• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

I'm interested alright, but the bank balance says otherwise!

Fair enough. Let me know if you ever want to start and I'll point you in the right direction.

I heard the Pheasants outside a few times today but I didn't see them until earlier tonight as the sun was starting to set. The females all landed to feed whilst the male stood to attention on the wall. No idea why he struck this pose but it made me laugh:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7282/8742641300_ee19feef5d_b.jpg

Attachments

• 8742641300_ee19feef5d_b.jpg
    8742641300_ee19feef5d_b.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 46
Swallow over the garden

well spotted roger :t:

We had a Swift yesterday . it landed in next doors garden and got trapped on the ground near the dustbin area. There was nowhere for it to climb up to get airborne so I carefully took it indoors to check it over for any damage.

The only thing handy was the washing basket lol :-O

Sorry for the appalling quality pictures . I was stunned at how large its wingspan was! I measured it against the basket and it has to be at least 16" if not more (400mm) yet the birds body is smaller than a starling with a beautiful forked tail.

As it climbed the inside of the basket and flexed its wings I could see that it was unharmed so I gently took it outside and tossed it high up into the air and it just managed to get lift off and dissappear into the adjacent fields.

I hadn't appreciated how much they are in decline so we are now committed to building and erecting a couple of nest boxes along the eaves where it was looking for a nest site in the old stonework of our cottage.

Attachments

• swift.JPG
    swift.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 51
  • swift3.jpg
    swift3.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 43

We had a Swift yesterday . it landed in next doors garden and got trapped on the ground near the dustbin area. There was nowhere for it to climb up to get airborne so I carefully took it indoors to check it over for any damage.

Sorry for the appalling quality pictures . I was stunned at how large its wingspan was! I measured it against the basket and it has to be at least 16" if not more (400mm) yet the birds body is smaller than a starling with a beautiful forked tail.

As it climbed the inside of the basket and flexed its wings I could see that it was unharmed so I gently took it outside and tossed it high up into the air and it just managed to get lift off and dissappear into the adjacent fields.

I hadn't appreciated how much they are in decline so we are now committed to building and erecting a couple of nest boxes along the eaves where it was looking for a nest site in the old stonework of our cottage.

Well done EB good work

:t::t:

CB

Yesterday was outside for quite a while and was rewarded with the first Swifts of the year, a Sparrowhawk circling high up with the gulls, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker.

CB

First juveniles in the garden today, house sparrows, starlings and a blue tit

So far I think you're the only one to post having seen juveniles. Anyone else? We haven't had a single one so far, presumably due to the looong Winter which dragged on into April. About this time last year I enjoyed watching the little birds getting fed by the parents. Hopefully we still have that to come to.

So far I think you're the only one to post having seen juveniles. Anyone else? We haven't had a single one so far, presumably due to the looong Winter which dragged on into April. About this time last year I enjoyed watching the little birds getting fed by the parents. Hopefully we still have that to come to.

i don't think i am the first,far from it!!!

I came home this evening to find a juvenile Dunnock on the patio fighting for life on its side, presumably having hit a window. I went through the usual rescue attempt but to no avail this time.

A THING flew into my garden, snatched up a northern flicker, and flew off with it. (A gull also seemed interested in eating the unfortunate flicker, and chased after the THING; both vanished behind the trees, and I didn't see which one got to enjoy the snack. Nor did I get a particularly good look at the THING; I could not identify it. But I attached a picture, in case anybody's familiar enough with it to be able to recognise it from a horrible, long-distance shot.)

Attachments

• stop_things.jpg
    stop_things.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 60
Could be...I thought I noticed facial markings that would match up with that, but I only saw its face clearly for a moment. (I am horrible at identifying birds from any angle other than directly side-on, especially from a distance.)

That would be nice, if it was...it would be a new addition to my life list.

Might be worthwhile putting it in the ID section if you want a more definite ID Socar. I've only been to Canada a few times (hopefully again next year) so am not upto speed with many of the birds.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back