale teeth with Indonesia (it claimed no knowledge of such activity).

But I digress... So it's really impossible to empirically say "minke whales can be hunted because of how many there are" without qualification.

Tyke said:
My conclusion is the one I gave-the species appearing to be most impacted is the Bowhead, which is, I believe, endangered. It is being killed by Inuit peoples.
Any species or stock of whale that is a small fraction of what its pre-whaling numbers were is considered endangered. However, in the case of the bowhead, the two stocks being hunted by indigenous peoples have to be considered separately.

The Chukchi-Bering-Beaufort Sea stock (i.e., Alaska and Siberia) is estimated to be 10-14,000 animals, and the annual takes from this stock by Alaskan and Siberian Inuit are considered to be sustainable.

However, the eastern Canadian stocks, which I believe number two, which is causing all the controversy over being hunted, are estimated to be in the low hundreds from a pre-hunting estimated North Atlantic population of 22,000. Some pre-hunting estimates go as high as 90,000 based on commercial whale ship records. In any case, these two relict stocks of a once burgeoning population are considered highly endangered, particularly as the latest kill was an adult female thought to have been still nursing a calf. With a species as long-lived as the bowhead, the loss of one productive female can be catastrophic for that stock. (Estimates of bowhead age are from 115-200 years based on earplug examination; the wax contains "growth rings" similar to those on trees. Scientists still disagree whether each ring equals 1 or 2 years.)

Tyke said:
The species being least impacted appears to be the Minke , which is not endangered-is it?
As a species, no, the minke is not considered "endangered." However, I must stress that its global population is unknown, and if the global stocks of this species are genetically or geographically discrete, as appears to be the case in the Southern Ocean, then each of the stocks must be carefully managed so as to not deplete one to extirpation. This could have negative impacts on other neighboring stocks over time with the loss of genetic contribution. Not to mention possible ecosystem impacts in the area of the extirpation.

Tyke said:
I have a different take on this. If whales must be killed for food, I'd much prefer indigenous peoples to use the most modern technology available only because it means shorter times-to-death for the hunted animals. Whales, especially the "great whales," can take a long time to die when hit with multiple hand-thrown harpoons. The older, "traditional" methods also resulted in more "struck and lost" animals, meaning those whales wounded probably ended up dying anyway, necessitating the hunters to continue until they've landed their kill. In fact, even now, "struck and lost" animals are taken into account in all IWC quotas.

It's not a lovely thought, certainly, and I've had endless debates with people in the NGO community who don't want to see any whale or dolphin killed for any reason whatsoever. But what are these high-latitude humans supposed to eat? There will come a time, however, that even indigenous groups will have to take a long, hard look at how they're living, such as the Nunavut, and the Alaskan Inuit who hunt belugas in Cook Inlet: What are they going to eat when there are no more whales, or seals, or dolphins, or walrus? Will these indigenous groups die out themselves, or will they migrate to areas where more food resources are available?

In which case, in the best of all worlds, it would be wonderful if indigenous groups would take in the long-term picture and decide that neither the small stock of XXXX (fill in whatever animal you like) they're hunting, nor their own human group, should be required to cease existing. That they should begin to look to other food resources -- which they can do. Unfortunately in the case of the whales, their food resources are extremely limited by geography. They can't simply migrate somewhere else. But humans certainly can. I guess it comes down to who's more important, whales or humans. ;)

Tyke said:
Your knowledge of the labyrinthine proceedings of the IWC is clearly immense, and you knowledge & love of whales manifest.But to be honest , the semantics & legalistic language by which one set of whale hunters are distinguished from another does not have the ring of logic or fairness about it.
Unfortunately, the reality is, there are distinctions between whalers whether it sounds logical or not. This is exactly why the Convention regulating whaling was written the way it was. And I couldn't agree with you more, the semantics of international treaty law, its management, and more importantly, how individual parties to those laws interpret them, is mind-boggling. And infuriating, too. This is why the Makah issue was and still is so hotly debated. They don't deserve a "subsistence" quota of whales because they haven't eaten whale since the early part of the 20th Century, and the only reason they stopped whaling then was because it was more lucrative for them to hunt and trade in various seal products than whale. But that's another issue. ;)

Tyke said:
I agree with this from Dan:-

And that's certainly your right.

Tyke said:
Let me ask you a question. Supposing there were no aboriginal quotas ( or whatever the correct expression is-it doesn,t matter!), and hunting Bowheads -& Grays by native peoples stopped.
Would that not then allow the USA & Canadian governments to join the moral high ground of protest at whale hunting by the Japanese & Norwegians, without fear of being compromised because of hunting by their own citizens?
So because an outlaw whaling nation like Japan uses extortion, the US and other countries who have aboriginal interests, should simply cave? Don't forget, Japan (aided by its bought minions) had an ulterior motive for blocking the bowhead quota: It wanted to start "coastal whaling" for itself, which technically is a new type of "commercial" whaling. I'd call that the moral low ground, myself. The fact is, there is aboriginal whaling going on and it needs to be properly managed. To speculate on what would happen if there were no aboriginal quotas is, IMHO, a waste of time as it wouldn't change Japan's, Norway's, Iceland's, or their ilk's primary agenda: A return to commercial whaling.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back