• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

about to photograph our resident GSWoodpecker this morning and saw these two out of the corner of my eye. A pair of Siskins !
First in our garden for 10 years ..

I managed to take over 100 pictures but it was very difficult reaching over the sink out of the bathroom window at 720mm full zoom so the images are not as clear as I would have liked.

Then just when I thought the grin on my face couldn't get any wider, our 3x resident Goldfinch turned up on the same feeder.

Attachments

• siskin pair cropped 500%.JPG
    siskin pair cropped 500%.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 68
  • goldfinch pair cropped iso 800 f56 763mm 04-01-2011 11-44-16 2256x1770.JPG
    goldfinch pair cropped iso 800 f56 763mm 04-01-2011 11-44-16 2256x1770.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 63
Well no Stock Dove for me today but still a good selection visited - the usual Song Thrush, a Goldfinch and 2 Redpolls.

Later at my parents, I had single ringed Blue Tit, Robin, Blackbird and Great Tit. The best bird of all was the first ever Siskin in the garden - I've had them before but only flying over.

CB

Well no Stock Dove for me today but still a good selection visited - the usual Song Thrush, a Goldfinch and 2 Redpolls.

Later at my parents, I had single ringed Blue Tit, Robin, Blackbird and Great Tit. The best bird of all was the first ever Siskin in the garden - I've had them before but only flying over.

CB

Two Stock Doves here yesterday CB. They often come in to feed on the seed I scatter for the ground feeders.

Sparrow Hawk here again today, got a sparrow of some sort, thats two in two days. Poor pictures through window.

Yellow Hammers reached nine today, a high for this year.

The Male Brambling seems to have moved on since last weekend and chaffinch numbers have dropped off too.

Sparrow picture from last weekend. I spent a couple of hours trying to get comparison shots, not so easy I dicovered. this was the best one with male and female House and a Tree Sparrow.

Pretty wet here today, hoping for better tomorrow as I hope to get a few roving records for the Bird Atlas before the end of the month.

Hundreds of gulls today as the farmer cultivated the field next door. I checked them all but only Black Headed in differing plumages, some 1st year and a few with black heads but mostly still winter. At least a hundred Rooks today too. The flock came in off the fields when the bird scarer went off.They soon learnt to ignore it though.

Lewis

Attachments

• garden-birds-2011-106.jpg
    garden-birds-2011-106.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 66
  • garden-birds-2011-107.jpg
    garden-birds-2011-107.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 59
  • 2011-014-Sparrows.jpg
    2011-014-Sparrows.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 64
I have to sadly, report my first fatality, a dead goldfinch 2 feet from my frosted glass curtain screened back door. There was a tell tell splatter of blood on the door. and the the feeding station is 20 feet from the door. I can't imagine why a bird would have flown into it.
On a positive note the numbers of gold finch and greenfinch visiting is now so high I literally cannot count them.

Great photos everyone. I know its not a garden but when parking in a large car park for a supermarket, along the area of the car park are young trees and in one of the trees was a Song Thrush singing its heart out and I stood and listened to it amongst the people who had no time to stand just for a minute until a lady came up to me and said 'I'm glad you can hear it too'. It must have sang for over an hour but even though there no leaves on the trees I couldn't see it.

13 goldfinch and the beautiful little goldcrest making a welcome return,a cracking bird to watch.collared doves,blackbirds,greenfinches,the moorhen made a welcome return yesterday while it was snowing.at the moment goldfinches are taking over the garden,but very welcome :t:

about to photograph our resident GSWoodpecker this morning and saw these two out of the corner of my eye. A pair of Siskins !
First in our garden for 10 years ..

Well done and also good pics!

The best bird of all was the first ever Siskin in the garden - I've had them before but only flying over.

CB

...and more Siskins!

Sparrow Hawk here again today, got a sparrow of some sort, thats two in two days.

Yellow Hammers reached nine today, a high for this year.

Superb pics there and well done with the Yellowhammers. I'd love to see one in my garden.

A mixed flock of finches

We set up our current feeding station a couple of years ago, and after some experimentation we stock it with nyger seed, peanuts, and sunflower hearts, and put miscellaneous tasty morsels on the wire tray. We also put food on the lawn near the feeder, and doing this consistently and reasonably generously (mixed seed, nyger seed, black sunflower seed) has attracted an interesting mixed flock of finches. I describe them as a flock because they display collective alarm behaviour which is largely ignored by other ground-feeding birds (robin, dunnock, blackbird, pied wagtail, etc) that are near them. The flock typicaly numbers twenty to thirty birds.

So what's in the flock? The core is a group of up to twenty chaffinches, and these feed only on the ground. With them there are usually three or four bramblings, which likewise feed only on the ground. There are a similar number of redpolls, but these are equally happy feeding on the nyger seed feeder, although they do not eat anything else from the feeders. We have very large numbers of goldfinches, and these feed with equal enthusiasm on the nyger seed feeder and the sunflower heart feeder, but will also feed on the ground, particularly when the feeders become a bit crowded, and then they form part of the flock. Finally, when greenfinches are around they feed on the sunflower heart feeder and also join the flock. Birds on the feeders ignore the alarm behaviour of the flock on the ground.

It may seem obvious that if you want a good variety of birds, then feeding a variety of foods in a variety of ways is a good idea, but it is really interesting to me to see it working out in practice. Not yet any siskins, however, and, sadly, bullfinches are only a rare sighting on our hedgerow trees. We have a red-legged partridge at the moment, probably a refugee from the same nearby shoot that is no doubt the source of our numerous ring-necked pheasants, although the pheasants do breed on our land as well, so it is quite common to see a hen with two or three chicks in the summer.

Just to complete the picture with some of our other birds, Parus tits (GT, BT, CT, Marsh Tit) feed on the peanuts and the sunflower hearts, with occasional excursions to pick up oddments from the tray or the ground. Long-tailed tits occasionally visit in parties of half-a-dozen or so and eat peanuts for a few minutes, then move on. Great spotted woodpeckers and nuthatches eat peanuts. Blackcaps and robins feed from the tray, with robins occasionally making a rather clumsy job of taking a few sunflower hearts from the feeder. Starlings will have a go at any easy pickings. And how could I forget or resident sparrowhawks, which the feeding programme is supporting at one remove!

Last edited:
Well done and also good pics!

thanks Bongo :t: I'm chuffed to bits but I must get a better set up than leaning out the bathroom window:-O

can i ask everyone what type of Sunflower Heart Feeder you recommend or use ? i can only find the wire mesh ones on Amazon which don't look very good for the bird's beaks to be honest

eb well done with the Siskin

Here this afternoon:
42 Lesser Redpoll
1 Mealy Redpoll
6 Siskin
Wren
Leucistic Blackbird
2 Rook
60+ B H Gulls above, mostly showing summer plumage now

Interesting and thorough appraisal RS well done:t: I thinks we should share more information about feeding stations and food choices as well as photography tips

We have a bunch of 9x long-tailed tits that visit our feeders. Over the past 12 months they have eaten suet blocks and fat balls exclusively. You might try some fat balls for yours.The only drawback is they will also attract the Starlings and Jackdaws but the Blue and Great Tits love them too.

If it wasn't for our peanut suet blocks we almost certainly wouldn't get regular vists from our resident nesting pairs of GS Woodpeckers and Green Woodpeckers.

We are looking to add a sunflower heart feeder for our goldfinches and Siskins. I'm hoping we will attract our first Greenfinches for years.

Its interesting how eating habits of various species vary from garden to garden isn't it !

A mixed flock of finches

We set up our current feeding station a couple of years ago, and after some experimentation we stock it with nyger seed, peanuts, and sunflower hearts, and put miscellaneous tasty morsels on the wire tray. We also put food on the lawn near the feeder, and doing this consistently and reasonably generously (mixed seed, nyger seed, black sunflower seed) has attracted an interesting mixed flock of finches

Last edited:
eb well done with the Siskin

Here this afternoon:
42 Lesser Redpoll
1 Mealy Redpoll
6 Siskin
Wren
Leucistic Blackbird
2 Rook
60+ B H Gulls above, mostly showing summer plumage now

I cannot believe your numbers bfb :eek!: they are amazing. I think you should contact Springwatch :t:

What is leucistic ? is like dislexic for birds lol:-O

another good count of Lessers this morning... with a lot of squirrel disturbance I managed to correctly count 42... very flighty with more in the trees that I didnt count before they all got spooked (If they would settle I know 50+ this week will be on)

3 Siskins
1 Mealy Redpoll

*** New garden record count for Siskin 10 ***
:t:

Last edited:
today is a finch day! 18 goldfinch,10 greenfinch,8 chaffinch,along with 5 blue tits,6 blackbirds,8 collared doves,but the robins seem to have diappeared?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back