• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex vs. Prostaff (1 Viewer)

Excellent...best of luck with it. I'm sure you'll be pleased. Keep us up to date with your impressions and your digiscoping efforts.

John-Had another look at your pictures and like the Blue Heron.Can you tell me where what how?The foliage really sets it off.
Digiscoping --Hope to hear from Vandit about the adapter.I will have to get adapter and camera.Lots of info out there maybe too much.Makes it difficult to decide. Bob
BTW took the scope in the yard much better than looking through the window but too cold

Order all the eye pieces you need, then measure the diameter on those. The adapter should say what works with it. If it is all Vortex stuff, no problem, but then pick a camera carefully. Big lenses, diameter (like SLR) may have problems.

Thanks Bob. Actually, I took the photo of the great blue heron in my 'local patch' as it's termed here on BF. I live in Haddonfield, NJ just 10 miles east of Philadelphia. The Cooper River runs long the edge of town flowing west towards the Delaware River. I bird along the Cooper River quite often since it's only 0.5 miles from my house. The GBH was photographed on the opposite bank of the Cooper River. We have one or two there most of the year. We also have a pair of belted kingfishers that I have yet to capture a really decent photo of. The red-tailed hawk photo was also taken at the Cooper River at a spot less than a mile from my house. The bald eagles were photographed along the Cooper in Camden, NJ about 5 miles away.

I used the Vortex Skyline 80 scope and the digiscoping setup cited in posts #10 & #14 above to photograph the GBH. It was only about 100 ft away so I probably was at 30X zoom on the scope and just enough zoom on the Fuji to eliminate vignetting. I use the aperture priority setting. There's plenty of suggestions here on BF about the preferable settings for different digital cameras that are optimal for digiscoping.

I like the Fuji F31fd digital camera but it's tough to come by here in the USA. I was lucky and ordered mine from a camera store in NYC at a really good price ($200 probably gray market). The Canon A95 is a good camera as well and highly praised here on BF. You can get one used on ebay for under $100. The Nikon P5100 seems to be the modern digital camera of choice for digiscoping but I didn't want to spend the $350+ on it.

For an adapter, either start with the Baader adapter like the Vortex version at Eagle Optics (about $50). That's how I started in digiscoping. Or...get the new Vortex Mk1 adapter (about $120). But I didn't like it all that much so I returned it. Or...make your own (about $0 to $30). I still use and will continue to use my homemade adapter since it works the best for me.

Sorry, I got carried away. Please let me know if there's anything you want to know that I didn't cover.

PS. it doesn't look like the weather is going to be better for you tomorrow or Saturday with the snow storm pushing through. :C

Tero-- I went for the Skyliner ED.Thanks for the heads up on camera/large lens.

John--Think I'll get a camera first then adapter.Beliec the local shop has the MK1
will see if they carry Baader style.Right on about the weather. Bob

Hi,
Mrbobb I'm also looking into getting the Vortex with ED but have not been able to look through one locally. How do you find the difference between the ED and non ED versions since you were able to do a side by side comparison?

thanks

Hi- I am new to using spotting scopes.From inside the store and looking out on a sunny
day I found the ED was somewhat brighter.Last couple of days it's been cloudy here
and I think that brightness is a improvement over the non ED.This will probably be my
only scope and after many reviews here and some solid advice I went for the ED.
I plan on learning to digiscope and just to enjoy what it gives me. Hope you do too-Bob

I went with the Vortex 80mm -ED as well. I bought the Mk1 adapter but I also have the problem where the tripod mount is on the extreme left hand side of the camera that I own. (Canon Power shot A520) so I have the same issue as JohnJos. I wish I had paid more attention to the details of the adapter part of the discussion. |=(|
JohnJos, How did you get the mk1 to "almost" work on your camera with the left side mount?

thanks, trex

Trex,
Hmmm, this will be difficult to describe. You basically have to remove the adjustable ring that is on the platform (and connects to the tube that connects to the scope) and flip it 180 degrees so that it faces right instead of left when (looking at it from the back of the camera). That's a mouth full. Look at the attached pictures while reading the steps below:

1. Remove the top screw, thumbwheel, ring clip and o-ring from the top of the vertical adjusting screw.
2. Unscrew the mounting ring completely from the vertical adjusting screw.
3. Rotate the mounting ring 180 degrees in the plane of the ring.
4. Screw the ring back onto the vertical adjusting screw.
5. Replace the o-ring and ring clip.
6. Move the ring and vertical adjusting screw assembly to the other side of the stage using the horizontal adjusting screw.
7. Mount camera and align with the ring.
8. Perform alignment per the instructions.

You may have to move the vertical adjusting screw assembly earlier in the sequence in order to fit everything together. Basically you are creating a mirror image of the adapter by doing this procedure, as shown in the second picture above. I discussed this with Vortex tech support before I did it and had their blessing to go ahead and try it out.

Unfortunately it did not work for me. I was able to mount my Fuji F31 and get the lens in alignment with the scope's eyepiece. I just couldn't remove all vignetting for some reason. I also felt there was too much play in the adjusting screws and I didn't like how jerky the telescoping sleeve was that is used for adjusting the distance between the camera and the eyepiece. I think that's part of the reason I could never eliminate all vignetting. Part of the problem may have been my camera as well.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, it's easy to put back to its original configuration.

(Thanks Vortex for the images & the your help in testing this workaround)

Attachments

• dca_mk1_on_skyline.jpg
    dca_mk1_on_skyline.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 134
  • dca_mk1_parts.jpg
    dca_mk1_parts.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 123
JohnJos, Your instructions make sense. I think I'll send mine back too. I think it will be too much of a kluge for that much money. I also was worried about how that shaky extension would work.

I think I'll either try to make one as you did or try one of the other types. I think the edge of camera tripod mount may be an issue with all of the platform based adapters. I hope I have time to make one before a big upcoming family trip.

thanks for your help!

trex

Trex,

Switching the ring is not so much a kludge as a reconfiguration. Really, Vortex could produce the Mk1 in either configuration and you would never know the difference. Another issue with the Mk1 and a camera with the tripod mount at its far end are the thick foam pads they put on their stage. They tend to compress differentially when you tighten down the tripod mounting screw causing the camera to tilt. I think they should use thin firm rubber pads. Nonetheless, it's a pretty nicely made piece of kit overall and should work nicely in most situations. I do like the ability to take off the camera while still having the adapter mount in place. It makes normal viewing easy and digiscoping just as easy.

The Vortex Universal Adapter (or another similar adapter...I have a Zhummel) works well enough and is cheap enough that you could get one and use it for your trip. The large size is required for the Skyline eyepiece. I started out digiscoping with adapter. It works well but is a bit of a pain to remove and reattach at the correct location on the eyepiece. However, using this universal adapter will give you time to build your own afterwards or find another solution.

Best of luck.

Just to let folks know - I ordered the Vortex Mk1 adapter - it should get here by next week.

I am off on a tiger photo tour till the 22nd, so wont get a chance to use it before that - but I am going to Eagles Nest NP for 4 days directly after. Was torn between taking a scope and taking the 500 (NO way I walk at 3000m with both), but now I am going to take the scope and try my hand at digiscoping.

Will post a report on my experiences by the end of this month (and feel free to send me a gentle nudge via PM if i dont do so by early April).

Cheers,
Vandit

Have a most enjoyable time Vandit. Sounds like a couple of wonderful excursions. We'll await your return to hear about your digiscoping experiences. Take care, John

Hi All- Bought a Canon 570IS and Vortex MK1 adapter.Camera is fine but unhappy with the adapter.Had to chang the adapter around to accept the camera and still could not get enough bearing on plate.Then drilled through the blind 1/4 -20 hole and put adapter back in original postion.Not enough trvel to line up camera.Switch again.T find the adapter flexes too much.So now the question I have is.Has anyone used the Baader
6030 adapter or the SRB-griturn for the Vortex SkyLiner? Bob

Bob,
I used a Baader clone before I made my own adapter. I purchased it here:
http://www.spottingscopes.com/spott...universaldigiscopingadaptersmall.cfm#navbar=a
but you need the large vs. the small and they don't list the large anymore it appears.

It worked fine. Very adjustable so it was not a problem in getting the camera set up properly. It's just awkward to carry & use. Somewhat difficult to remove and replace each time you train the scope of a new bird. Basically the reason I chose to make my own adapter (even though it did not eliminate some of thiese problems but it made them more bearable).

John Assume you focus scope then clamp adapter to scope?
Waiting to hear how Vandit made out with his MK1.I thought it flimsy.
SRB Griturn has one with cable release adapter.Have contacted them but
they do not have any info on SkyLiner. Sent them what info I could and picture of scope
Bob
Have aCooper's Hawk in the area doing a great job on pigeons

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back