• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vesper or Brewer's Sparrow - Vantage WA USA (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

Saw this bird in a sage brush area. Both are know to be in this spot. I was certainly hearing Brewer's Sparrow singing but not Vesper. This bird look a bit different than others I saw.

What do you think Brewer's or Vesper and why?

Thanks for you help.

Doug

Attachments

• brsp.jpg
    brsp.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 65
  • brsp-2.jpg
    brsp-2.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 60
  • brsp-3.jpg
    brsp-3.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 54
Definitely a spizella, but it looks too dull for a Clay-colored, especially since they should be in breeding plumage right now. Brewer's show some variation, and while this one is at the brighter end of the spectrum, it's not outside the range of variation. I'd expect a buffier face with a more contrasting white malar and darker crown for a spring Clay-colored. While not unheard of, they are also pretty uncommon in eastern Washington, especially in the spring.

The dark malar stripe is kind of making me think Clay-colored, as is the (apparent) lack of streaks on the nape. I think the streaks on the "nape" are actually part of the crown.

Thanks for reviewing this guys. Brewer's is certainly the more expected one. I don't think a single Clay-colored has been reported yet this season in WA state.

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The complete eyering and streaked rump are spot on for Brewers. Vesper would have rufous lesser wing coverts, the OP bird has grey, and Clay-colored would have a stronger contrast between the crown and the rest of the head, a whiter sub-moustachial / malar and an unstreaked, contrasting brown rump.

The complete eyering and streaked rump are spot on for Brewers. Vesper would have rufous lesser wing coverts, the OP bird has grey, and Clay-colored would have a stronger contrast between the crown and the rest of the head, a whiter sub-moustachial / malar and an unstreaked, contrasting brown rump.

Agreed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back