• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vancouver, BC - American Crow OR Northwestern Crow? (1 Viewer)

Kanger

Canada
Hi I took these pictures near my place.

City urban area. Vancouver, BC, Canada, resident area. These crow always hang out near my place and also are very commonly spotted in in other neighbourhood in the city.
Would anyone please identify what species of crow are they?

KakaoTalk_20221010_121628903.jpgKakaoTalk_20221010_121628903_01.jpgKakaoTalk_20221010_121757901.jpgKakaoTalk_20221010_121757901_01.jpg

In my opinion, Northwestern crow never met the criteria to be considered a "proper" species. AFAIK, it was only ever identifiable by location—"if you're in such and such a place it must / might be a northwestern crow". It's now been subsumed back into the American crow species pretty much universally; I think it's maintained as a somewhat ill-defined subspecies of this taxon by some.

Hi Kanger, the crows of coastal BC (and Washingston/Alaska) used to be considered Northwestern Crow and most bird books except the most up to date will have them as such. However, a few years ago genetic studies indicated that they are better placed as part of American Crow so they are now considered to be that species as "Northwestern" and American interbreed freely where ranges meet in coastal Washington state.

In my opinion, Northwestern crow never met the criteria to be considered a "proper" species. AFAIK, it was only ever identifiable by location—"if you're in such and such a place it must / might be a northwestern crow". It's now been subsumed back into the American crow species pretty much universally; I think it's maintained as a somewhat ill-defined subspecies of this taxon by some.
Thanks for sharing your great knowledge. Much appreciated.

Hi Kanger, the crows of coastal BC (and Washingston/Alaska) used to be considered Northwestern Crow and most bird books except the most up to date will have them as such. However, a few years ago genetic studies indicated that they are better placed as part of American Crow so they are now considered to be that species as "Northwestern" and American interbreed freely where ranges meet in coastal Washington state.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Your answer is very helpful!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back