• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA Hawk ID (1 Viewer)

mali

England
North American Hawk, pic taken in North Carolina in August...Some on another forum have suggested Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus)...Ideas please.

Attachments

• USA Hawk 9526.jpg
    USA Hawk 9526.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 160
It's not a rough-legged. No dark patch at wrist.

It's not a red-tailed either. No patagial bar, no belly band.

It's a juvenile red-shouldered, or maybe broad-winged. I think I can see "windows" at the base of the primaries so I'll go with red-shouldered.

Last edited:
It's not a rough-legged. No dark patch at wrist.

It's not a red-tailed either. No patagial bar, no belly band.

It's a juvenile red-shouldered. You can even see the "windows" at the base of the primaries if you look closely.

Agree with nartreb; it is definitely a young Red-shouldered Hawk. Note also the dark streaking on the breast. Red-tails have an unmarked breast.

Last edited:
There is a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk pictured in Plate #222 in Wheeler's "Raptors of Eastern North America" that is marked very much like this one although the "windows" at the base of its primaries are somewhat more dominant.

"Brown head and throat. Broad streaks or blobs on underparts. Leg feathers always unmarked. Tawny crescent shaped window on base of outer 6 primaries. Inner primaries and all secondaries barred. Numerous narrow, pale gray tail bands; often rufous bands on basal area."

Bob

Last edited:
And another for immature red-shouldered.

The long wings fit shoulder better than red-tail. The streaking is on the upper breast, not the belly. The barring on the tail is far too strong for an immature red-tail. And you can see the crescent windows - on a juvie red-tail they'd be square.

Thanks all for your time, comments and opinions...I guess I will settle for juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk then.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back