• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

Trades and Swapsies

Doing mhy weekly garden count for the BTO Garden Birdwatch yesterday. Another dull, cold, cloudy day, and I wasn't expecting much. Miraculously, after half an hour of bird- free frustration, an avalanche of birds- blue tits, chaffinches, coal tits, dunnocks all arrived within seconds of ech other. Earlier in the week I had a peak of 8 greenfinches, and was a little disappointed that I only had 5 yesterday. Felt better, though, when a pair of bullfinches appeared- only the second time ever in the garden. Pleasantly surprised, the weather wasn't really bad enough to force them into garden- feeding, but good to see anyway.

So, a drop of 3 greenfinches, but I'd say on balance that the bullfinches made up for it.

Still a couple of Redpolls and 5 Siskins. With the continuing warm weather, I suspect they will soon disappear.

Sad day today. As I type this I'm watching 3 mature trees being massacred in a garden opposite :-C It looks like one will not survive at all, which is a real shame. The Magpies gather there early morning and evening and its also where a Song Thrush sings every morning. We've even got used to him now and sleep through it.

Still a couple of Redpolls and 5 Siskins. With the continuing warm weather, I suspect they will soon disappear.

Sad day today. As I type this I'm watching 3 mature trees being massacred in a garden opposite :-C It looks like one will not survive at all, which is a real shame. The Magpies gather there early morning and evening and its also where a Song Thrush sings every morning. We've even got used to him now and sleep through it.

I suspect your Song Thrush will remain nearby, as it is clearly holding territory, so you should still get the pleasure of its dawn chorus.

CB

We had 4 Buzzards over the garden today 3 males all competing for the lone female,giving us a fine veiw of flying skills as the weaved,spun and dived all around her,she was not interested though if one got to close she went for him,who"d be a Buzzard.....ME

We had 4 Buzzards over the garden today 3 males all competing for the lone female,giving us a fine veiw of flying skills as the weaved,spun and dived all around her,she was not interested though if one got to close she went for him,who"d be a Buzzard.....ME

Not had any Buzzard records for the garden this year.

CB

sad news Bongo, still amazes how some people can undo 40+ years of growth in a single afternoon.

female Sparrowhawk through and 2 Lesser Redpoll hanging on in here despite the very mild weather

Sorry to say guys but sometimes there is no option to take trees down. Last year we had to have virtually 2 full Ash trees polled right down to 20 feet or so and the trunks are still rotten. We had Mistle Thrushes nesting in one of them and signs of Bats but they had to go or fall on the house one day in high winds. A few weeks ago a few feet from the Ash trunks a very large conifer fell over in the high wind and but for the trunk of one of those Ashes it would have come down on the roof of the house. We had to get permission from Tree Preservation section of the council to do it first though. Fine of up to £20,000 if you don't get permission first.

2 LTTs

The mild weather continues to encourage the birds to look for food over wider territories and thats how it should be.

As a comparison this winter Vs last Winter. Feb 2011 the Lesser Redpolls were still hitting my feeders at 40+ on alot of days and 30+ Guaranteed most days. This week the numbers have crashed to 1 or 2 birds only.

Strange how it goes BFB,the Redpolls did not arrive till march here last year,this year even though it is milder they have come early with three here today,two yesterday and sat with the odd one or two over the last fortnight,

Strange how it goes BFB,the Redpolls did not arrive till march here last year,this year even though it is milder they have come early with three here today,two yesterday and sat with the odd one or two over the last fortnight,

your right Hz

Localisation of visitor movements will certainly give differing results, but the overall trend across the country will be showing less feeder action.

On the subject of mild weather affecting species, I have really missed the Waxwings this year :-C

Sorry to say guys but sometimes there is no option to take trees down.

Yes, I agree there are cases when trees have to come down. In the case of the trees opposite me there is no justification, particularly as they survived the 'hurricane' of 2nd Jan. In fact lots of front garden trees seem to be getting removed around this area only to be replaced by lovely tones of pinkish block paving. How attractive....

Thankfully, all 3 trees remain today, 1 fully intact, 1 mostly intact, but brutally savaged at the lower branches, and the other is a trunk with just the upper branches remaining. Presumably a taller ladder is being procured in time for next weekend. I'm pleased to report that the Magpies still perched there at dawn and dusk today.

Enough of Treegate for today....

Now I agree about concreting and flagging, not necessary to remove everything to put it in. Check there are no tree preservation orders on them!

Last edited:
Well the collard doves have been feeding a lot on the tray feeders, and spring is here soon. There getting all stocked up!! :)

Last edited:
Think I'll post something after a long, long time!

Been having irregular Reed Buntings in the garden for last week or so. Bullfinches everyday. Lots of various tits, blackbirds et al. Had calling Tawny Owl too last week (calling to about 5 others in the area!)

Think I'll post something after a long, long time!

Been having irregular Reed Buntings in the garden for last week or so. Bullfinches everyday. Lots of various tits, blackbirds et al. Had calling Tawny Owl too last week (calling to about 5 others in the area!)

Welcome back Alex. Maybe a family party of Owls with five birds calling.

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back