• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UVHD+ appreciation ~ my, how I do (1 Viewer)

Well here's another way to think on this. Extrapolating from Jan's sales figures, all or most of the competition having given up, now means most 7X demand consolidates around Leica, potentially finally making it profitable for them. Seems like 7x fans have something to celebrate.

The Leica view is just such a joy! Leica does have magic in their bins. Those guys at Leica are doing something that is irresistible. Put any UVHD+ binoculars into your hands, and then bring them to your eyes and... you know it. You FEEL it. And you SEE it. That's why Leica binocular owners love those bins so dang much. Leica magic! o_O

The Leica view is just such a joy! Leica does have magic in their bins. Those guys at Leica are doing something that is irresistible. Put any UVHD+ binoculars into your hands, and then bring them to your eyes and... you know it. You FEEL it. And you SEE it.
Not available in HD+, but I just got a set of 8x20 Ultravids for my brother. He'd been put off by expensive binoculars after having a larger set each of Swarovski and Leica stolen, but he sounds quite keen on having a new pair of high end compacts on the way that he can just wear when in public, and never need to set down.

...just got a set of 8x20 Ultravids for my brother.
They just showed up and all reticence evaporated the moment he looked through them. Not just a noticeable boost in brightness, but dramatic, which while not surprising to most of you, very surprising to him. He really likes the smoothness of the focus and the quick and easy diopter adjustment too, not to mention the strap, which with total lack of friction, sounds to be absolute perfection for under-arm carry.

I'm going to have to get a set of the Ultravid 8x20 myself sometime in the near future.

Most likely my next purchase will be a 10x32....and due to fit, ergonomics etc...feel...I like the Leica UVHD or the Meopta Meostar B1.1. They are similar in style unlike some of the other bins out here such as the MHD, CL, Genesis, etc.... Really, the extra few ounces 3-5 ounces Leica/Meostar carry over the lightest of the others is almost immaterial. The feel in my hands and the fun I get from that particular style is what I am after.

I have tried both the UVHD and B1.1 and the latter is almost my favorite due to price, feel etc and I do enjoy the look of the Meostar 8x32. Has anyone here done a comparison between the 10x of both the UVHD and B1.1 and your thoughts on this? jim

You might enjoy adding FL 10x32 to your UV/B1.1 comparison. A somewhat different spin on the "feel and fun" of the format that took me a long time to get around to trying. (I've had BN and UV, not MeoStar.)

Most likely my next purchase will be a 10x32....and due to fit, ergonomics etc...feel...I like the Leica UVHD or the Meopta Meostar B1.1. They are similar in style unlike some of the other bins out here such as the MHD, CL, Genesis, etc.... Really, the extra few ounces 3-5 ounces Leica/Meostar carry over the lightest of the others is almost immaterial. The feel in my hands and the fun I get from that particular style is what I am after.

I have tried both the UVHD and B1.1 and the latter is almost my favorite due to price, feel etc and I do enjoy the look of the Meostar 8x32. Has anyone here done a comparison between the 10x of both the UVHD and B1.1 and your thoughts on this? jim

Jim,

Based on your comments above and some others you made recently in a different thread, I agree with tenex, post 26, You might enjoy adding the 10x32 FL to your comparison. I have never tried a Meopta but have owned UVHD+ and FL 10x32 for 5 or 6 years. Both excellent of course but I prefer the FL because I can hold it slightly but noticeably steadier. I also really like the FL "snap focus" characteristic. Both aspects are very subjective of course.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Jim,

Based on your comments above and some others you made recently in a different thread, I agree with tenex, post 26, You might enjoy adding the 10x32 FL to your comparison. I have never tried a Meopta but have owned UVHD+ and FL 10x32 for 5 or 6 years. Both excellent of course but I prefer the FL because I can hold it slightly but noticeably steadier. I also really like the FL "snap focus" characteristic. Both aspects are very subjective of course.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike
Yes… looks to be a contender. I hvnt tried nor ever seen one but will look into. I can see this Zeiss giving the UVHD a run for the money. Jim

All three of the alpha binocular producers have well-earned the adulation and respect that they have received.

But I know that Leica seems to be at least "third fiddle" around here. They don't present the latest, most radical ideas in binocular design. They don't get much press, nor much forum enthusiasm. But I've discovered that none of that matters. Leica produce, today, some of the finest binoculars money can buy. I'm talking about the tried, true, and well time-tested Ultravid HD plus line of binoculars.

My idea for this thread is just to give a little tribute to a brand that may seem a little "under the radar" of some of today's binocular enthusiasts. As I compare UVHD+ binoculars to some of the popular Zeiss SF and Swarovski EL and NL offerings, I'm thrilled to say that the UVHD+ binoculars are truly spectacular - in razor sharpness, beautiful color quality, rich saturation, snappy contrast, and rock-solid build quality. And, they are priced quite reasonably, comparatively speaking.

I have just two Leica UVHD+ binoculars at present (have also briefly had two others), but I love and respect them as much as (or more than) my five Zeiss and two Swarovski bins. Here's a bravo to Leica!

UVHD+ 10x32 and 7x42 - two of the finest binoculars you can buy!
51361852001_6aba804e40_b.jpg

In time, I will pass these down to younger generations, and I'm sure that they will be just as amazed as I am at the fine quality, incredible views, and high performance that they offer. They are family heirlooms!
I’ve a pair of non HD UV 10x32.

They’re very nice although CA control isn’t great.

How do the HD+ versions compare to NV in terms of the view?

I don't have a pair of NV, so not able to reply to that.

I will say, however, that I experience no CA issues with any of my three UVHD+ binoculars.

I have found myself in a wonderful state of contentment. I have no desire to purchase nor even explore any other binoculars. No "gas" nor even curiosity. That's a sweet place to be - the result of being completely content with enjoying my binoculars.

I have found myself in a wonderful state of contentment. I have no desire to purchase nor even explore any other binoculars. No "gas" nor even curiosity. That's a sweet place to be - the result of being completely content with enjoying my binoculars.
My advice at this point is to quit this forum and move on, just enjoying your wonderful binoculars. I’m kidding, sort of.😀 It’s just too easy to get caught up in the myriad tiny issues that a major deal breakers to some, and not noticeable to others. Then you begin to obsess over every little perceived shortcoming.

Hello,

the newer HD + should handle CA a little better.

The Noctivid also shows CA, especially in the 10x42 I find it noticeable, that 8x42 is a bit better but clearer than a NL, EL, SF.
I don't think the Noctivid really differ from the UVHD+ in this discipline.

Andreas

My advice at this point is to quit this forum and move on, just enjoying your wonderful binoculars. I’m kidding, sort of.😀 It’s just too easy to get caught up in the myriad tiny issues that a major deal breakers to some, and not noticeable to others. Then you begin to obsess over every little perceived shortcoming.
No need to quit the forum. I just don't have any need to visit here much. As a musician, photographer, and RVer, I direct most of my time and attention to those pursuits.

So in choosing Noctivid over the UV HD+ what would you be getting aside from the different physical design?
There are not only CA but also other optical criteria and I wouldn't underestimate the physical design in the overall rating! ;)

Andreas

I enjoy the 7x42 UVHD+. It has enough eye relief to use with my eyeglasses. Unfortunately, it’s the only 32-42mm UVHD+ binocular that does. It’s compact enough and versatile enough to meet my needs for a binocular in this size range though.

I enjoy the 7x42 UVHD+. It has enough eye relief to use with my eyeglasses. Unfortunately, it’s the only 32-42mm UVHD+ binocular that does. It’s compact enough and versatile enough to meet my needs for a binocular in this size range though.
Agreed! 7x42HD+ is my favorite bin, and it’s not even close. I too wear glasses, and it has just enough ER to accommodate my facial features. Have it paired with a 10x42 NV, and those two cover all my daytime needs.

No need to quit the forum. I just don't have any need to visit here much. As a musician, photographer, and RVer, I direct most of my time and attention to those pursuits.
I meant it tongue in cheek, but there’s a little truth in what I said lol.

Last edited:
Just be sure to post some nice pictures -when you do visit the forum once in a while- of the beautiful desert and the remarkable wild life, would be highly appreciate. Be me at least.

So in choosing Noctivid over the UV HD+ what would you be getting aside from the different physical design?
It has a flatter field (but not rolling ball flat) a much larger sweet spot, more neutral/natural colours (but still Leica), better resolution and contrast, a more immersive image, less CA, better focuser - the list is long, but the differences are not big, and having the 10x42 NV in no way detracts from my experience and enjoyment of my 7x42 and 12x50 UVHD+ bins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back