• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very territorial grouse. (1 Viewer)

rhop

R. Hopkins
Whilst leaving work in my van last spring, I chanced upon a grouse standing in the middle of the road, (Blue or Spruce, I'm not sure). It was exhibiting typical grouse behavior by not moving very fast as I approached it at 30 km/hr. In fact, it was not moving at all. I slowed to a crawl as I got near and edged the van close to it, hoping to persuade it to leave the busy road. I watched out my window, expecting to see the bird ambling off to the grass at the side. The grouse was no where to be seen however, so I stopped the van and slowly opened the door. The grouse was still in the same spot. It was obviously not intimidated by my tactic and stood there with its head cocked to one side as it stared at me. I could hear an approaching car so I got out of the van to shoo the bird off the road. I bent over, waving my arms slowly in front of me, and voiced my opinion that it should get off the road. It seemed not to understand this more direct hint either though. We began circling each other, the grouse cooing, and me continuing to tell it to get off the road. The sound of the car began to get louder. My van was blocking one lane of the road and the grouse and I were blocking the other. I dodged quickly towards the bird hoping to startle it but it just as quickly dodged behind me a few steps up the road and stopped again. It appeared to be a stalemate. The approaching car was now in view and it began to slow down as the driver saw the van, the bird, and me blocking her path. It appeared that the driver of the car was well aware of the grouse so I felt confident that I could drive my van over to the shoulder of the road to let her pass between me and the grouse. I'd get back out and deal with the grouse after. I turned around and was making my way quickly back to the van when the grouse attacked. I never saw it coming, and it made several sharp stabs at my leg as I was getting into the driver's seat. I was startled and flabbergasted but only mildly in pain.
The car passed by slowly, and I could see that the occupants were laughing. It must have appeared to them that the bird had the upper hand and had chased me back into my van. I opened the window to see if the grouse was still there. It wasn't, so I cautiously got out and walked to the back. I caught a glimpse of its head bobbing in the grass at the shoulder of the road so I assumed that the bird would be safe there for a while.
I continued on my way and wondered what had made the grouse so defensive of a piece of asphalt. Grouse can be seen on both sides of this road in the spring and summer, sometimes with their young ones, so perhaps their territory straddles the road. The grouse may have had chicks nearby at the time I drove by, and interpreted my actions as a territorial threat. When I turned around to go back to my van, it saw it's chance and launched a successful counter offensive. I was chased out of sight, and it felt comfortable to continue its normal business.

Mabel said:
Did you see the Capercaille in Life of Birds? Grouse seem to go NUTS!
Hi Mable,
I've seen a few episodes of the series but not that one. Will have to watch for a re-broadcast.

We had a pair of half-tame Whooper swans here a few years ago that would attack anything that moved, including pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists and rafters on the river.

rhop said:
Hi Mable,
We had a pair of half-tame Whooper swans here a few years ago that would attack anything that moved, including pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists and rafters on the river.

Hey

Swans?! Now THAT'S a different matter. Swans are powerful enough to knock people over, powerful enough to break bones. Tameness ain't too good, eh?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back