• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage and Classic Binoculars (2 Viewers)

Very good condition.
Maybe a local name to your area. I haven't seen this name before.
Standard Japanese 8x30 , 3 element eyepieces maybe, although I cannot see any coatings.
Only worth £25 or so, should be cleaned before fungus develops, but not cost effective unless local repairs are low cost.

Regards,
B.

Ernst Abbe Jena Binoculars

Good morning everyone,

I recently obtained binoculars and was looking for some help on potentially identifying the age of them. They are labeled at “Ernst Abbe” with “Jena” underneath Ernst Abbe. On the other side shows the magnification “P8x30.” Also shows the serial number “2619695.” From the little research I did I was able to find that Ernst Abbe was born 23 January 1840 and was a physicist. Also Abbe was a professor at the University of Jena.

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Bradmustafa, post 345,
Dr. Ernst Abbe was scientific director and of THE most influencial optical designers of the Zeiss company in the 19th century both for microscopy as well as for binocular-telescope designs. In my opinion he would be a candidate for a Nobel prize, but he died before they came into being.
Gijs van Ginkel

Soviet and Russian leather is not always good.
The Foton binoculars that I have still smell very badly maybe from the curing of the leather or the glue even though I've had them perhaps 14 years from new. If it wasn't for this I would use them a lot more.

And some Chinese camera cases smell appallingly. How on earth anybody could use them I don't know. I just chucked the cases in the bin, although the cameras still smell a bit from being in the cases.
In Russia and China, the leather is frequently made out of animals other than cows. I'll spare you the discussion on the sources because it will turn your stomach. In Russia, it isn't nearly as bad as China. In China, they will literally use anything they can find. I will not own anything leather from China. I will take my chances with Russian leather though.

Hi Brad (post #345),

For some information on the great Ernst Abbe, see an official Zeiss history
It was originally in a 2005 edition of the Zeiss publication Innovation, marking 100 years since Abbe's death

John

Attachments

• Abbe A.jpg
    Abbe A.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Abbe B.jpg
    Abbe B.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Abbe C.jpg
    Abbe C.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Abbe D.jpg
    Abbe D.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Abbe from Innovation #15.pdf
    760.4 KB · Views: 2
In Russia and China, the leather is frequently made out of animals other than cows. I'll spare you the discussion on the sources because it will turn your stomach. In Russia, it isn't nearly as bad as China. In China, they will literally use anything they can find. I will not own anything leather from China. I will take my chances with Russian leather though.
The smelliest pair I own is an ancient Huet 8x30 (IF w/ reticle) in it's military metal case. One of these days when I get the time, I'll put a clothespin on my nose and see if I can discover the exact source and hopefully do something about it. Until then, they remain sealed.

Hello,

My binocular with the worst smell was a US Army 6x30. It reeked of tobacco. I wonder if soldiers had used the case, a rubberized case, as a receptacle for cigarette butts or as they say in the US Nav, " butt kit." It did eventually air out.

Stay safe,
Arthur

My binocular with the worst smell was a US Army 6x30. It reeked of tobacco. I wonder if soldiers had used the case, a rubberized case, as a receptacle for cigarette butts or as they say in the US Nav, " butt kit." It did eventually air out.

Hi,

never have smoked, but extrapolating from my comrades during my military services who did (and tossed the butts), I would expect that they kept their tobacco or cigarettes in there to keep them dry...

Joachim

I have a pair of Komz 8x30 I bought from the Salvation Army. The bins are fine, but the case is in the garage, it smelt of bad meat when acquired and still smells unsavoury (mouldy) now. Possibly after 20 something years it should be discarded.

I have a pair of Komz 8x30 I bought from the Salvation Army. The bins are fine, but the case is in the garage, it smelt of bad meat when acquired and still smells unsavoury (mouldy) now. Possibly after 20 something years it should be discarded.

Hi,

maybe clean thoroughly with saddle soap (assuming it is leather) and then lots of fresh air to dry?

Joachim

Hi,

maybe clean thoroughly with saddle soap (assuming it is leather) and then lots of fresh air to dry?

Joachim
A good idea, I've ordered a kilo of saddle soap, I have a couple of tired Zeiss, Zeiss Jena cases, as well. It won't be wasted, perhaps I'll clean my old music case as well. A little job for the remainder of lockdown. A dose of solar radiation to kill mould spores would be good too. Unfortunately just at the moment solar radiation is in short supply.

Will

Last edited:
A couple of my older ones..

Scope Over-Field 9x35..
uuCVPE5.jpg

eKQa8CN.jpg

Jena 8x30..
cn8I0mJ.jpg

Steinheil 8x40
8lo25iM.jpg

9Iy5HH4.jpg

Swallow 15x80
kDrxq6n.jpg

Super Tecnar 12x50
gqectVZ.jpg

Komz 8x30
w967zlZ.jpg

And 7x50
K2tdny4.jpg

Swift Ascot 8x30
Ua4hSQc.jpg

Omiya 10x50
cUnlhAA.jpg

Yashica 8x40
ASSlsdl.jpg

mwJvtQH.jpg

Swift Trilyte 8x40
qbKOf6i.jpg

HfCgPxT.jpg

Citation 8x30
CckCtIF.jpg

John 👍

Hi John,

Nice selection.

What is the exit pupil size on the Swallow 15x80 CF binocular?
Any idea of the field size also?

Castor to Pollux in Gemini are almost exactly 4.5 degrees apart.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Nice selection.

What is the exit pupil size on the Swallow 15x80 CF binocular?
Any idea of the field size also?

Castor to Pollux in Gemini are almost exactly 4.5 degrees apart.

Regards,
B.

Hi Binsatro

Sorry, I don't know the exit pupil size but the fov is just 3.5°
jc62b7a.jpg

B0GgHhH.jpg

EDIT, I looked up how to work out how to find the exit pupil, Apparently it's just the objective lens divided by the mag so it's 5.33mm!!

John 🙂

Last edited:
Hi John,

Is the exit pupil at the back of the eyepiece smaller than 5.3mm, i.e is the binocular vignetted inside?

Is the exit pupil round or cut off by the prisms?

I am just trying to find out whether the working aperture is less than 80mm.

A high quality 8x42 binocular probably has 5.25mm round exit pupils.
A comparison side by side with the 15x80 would show any difference.

Regards,
B.

Hi John,

Is the exit pupil at the back of the eyepiece smaller than 5.3mm, i.e is the binocular vignetted inside?

Is the exit pupil round or cut off by the prisms?

I am just trying to find out whether the working aperture is less than 80mm.

A high quality 8x42 binocular probably has 5.25mm round exit pupils.
A comparison side by side with the 15x80 would show any difference.

Regards,
B.

Hi B

I just had a look, They look a similar size to my Nikon Monarchs but I can make out a squared shape with corners up and down within a round shape!

I'm wondering if I could catch it with my camera :unsure:

John 🙂

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back