• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA Are these all mallards? (1 Viewer)

yes the middle bird is a male hybrid looking closer to American black duck that to mallard , but it has half a tail curl, a rather reddish brown breast and a dark-capped head pattern where there seems also a very weak green head gloss visible- all indicating some mallard genes

So how do you list your hybrid bird?
Personally I never list hybrids because they are not a species. For the same reason I never list feral pigeons. However, I can see that the occurrence of hybrids can be quite interesting to track.

.... For the same reason I never list feral pigeons....
Except feral pigeons are not hybrids, they're the same species as Rock Dove, just domesticated variants that have gone back to living in wild conditions again. So (in UK) they're as 'tickable' as Pheasants or Little Owls or Egyptian Geese (y)

Except feral pigeons are not hybrids, they're the same species as Rock Dove, just domesticated variants that have gone back to living in wild conditions again. So (in UK) they're as 'tickable' as Pheasants or Little Owls or Egyptian Geese (y)
OK, hybrids is the wrong word. They are just selectively bred/ domesticated. When in the future I see a feral dog I will tick it off as a wolf :D

But how often do you see a genuine feral dog, which is not just someones' pet running loose? Don't think I ever have, at least not in UK.
I was bitten by one in India and had to be treated for rabies. There is so much garbage lying around that they have plenty to eat and can easily survive on their own. Also, when I lived in Taiwan and cycled at night in the mountains I was often chased by groups of them, which was rather scary at times. :D

Being bitten and chased by wolves sounds a lot cooler than feral dogs, so I will use the new definition from now on :D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back