• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage and Classic Binoculars (14 Viewers)

Just tried taking a few pics, This is about the best, Not sure if you can see what I mean, The square surrounds the circle!

9IxnAtR.jpg

John 👍

Yes John,
Photos might show it.

It is likely the true aperture is somewhat smaller than 80mm.
If one puts say a ruler in front of the edge of an objective then one can see when the exit pupil begins to cut off as the ruler is moved inwards.

It may be that the old Zeiss Jena 10x50 has genuine 5mm round exit pupils.
IQ means first quality.

Regards,
B.

The exit pupil of the 15x80 shown in your photo is pretty good with very little cut off from the prism.

Many older binoculars have much more cut off, especially wide angle eyepiece binoculars.

The 15x80 is probably a useful low light binocular if it is clean inside
Although the coatings may be not so good, with possibly uncoated prisms?

I suppose it has simple 3 element eyepieces.

I suppose it weighs about 2.4Kg?

Regards,
B.

The exit pupil of the 15x80 shown in your photo is pretty good with very little cut off from the prism.

Many older binoculars have much more cut off, especially wide angle eyepiece binoculars.

The 15x80 is probably a useful low light binocular if it is clean inside
Although the coatings may be not so good, with possibly uncoated prisms?

I suppose it has simple 3 element eyepieces.

I suppose it weighs about 2.4Kg?

Regards,
B.
Hi Binastro, I'll get the scales out and weigh them tomorrow 👍 , There's the start of a fungal bloom on the inside of one of the objective lenses unfortunately!

It's at 6 o'clock in this pic..
zt5iU8q.jpg

Hey John,
Nice collection. If I'm not mistaken the Komz 8x30 has an 8° FOV. Great piece of kit.
Jack

Hi Jack, I've two 8x30 Komz and love them, One is like new, The other is like it was used for a football but is optically very good!!, It had the orange filter things over the eyepieces, I think they were there from new so it saved the ocular lenses!!
IvKk5mC.jpg

IUxZxJO.jpg

Cheers, John (y)

FrankD already did that ;). See a few threads below "Revisiting the Classic Porro". Frank has a good number, I have 15 or so and I think it is a marvelous idea. Through PM's generated from that thread several have already asked for a Vintage Porro sub forum. I don't know about anybody else but my requests did not even draw a reply.

This might be a good time to let the Powers that Be know there may be (or not) enough interest in the subject.

:t:
Great minds think alike! I had the same idea. Threads or individual posts about porros are often embedded in brand subforums that contain mostly threads/posts about roofs. BF's improved search engine makes it easier to find references to porros you're looking for, but it would great to have a separate subforum for porros lovers. I had around 15 at one time, now I'm down to eight, having gleaned my collection to make room for roofs.

I have a pair of Audubon HR5's as my main birding Bin and an Audubon 828 for Astronomy. Just picked up a Nikon 7X35 E (C) for those longer hikes. I also have a pair of Swift 7X42 Ultralites with too much E/R for me that the Nikon will replace so I'll be selling the Ultralites.

Attachments

• HR5.jpg
    HR5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 828-2.jpg
    828-2.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 7X35.jpg
    7X35.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • UL2.JPG
    UL2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
I have a pair of Audubon HR5's as my main birding Bin and an Audubon 828 for Astronomy. Just picked up a Nikon 7X35 E (C) for those longer hikes. I also have a pair of Swift 7X42 Ultralites with too much E/R for me that the Nikon will replace so I'll be selling the Ultralites.
The Ultralites are sold and have a nice pair of Nikon 8X38 E (C) on the way so I'll have to do a comparo with my 7X35 E (C)

What a nice collection, I wouldn't mind having any of the Porro, especially the last two ones. I missed the sale of the Ultralites. I have a Vixen Ultima 7x50 which is also JB-56 and probably with similar coatings and performance and simply love them, so an even smaller and lighter version must be really very nice. I see the 8x42 and 10x42 coming up quite regularly on sale, but the 7x42 are a more elusive creature.

What a nice collection, I wouldn't mind having any of the Porro, especially the last two ones. I missed the sale of the Ultralites. I have a Vixen Ultima 7x50 which is also JB-56 and probably with similar coatings and performance and simply love them, so an even smaller and lighter version must be really very nice. I see the 8x42 and 10x42 coming up quite regularly on sale, but the 7x42 are a more elusive creature.
There's a pair of 7X42's on Flea Bay

It was very nice to find this sub forum. I have, so far, 14 pairs and a number are from manufacturers that may not be in business anymore. My Swifts, #704, 7 x 35, were a nice auction find. It was the extra wide view that I wanted. I also have pairs from Olympus, Kogo, and Hilton.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back