• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

How to attract orioles next spring

This summer I had great luck attracting orioles to our property. The only thing I did differently was to put cherry preserves in the feeders instead of grape jelly. I attracted a huge flock of orioles which stayed throughout May and June. In 2009 and 2010, when I had used grape jelly, I didn't attract any orioles. I am considering putting out a sign next spring announcing "Bev Stayart Oriole Welcome Center" to make sure the orioles return. Seriously, what else do you think I can do, other than putting cherry preserves in their feeders, to make it more likely they will return next spring?

This summer I had great luck attracting orioles to our property. The only thing I did differently was to put cherry preserves in the feeders instead of grape jelly. I attracted a huge flock of orioles which stayed throughout May and June. In 2009 and 2010, when I had used grape jelly, I didn't attract any orioles. I am considering putting out a sign next spring announcing "Bev Stayart Oriole Welcome Center" to make sure the orioles return. Seriously, what else do you think I can do, other than putting cherry preserves in their feeders, to make it more likely they will return next spring?

hi bev
i don't think you need to do anything different,just put the cherry preserves out again and watch them flock in,if it worked a first time for them i am sure it will work again :t:

I was out early in the morning again today, but there wasn't too much around. A pair of common ground doves, and the single mourning dove at the feeder.

Otherwise, looking across the lake there was simply a great blue heron and a green heron (first time seeing one in that spot) along with a brown pelican flyover. I did take a walk though which yielded a nice lifer out of an eastern towhee and I finally managed to ID a call that I've been hearing all the time since I got here. It's an ovenbird, now I just need to find it :p

I was out early in the morning again today, but there wasn't too much around. A pair of common ground doves, and the single mourning dove at the feeder.

Otherwise, looking across the lake there was simply a great blue heron and a green heron (first time seeing one in that spot) along with a brown pelican flyover. I did take a walk though which yielded a nice lifer out of an eastern towhee and I finally managed to ID a call that I've been hearing all the time since I got here. It's an ovenbird, now I just need to find it :p

Good stuff Azzy, herons and pelicans and life birds, your doing well. :t:

Good to see the return to the garden of the Rooks. I have a large family party sat on the neighbours TV aerial and in my Oak Tree :t:

3 Swallows hawking above the trees for flies

Last edited:
Hummers arrive

Not many visitors to our yards at present cos I'm still not putting our feeders - trying to stop an outbreak of avian pox among our House Finches.
Put a hummingbird feeder up, though, as Ruby-throated hummers are migrating through our area. Mainly females, who rarely let the (occasional) male feed. Got a photo of one male, however.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• DSC09779.JPG
    DSC09779.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC09786.JPG
    DSC09786.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 35
Nice to see you putting up some images Jeff... also good luck with eradicating the outbreak.

I am off walking Angle tarn and High street areas of the Lake District this weekend, the rain will no doubt be relentless.. :storm:

Male Sparrowhawk just sent everything flying and a few moments later a Speckled Wood Butterfly just landed right in front of me on my PC while I type away... very sweet

Last edited:
Nice to see you putting up some images Jeff... also good luck with eradicating the outbreak.

I am off walking Angle tarn and High street areas of the Lake District this weekend, the rain will no doubt be relentless.. :storm:

Thanks, Dave. I'm just back from a trip to Colorado and Montana - work with a bit of birding on the side.

Angle Tarn? Nice! Used to fellwalk around there when I was in grammar school.

Jeff

Male Sparrowhawk just sent everything flying and a few moments later a Speckled Wood Butterfly just landed right in front of me on my PC while I type away... very sweet

do you have your pc outside daveB :)

15 goldfinches on the nyjer seed this pm,plus plenty of coal tits and great tits flying about,greenfinches are gathering force as well.have a great weekend everybody :t:

A new garden bird today! Albeit briefly a single Linnet landed in the tops of my hawthorns with a group of goldfinches. I am going to have to total my list up again, lost it when my old laptop decided to break and die on me.

Birds have been that busy at the feeders I am completely out of food, apart from nuts which are going down slowly. 4 Dunnocks mousing around the bottom of the garden. Blue and great tits in the trees. Managed to count 3 individual Coal Tit at one go today. Also bullfinches calling away. I had a large group of swallows, c50 over the house. Tawny owl has been calling at night as well.

I live in norfolk and for the first time today a new bird for me turned up, it was a Black Redstart Juvenile, i only found this out after a bit of a search and everything matched up so im very happy.

Also had a Blue Tit jump on my window and taptaptap i heard, on the tree apart from the 2 annoying doves we had sparrows this morning but throughout the day a steady stream of Juvenile and adult Goldfinches (20+at 1 point) , the lil uns have started to get the black and red on thier heads...they grow up fast :) and bold.

2 times now cats have wandered under the tree and they have just froze and sat watching the cat like a scene from the film "The Birds", im sure they are planning to mug the poor cat one day :cat: - going to find it tied up under the tree

A new garden bird today! Albeit briefly a single Linnet landed in the tops of my hawthorns with a group of goldfinches.

A very good garden bird there.

Female GSW popped in yesterday evening and tits aplenty. Now September is here I shall dust off the nijer seed feeder ready for the onslaught of Siskins, Lesser Redpoll and maybe one or two Mealys:t:

Hello folks, it's been a while since I've posted as I've had a busy summer visiting relatives abroad. I've also had a busy last month or so in the garden, plenty of goldfinch 30 + (easy) mixed with the odd two or three greenfinch which is great! Even had a chiffchaff visit now and again but the biggy was a female GSW (garden first) which, foraged around my apple tree for a good 10 minutes! Unfortunately, it was early morning and I was changing the baby's nappy so I didn't manage a photo! I'm hoping it will return in the winter months (when the fat feeders come out in force) as the last time I saw one was during the snow last year, although in the neighbours garden not mine.
Some great photos keep them coming! I've just had my camera repaired so hopefully I can get some pics up myself shortly!

3 juvenile bullfinches flitting in and around the feeders this morning, great start to the weekend.

As Bongo said, am waiting for the nyjer seed to start depleting rapidly, once the goldfinches and siskins descend for autumn/winter !

hi bev
i don't think you need to do anything different,just put the cherry preserves out again and watch them flock in,if it worked a first time for them i am sure it will work again :t:

Thanks, Roger. I will put out the cherry preserves again next spring. They love to pick the whole fruit out of the cups. I am sure they also like the heavily forested areas surrounding our house for their habitat.

Very quiet this morning, probably due to this "girl" hanging around! Maybe not a bad thing though, the 40+ Goldfinch have literately destroyed the sunflower hearts this weekend!

Attachments

• new026w.jpg
    new026w.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 41
  • new034.jpg
    new034.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 54
4 coal tits at the feeders today, most I can remember seeing here :t:

Blue and great tits also very active, along with a couple of dunnocks and the odd visit from the sparrow gang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back