• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US government hates whales (5 Viewers)

Andrew Whitehouse said:
As I mentioned on another thread, can I point people towards George Wenzel's book "Animal rights, human rights", which doesn't talk about whaling but talks about the problems caused to Inuit communities by bans on seal fur importation and offers critiques of some animal rights arguments against Inuit seal hunting. These include the points that you make about the modern technologies used by Inuit hunters meaning that their hunting is no longer traditional. I've not got time to summarise his arguments but suffice to say their is a lot more to Inuit hunting than the animal rightists claim. The tools used are only one aspect of 'tradition'.

I'm not a big fan of whale or seal hunting myself (being vegetarian and someone who gets more pleasure out of live animals than dead ones) but I tend to think that conservationists should turn their attentions to big business and wealthy consumers rather than Inuit hunters. There are much bigger threats to wildlife than Inuit hunters, not least Euro-American patterns of consumption.
I think there's a danger in generalizing about "Inuit hunting" especially when applying principles of one type of hunt to another and one taxa of prey to another. Couldn't agree more, though, that it's big business -- whether sponsored by a government, or private corporation, or an indigenous corporation -- that drives some Inuit hunts. But each needs to be taken and considered separately and not painted with the same brush. IMHO, of course, and saying that not having read this book. ;)

"There are much bigger threats to wildlife than Inuit hunters, not least Euro-American patterns of consumption."
Andrew-yes of course. But isn't the issue under discussion specifically whales ?
If the objective is to stop the hunting by Japan, then surely it would be helpfull to remove the wriggle room afforded to them by aboriginal hunting of whales.
At present the stance seems to be -we judge you have no cultural or other right to kill whales.We further judge that the Inuit have.Accept our judgement .....or we will ram your boats.
I cannot see how this would persuade Japan to do anything other than carry on regardless. They're probably going to do that anyway aren't they?

I am having severe doubts **about so called aboriginal/cultural hunting as a result of comments on BF.With regard to this topic, I don't see any justification for killing Bowheads at all-by anyone.How can it be a food issue? The planet is awash with food-but only has 10,000 Bowheads or so.

Katy-thanks for your response.I realise you are deeply steeped in this stuff & respect that. But I can't add anything much to the above.
Your comment:-
"I guess it comes down to who's more important, whales or humans."

just about sums it up-& you could substitute many other species for "whales"

In the case of whales it seems to be "some humans" & "some whales"-but who has the right to decide ?

Thanks
Colin

** ps having just read Ookpik , I have made my mind up !!

Last edited:
"Don't confuse "scientific" whaling with "aboriginal subsistence" whaling. "

I always find that an amusing argument. A whale isn't any 'less dead' (or any other animal) because it was killed is some 'noble pursuit'.

There is no 'aboriginal subsistance' hunting in Canada. There's 'cultural' hunting, but most Innu, Haida and others buy their food at the grocery store which has meat, Rice Crispies, frozen pizza, fresh fruits and vegetables and every other nutrional need for 'subsistance'.

The only native food that makes up a substantial part of the diet is caribou and seal...neither necessary but no far northern native refrigerator would be complete without them....because they taste good and not because of 'subsistance' needs. Hamburger is a 2.99/pound and there's no shortage of California oranges, B.C. apples, Australian wine, Dutch cheese and most other goods found south of 60.

Believe me, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, just setting out what I know are the facts surrounding the few issues I'm familiar with.

For me, how dead the whales are isn't germane but rather who has the legal right to kill them and for what purpose. Yes, they're just as dead, but we're not arguing vegetarians vs. carnivores, animal rightists vs. animal exploiters, nor is it logical to bring in groups such as the Innu and Haida who don't live on the North Slope and do have access to grocery stores and McDonald's. When the phrase "...whose aboriginal subsistence and cultural needs..." is used, it doesn't mean one or the other; both criteria have to be met to legally justify requesting a quota. The argument then gets relegated to the world of politics where one aboriginal group lobbies its government for the legal right to hunt.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm simply not versed in Canadian politics, nor how it's handled its aboriginal whaling situations. If as Ookpik says, theirs is merely a cultural hunt, then it's pretty clear why Canada refuses to join the IWC because they wouldn't get a quota based on that single criterion. At least, I'd like to think they wouldn't. The Makah in the US shouldn't have been allowed to hunt gray whales, but the US government saw to it they could, despite initial IWC condemnation.

Ookpik, under the circumstances, I can see why you take exception to the "scientific" vs. "aboriginal" whaling differentiation because it doesn't apply to Canada and because, I assume, you mean that the Innu and Haida (if they hunted whales) would be doing so for what's tantamount to commercial whaling? But there is a very real distinction in types of whaling insofar as member countries of the IWC are concerned. It just boils down to, as Colin phrased it, how "deeply steeped" one is in this stuff to try to keep it legally, scientifically and politically sorted.

My brain hurts. You guys are killin' me here. ;)

Warning: This is a novel.

Hello to Everyone.

Okay, I've got a little time to start replying to Katy's reply and then I have to leave. I can come back in later and go step by step. Very interesting forum here. I am sure there are people who read and simply want information without sarcasm or any other unprofessional comments and Andy's comment was entirely sarcastic and unprofessional -you want people believing I don't know what paragraphs are?

Again, this issue is SO complex. It’s a mad dog. Trying to dissect whaling issues is akin to having a conversation about the Bible. It is THAT complex. I suggest to anyone here who is not knowledgeable on this issue, to continue asking questions to anyone you trust but I would say that your questions are better taken outside this forum. This is a birdforum, and particularly a forum on the net on conservation issues, which are entirely debatable and filled with bias. This is not a forum or place where people are hired for their expertise on whaling issues. Those questions are better answered by experts. I do not consider myself an expert. I consider that I am only more informed than the general public –not necessarily the people on this forum. This just happens to be a big beef of mine so I try and stay on top of it. I have a bias. I am not a hunter. I am not okay with hunting birds or whales. The whaling issue brings up serious implications and problems with Innuit, Indians, native populations and I cannot write expert opinions to that here.

We could go back and forth for a hundred years. In my opinion, the only thing of any real significance is HOW DO WE, at this forum, HELP SAVE THE WHALES. That is NUMBER ONE. Re: information on whaling, *Anyone* can get this information. If you have the capacity to go to IWC meetings, excellent, but keep in mind these meetings do not stop the general public from knowing about this issue. The meetings only exist annually. The whaling industry lives and breathes nonstop.
Pull up court documents. Look at federal register notices. Track the MMPA if you live in the US. Log onto Lexus-Nexus if you have that capability. Get court documents for this issue in your country. Google everything. Google scholar everything. Call attorneys employed by conservation organizations and environmental organizations. Listen to them respond to your questions with entirely different beliefs. Ask them for their time to explain their stance, say you are interested. Watch documentaries. Read magazines. Read a term used here at this forum and then google scholar it. Google scholar 'whaling,' 'cultural whaling' and you will see how complex this issue is. Find the difference between what it means to believe in saving a population of whales and what it means to believe in saving an individual whale and watch the worms crawl out of the can. This is science, conservation arguing against regular people who are vehement in the environmental movement and have HUGE lobby efforts. Google or Lexus-Nexus 'global warming whaling or whales' and you will find threads that never end. If it doesn't show up there, change the wording around. Whales are at the top of the food chain in water, which comprises most of this planet. The effects of whaling are never ending. Every env. issue you ever heard about will come up at some point. You will never stop. You will never get bored. It is fascinating. Read journals (Intn’l Wildlife Law and Policy, Env. Biology of Fishes, Journal of Env. Law and Litigation, Mammal Review, California Coast and Ocean, Cultural Dynamics, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, Forbes even –they had an article on ‘Blubber Capitalism.’)

OK, now...

To reply to Katy’s post in a way that is more readable, will someone tell me how to separate in ‘chunks’? (and why you’re at it, the smiley faces, too) I have said before that I do not know how to separate with a ‘red line.’

Please understand, I am working with laymen’s terms. This is more sensible to me.

1) I wrote that the IWC was created “to have an organization set up for whalers that made sure whale populations could withstand hunting.”

Katy replied:

“To be accurate, the IWC was formed "... to provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry."

I don’t see how my laymen’s terms is inaccurate. ‘Proper conservation of whale stocks’ is similar to ‘[so] whale populations could withstand hunting.’

The following is taken from the IWC web site. This is the ‘convention’ text from the ICRW, the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling; 1946, which essentially started the IWC. This is not the IWC that came about as a result of the environmental movement to ‘Save the Whales.’ These were all pro-whaling signatories, including the US -as opposed to now, when the IWC has strong anti-whaling signatories. (This is at the IWC web site.)

It reads:
“Recognizing the interest of the nations of the world in safeguarding for future generations the great natural resources represented by the whale stocks;

Considering that the history of whaling has seen over-fishing of one area after another and of one species of whale after another to such a degree that it is essential to protect all species of whales from further over-fishing;

…and it goes on and on.

Notice it refers to “over-fishing”, a term I later used -and should have been more clear about. I thought you would have gotten my gist. Over-whaling is not a term but perhaps it would have been more clear. In any case, over-fishing threatens whale populations. ‘Over-fishing’ decreases whale stocks to the point of endangerment or even extinction. I hope that helps.

I wrote (and you blocked off, as if to correct) “Japan gathers other countries to join the IWC that don’t even have a stake in whaling b/c they’re inland, like Mali. All these countries vote at the IWC and if Japan can gather enough, their whaling –vested- interests are kept well. Tokyo is the world’s market for whale meat.

You then supposedly ‘corrected’ me by saying:
“Japan’s sole interest in buying IWC votes is to obtain a 3/4 majority, which is needed to lift the global moratorium on commercial whaling.”

Your statement, in no way, changes what I wrote. This is a tactic to confuse? I don’t get it. You did this over and over again. Nothing I wrote is incorrect.

I wrote: “And Japan has a -legal- 'scientific exemption' to hunt whales, which means they don't have to have an aboriginal subsistence exemption' or even a 'cultural subsistence exemption.’

You wrote: “Don’t confuse ‘scientific’ whaling with ‘aboriginal subsistence whaling.’ Who is confused? My statement never confuses the two. You are working to discredit my statements and you have no specific comments whereby you are able to do so. Japan does not have an aboriginal subsistence exemption. That’s what I wrote. That’s the truth. So this feels very competitive and very female-like, cat-like. Very much like you are the only knowledgeable whaling person in the room. Why? If we worked together, we could save the whales. Why would you want to discredit someone who actually agrees with the way you think? If you want to say that I am mistaken, please present yourself to me in a different way and only tackle me where I deserve to be corrected. I would take those corrections willingly.

2) Lastly, (I need to go so I cannot come close to finishing and would like to tackle this in ‘boxes’ so it’s clear and I can go step by step.) Hopefully, someone will explain how to do that. But lastly, because this is another way you have of trying to discredit. I see this as catty, egotistical, stepping on your toes. God help the person who has no intention but to post an informed reply and steps on the administrator’s toes. They will be met with the intention to discredit… I am stating this as a valid concern. But lastly, if like you say, Japan is only threatening to leave the IWC as a paper tiger move to ‘return’ to commercial whaling, then you have lost two serious points. (1) your original post speaks of Japan retaliating. This is the push-pull dynamic between the USA and Japan I referred to in my first post that you said you knew not of. And you did not define what it is that Japan will retaliate with; you simply posted the post. How specific can you be in your definition? What exactly is the retaliation? I don’t know where you obtained the information so I cannot reply to the specific concern, instead I replied to what is a concern amongst many. Anyone can google or google scholar this stuff. My perspective is that the bigger retaliation is them leaving the IWC. That would be the worst thing they could do –for the whales sake. I don’t think it’s professional to discount that fear. It’s real. Not the fear –the threat. Why? Because Japan is whaling under a moratorium on whaling when the only other countries allowed to whale are whaling under exemptions that involve subsistence hunting. Hunting whales for food because of a need. A subsistence need. But what is the paper tiger hunting under then? Hmm…let me think. YES! Science? A scientific exemption. So, the question becomes: What is a scientific exemption to kill whales if it is not commercial whaling? It’s the exact same thing. That’s the paper tiger you’re referring to. The paper tiger is already commercially whaling. You could discount this, too, and give the IWC definition of commercial whaling. I could, too. I could post all kinds of smarty pants quotes and definitions. Why? Anything not subsistence is essentially commercial. And no, any country cannot –realistically- whale under a scientific exemption. The US is bound by the MMPA. BTW, Remember Moby Dick? This was commercial whaling at its height. This was not too long ago. The uses of whale meat and whale products have changed throughout the years. They have not disappeared. I fear that commercial whaling may resume. I hope it does not.

Goodbye. Must go. Hello to everyone.

I had to come back in to log off...this is weird. Anyway, good luck to all.
Tim, in response: I TOTALLY Understand! It's horrible! Yikes, so much information. Your picture is Great, by the way. I read your post and saw the pic and your post fits the picture! HA I love it. I'm so sorry about the length. Don't be too mad. Read it in the bathtub! I missed 99 percent of all I could say. It's that complex... :)
Got to go. I have to save two dogs from death at a pound.

"For me, how dead the whales are isn't germane but rather who has the legal right to kill them and for what purpose."

Amazed at this Katy!!!
I thought we were discussing how to conserve whales??

I profoundly disagree with that statement.

If that's what IWC are in business for then they are culpable in the Japanese killings.

Colin

Another big concern for me is that how we as a global community agree to exploit/preserve/utilise the world's whales is going to be symptomatic of how we end up dealing with the rest of the world's pelagic fish/undersea mineral wealth/gas/the antarctic and I really don't want one nation to decide to knacker it up for everyone else and no-one to do anything about it cos its on the high seas and unbelievably difficult to police.

Last edited:
Tyke said:
"For me, how dead the whales are isn't germane but rather who has the legal right to kill them and for what purpose."

Amazed at this Katy!!!
I thought we were discussing how to conserve whales??

I profoundly disagree with that statement.

If that's what IWC are in business for then they are culpable in the Japanese killings.

Colin
Forgive my lack of clarity there. I meant that how dead whales are isn't germane to this discussion. I agree with you guys, dead is dead. I have only been talking about the legality of the different types of hunting as described under the IWC regulations.

I think some of us will have to agree to disagree on the merits of aboriginal subsistence whaling especially if we do agree that not all aboriginal hunts are created equal. ;)

Isurus said:
Another big concern for me is that how we as a global community agree to exploit/preserve/utilise the world's whales is going to be symptomatic of how we end up dealing with the rest of the world's pelagic fish/undersea mineral wealth/gas/the antarctic and I really don't want one nation to decide to knacker it up for everyone else and no-one to do anything about it cos its on the high seas and unbelievably difficult to police.

Isurus in theory I agree and this isn't directed at your vie. there is, however, something ironic about the British getting on their high horse and preaching to the world about how, after they've develop their own standard of living through exploiting the world's ecology, they want the rest of the world to preserve theirs. Prince Philip was resoundly 'booed' in Canada in the 70's after coming to our country and preaching ecological responsibility (and then returned to a an island of ploughed fields, fox hunts and pavement. 10 to 1 there's been more paved roads and buildings built in Britain since then.

Do europeans really want to set an example to the world? Then lead by example. Start a movement to do something that actually impacts the average citizen .. Something like emptying out Cornwall of people and returning it to a natural state? How would that go over? Welcomed with open arms? It sounds ridiculous when it's in one's own back yard but not so ridiculous when changes are suggested for other swaths of the world.

When it come to many urban based conservation groups the underlying theme is "what's ours is ours and what yours is ours". The Canadian Innu along the Arctic shores don't invite hypocritical white people (me included) to preach to them about how 'the global community' knows best. Brits wouldn't welcome a group of Denai being let lose in Britain to establish environmental laws according to their philosophy and those same Denai don't want Brits or anyone else imposing their 'global' claims of superior knowledge on them.

To drag this back on topic, the focus of the discussion isn't about one country telling another what to do (especially on subjects other than whaling). It's about what countries who've signed an international treaty have agreed to do, and how some of those countries aren't sticking to the agreement.

OOps, lost my post again. Yikes.
Tim: I am in love with the picture. Hey, did you use bubbles in the bath? I am sad to report that one of the dogs were killed (not mine) at the shelter. One was saved, though. They kill millions of animals each year...not about whaling, yes a part of the environment. It's horrible.
Can I just reiterate, because it's taking me a long time to go through each line that I think Katy has misunderstood or whatever and it's tiring. Hence, the long posts. Hence, the upset people reading long posts. So, can I reiterate here please that, in my opinion, my purpose here is to do what I can to inform myself and inform others -but this is a tiny part. I would prefer to find a way where we could all be involved in helping whales somehow. In some way. I believe that is the greater good. Anyway, would like to focus my perspective on that. I said I would reply to Katy's reply, so I will try (hey, that rhymes) but it is exhausting me b/c I feel like I am opening cans of worms (not with you, Katy, with these issues being complicated) and so, if I'm going to get picked apart, please at least give me the benefit of the doubt that I did not mean what you thought I meant that drove you bananas. Just ask, hey flybefree, did you mean this? I took you to mean this and this drove me bananas and I hate bananas so what the heck do you mean? I just don't think it's even possible, really, to have healthy conversations or debates by internet. It seems like it's more of a place to meet people and get rid of lonely feelings by connecting with people across the world with similar interests, but posts should be short or they drive people nuts and i am going nuts trying to explain everything.
So, here are a couple more explanations to clarify where I think Katy is misunderstanding me/whatever. I'm real sorry if I'm not clear, Katy. I'm trying. I'll keep 'em super short. After this, I will not be on the net too much. I have so much work.
1) You said you didn't agree with me that policing the waters (that's what I meant) was 'hard to undertake.' I believe I worded it differently but that is what I meant. I don't see how it can't be hard but I do believe it should be done. I think it HAS to be done. (I am not an expert so I admit I do not fully understand what this would entail.)
2) I said that the Makah Indians and NMFS were in it together in my own words. I said, the US doesn't want to sever a tie with a native American population. You then 'corrected' me by saying 'don't worry, the Makah and NMFS are in bed together'. So, again, we AGREE. I'm saying the EXACT SAME THING. Please reread my original post.
3) I said that Japan has their own spiritual/religious beliefs -not regarding whales. (Some Indians do.) Anyway, you then 'corrected' me by saying that Japan does not hunt for spiritual reasons. I never said they did. I don't know where you got that from. My apologies if I was not clear. I HATE what Japan is doing just like you do. I LOATHE it. You cannot get me more mad than this (not you, them. I'm not mad at you.) So my point is not that they give a damn about the whales. Of course not. My point was to not make Japanese people out to be bad people (excuse my wording) because they kill whales. My point was to say, and this is hard for me b/c I hate what they do. But what they do needs to be seperated from them as a people. I would be a prejudice human being against asians, against Japanese if I wanted them off the planet for their practice of killing whales. Do i disagree with it? Absolutely. But you know, we kill cows, chickens, you name it here -disgusting, in my opinion. Yes, I am a vegetarian. I am a hypocrite sometimes. I do not always stand by my beliefs. YOu can fault me and i can say this b/c it helps me stay on track. It also provides me with compassion for others. Japan does NOT see whaling as evil. I do. So, my point was not to say that they kill whales for spiritual reasons (never said it, never meant it, sorry if made that unclear). My point is to say that Japan is human, that they think their own ways, that they have differences of opinions, and ...different spiritual and religious/moral beliefs, as in whaling, that differ from my own. I hope that makes more sense. I needed to say that b/c it's hard not to Hate people who do this but I don't think it's right to hate anyone for that. I hate their actions. I do not hate them. I hate a hunter's actions when he or she kills a beautiful, wild bird...whatever the species. I do not hate the hunter. I don't know the hunter. Big difference. That was my point.
4) I used the term 'legal whaling vessels' or 'legal whaling ships' and 'ilegal whaling...' You 'corrected' me by saying there is no such thing as these. Well, I don't know what you mean unless you are nitpicking my words here. The vessel itself is not illegal. The people's actions on the vessels are illegal b/c they choose to hunt illegally. That's what I meant. But I stand by the wording b/c that's the terminology fisherman, people in env.orgs, etc. have used. You said it's only illegal if they hunt in a sanctuary. I don't agree. This is not factual. If someone 'takes' (and take, as in, the IWC language of 'take' a whale), if someone kills more whales than what they are alloted in their quota -that is not okay. That is going beyond the bounds of law at IWC.
THANK YOU

Ookpik said:
Brits wouldn't welcome a group of Denai being let lose in Britain to establish environmental laws according to their philosophy and those same Denai don't want Brits or anyone else imposing their 'global' claims of superior knowledge on them.

My post referred to the resources of the high seas and the antarctic which are theoretically at least for everyone in the world I did not refer to anyone's backyard. Also it did not refer to Brit's superior knowledge it referred to global consensus.

Anyway lets get back to the whales.

flybefree said:
OOps, lost my post again. Yikes.
Tim: I am in love with the picture. Hey, did you use bubbles in the bath? I am sad to report that one of the dogs were killed (not mine) at the shelter. One was saved, though. They kill millions of animals each year...not about whaling, yes a part of the environment. It's horrible.

THANK YOU
Sorry but for once I agree with Tim. I suspect that you have valid points buried in these massive blocks of type but I'm not wading through to find them. Please break them up to be more readable.

Thanks!

Ookpik said:
"Don't confuse "scientific" whaling with "aboriginal subsistence" whaling. "

I always find that an amusing argument. A whale isn't any 'less dead' (or any other animal) because it was killed is some 'noble pursuit'.

There is no 'aboriginal subsistance' hunting in Canada. There's 'cultural' hunting, but most Innu, Haida and others buy their food at the grocery store which has meat, Rice Crispies, frozen pizza, fresh fruits and vegetables and every other nutrional need for 'subsistance'.

The only native food that makes up a substantial part of the diet is caribou and seal...neither necessary but no far northern native refrigerator would be complete without them....because they taste good and not because of 'subsistance' needs. Hamburger is a 2.99/pound and there's no shortage of California oranges, B.C. apples, Australian wine, Dutch cheese and most other goods found south of 60.

Well said. The grocery description that you have given is accurate to my knowledge.
I am usually keen to support the rights off the First Nations. Why wouldn't I be, I've got three grandchildren who are Haida. When I speak for native rights I'm speaking for their rights.
The exception is when it comes to conservation. Yes, aboriginals have the right to hunt for cultural reasons but when it is clear that hunting animals like whales or fishing endangered salmon runs are obviously going to destroy the stock then it's time for the culture to change. It becomes a case of change now voluntarily or change later because the cultural icon has been destroyed - no whales left, no salmon left.

Ookpik said:
Isurus in theory I agree and this isn't directed at your vie. there is, however, something ironic about the British getting on their high horse and preaching to the world about how, after they've develop their own standard of living through exploiting the world's ecology, they want the rest of the world to preserve theirs. Prince Philip was resoundly 'booed' in Canada in the 70's after coming to our country and preaching ecological responsibility (and then returned to a an island of ploughed fields, fox hunts and pavement. 10 to 1 there's been more paved roads and buildings built in Britain since then.

Do europeans really want to set an example to the world? Then lead by example. Start a movement to do something that actually impacts the average citizen .. Something like emptying out Cornwall of people and returning it to a natural state? How would that go over? Welcomed with open arms? It sounds ridiculous when it's in one's own back yard but not so ridiculous when changes are suggested for other swaths of the world.

When it come to many urban based conservation groups the underlying theme is "what's ours is ours and what yours is ours". The Canadian Innu along the Arctic shores don't invite hypocritical white people (me included) to preach to them about how 'the global community' knows best. Brits wouldn't welcome a group of Denai being let lose in Britain to establish environmental laws according to their philosophy and those same Denai don't want Brits or anyone else imposing their 'global' claims of superior knowledge on them.

Your perfectly entitled to accuse the industrialised countries of hypocricy when they preach conservation to others.We are certainly destroying habitat in UK to this day.
But if that means no citizen of the developed countries is ever permitted to speak of conservation in undeveloped areas, then global co-operation on the subject is impossible.And without that there will be no really effective conservation.

Therefore your logic leads to every nation & culture dealing with it's wildlife as it sees fit -for good or ill.
So be it-but I really hope Katy is correct when she asserts that Inuit whale killing is "sustainable"

It was your honest description of the true nature of Inuit whale hunting which persuaded me there is no essential difference between their whale killing & that of the Japanese.I cannot see how the IWC's arbitrary, pseudo legal classifications of hunting has any logical basis.Therefore , since I would like to see Japanese whale hunting cease, I have to hold that view universally.Anything else would be hypocricy.

Once again I can do no better than agree with Snowy Owl's words:-

Yes, aboriginals have the right to hunt for cultural reasons but when it is clear that hunting animals like whales or fishing endangered salmon runs are obviously going to destroy the stock then it's time for the culture to change. It becomes a case of change now voluntarily or change later because the cultural icon has been destroyed - no whales left, no salmon left.

With regard to your thoughts on Cornwall, The National Trust, Cornwall Wildlife Trust, & English Nature all own large tracts of the County & protect it's wildlife.CWT has a constant campaign against Dolphin kills by pair trawlers.
Eco-tourism ventures such as whale & dolphin safaris are growing rapidly.
I think Cornwall does a reasonable job at conservation,- short of depopulation !

Colin

Tyke said:
...I really hope Katy is correct when she asserts that Inuit whale killing is "sustainable"
This is exactly the kind of generalization that makes debate of complex issues impossible. I have never said categorically that "Inuit whale killing is sustainable." I have said that each case has to be considered on its own merits. Greenland's Inuit hunts of minke, narwhal and beluga whales are not sustainable. Eastern Canada's Inuit hunt of bowhead is not sustainable. North Slope Alaskan and Siberian Inuit hunt of bowhead is sustainable. Alaskan Inuit hunting of beluga whales in Cook Inlet is not sustainable. Jury's still out whether the St. Vincent & The Grenadine's "aboriginal subsistence" hunt of humpbacks each year is sustainable. (This last example and that of the Makah are true travesties of "aboriginal subsistence needs" and IMHO don't qualify for subsistence hunts in the first place.)

Tyke said:
It was your honest description of the true nature of Inuit whale hunting which persuaded me there is no essential difference between their whale killing & that of the Japanese.
With all due respect to Ookpik, his "honest" description was of a single instance which you have decided to apply to all Inuit hunts -- perhaps inferring that anything anyone else has said is "dishonest"? If that is as far as you're willing to go to understand the issue, then fine. But this "don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up" attitude is the kind of misinformation conservationists have to battle all the time, especially in the press and at venues like the IWC.

Tyke said:
I cannot see how the IWC's arbitrary, pseudo legal classifications of hunting has any logical basis.Therefore , since I would like to see Japanese whale hunting cease, I have to hold that view universally.Anything else would be hypocricy.
Nothing about what the IWC does is arbitrary, flawed as some of its system may be, and it's the only international body with the authority to globally manage whale stocks. I don't know where you get the idea that a legally binding international treaty contains "pseudo legal classifications." This is simply your ignorance of the process and your unwillingness to actually hear what's being said here in this thread because your mind is already made up to wholesale condemn all aboriginal subsistence hunting.

Which is your right. But it would have been more honest of you, Colin -- or to use your own words, less hypocritical -- to simply say that you condemn all whale killing regardless of reason rather than to try to rationalize your opinion about aboriginal subsistence hunts with selective and out-of-context information.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back