• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vote for the most famous BF bino contributor (1 Viewer)

Well, considering Jan's generous offer I vote for Brock just so he can have a $2500 binocular to rooooollllll home with this New Years.

;)

Dennis, what you said "I am glad Newfie is gone personally. I got tired of his endless ridiculous threads" is a classic example of the EGO defense mechanism, PROJECTION.

While there are numerous credible potential Bird Forum recipients, my vote would go to Frank. In around three weeks I will be getting a pair of Vixen Foresta 7x50 porros and I believe based on Frank's past history of astute suggestions that I will be more than satisfied with them.

Jan-

Nicely done! Very ( extremely actually ) generous offer.

In fact it probably will make you the most famous "contributor". :t:

Stephen I agree 100%

Dennis I think your post #103 is one of the worst posts I have ever read. I think this shows your character and it is not good. You don't have to read Newfie's posts or threads he started, just like we don't have to read your threads, flip flops etc.

Last edited:
Stephen I agree 100%

Dennis I think your post #103 is one of the worst posts I have ever read. I think this shows your character and it is not good. You don't have to read Newfie's posts or threads he started, just like we don't have to read your threads, flip flops etc.

Couldn't have said it any better Steve, thanks. Bryce...

Let's see what we have...

An offer to loan an unknown person a $2400 binocular for the period of one year with the expectation they will transfer possession to the following year's winner. Winners will be chosen by an absent poster who posed a rather silly online popularity contest and then left the scene shortly thereafter OR by a count of references in the current list of postings.

However, if the OP doesn't show up to select a winner one of the unknown supermoderators will choose OR we can call the event it closed and simply count references. Then, after we all agree on the winner, the bin can be picked up at a Swarovski dealership. And there won't be any problems.

I gotta admit I love this forum. Frankly ( I hope that's a tally for you, FrankD), I haven't laughed so hard in many months.

Happy Thanksgiving...

PS
A generous offer to be sure but one I would reconsider.

Last edited:
Let's see what we have...

An offer to loan an unknown person a $2400 binocular for the period of one year with the expectation they will transfer possession to the following year's winner. Winners will be chosen by an absent poster who posed a rather silly online popularity contest and then left the scene shortly thereafter OR by a count of references in the current list of postings.

However, if the OP doesn't show up to select a winner one of the unknown supermoderators will choose OR we can call the event it closed and simply count references. Then, after we all agree on the winner, the bin can be picked up at a Swarovski dealership. And there won't be any problems.

I gotta admit I love this forum. Frankly ( I hope that's a tally for you, FrankD), I haven't laughed so hard in many months.

Happy Thanksgiving...

PS
A generous offer to be sure but one I would reconsider.

Whoaa! taht's overcomplicatin' things waaay too much!! :brains:

Just send them 'downunder' to me :loveme: ............ to start the first leg of a global tour! 3:)

They'll be perfect :cat: - an I won't have any issues with 'rolling ball' :bounce: or 'bulldust'! :eek!:

They'll get a 'fair dinkum' rap :scribe: and you'll put a smile on ma dial o:D
(which sure beats the alternative!) :-C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akt3P8ltLM

Chosun :gh:

To all.

A small explanation how things go. We sell since 1993 optics and a few years ago I ordered from Bin Best his book "Binoculars and people" and on page 63 he comes up with a story of giving new life to old binoculars. We adopted that story. We set up an foundation that collects old (defect) an not more in any use bino's and telescopes.
Leica and Bushnell supported that foundation from the beginning and Leica gave me the opportunity to learn in Solms at Leica Customer Service the ins and outs of dismantling and repairing optics. Bushnell supports it still by donating and advising. Now adays those project bino's go over the whole world, from bird watchinggroups in Mauretanië to schoolkids in Bonaire. Every project has media exposure leading to more donations to us so we can support more projects. This foundation is strict for non commercial and educational projects.
Let's put this 'small" donation under the number education, to stimulate the great things you all make possible. Sharing information on a way what was described perfectly earlier.
Stories for round the campfire, ego to ego contests, analyses to the bone etc.

OK, back to business:
The Newfie contest.
A suggestion is to vote from now untill december 12 2012 and if there will be a draw I will pop up with a binocular question and the first good answer makes the winning lady/man.

Can everybody live with this?
If not, please feal free!

Jan

To all.

A small explanation how things go. We sell since 1993 optics and a few years ago I ordered from Bin Best his book "Binoculars and people" and on page 63 he comes up with a story of giving new life to old binoculars. We adopted that story. We set up an foundation that collects old (defect) an not more in any use bino's and telescopes.
Leica and Bushnell supported that foundation from the beginning and Leica gave me the opportunity to learn in Solms at Leica Customer Service the ins and outs of dismantling and repairing optics. Bushnell supports it still by donating and advising. Now adays those project bino's go over the whole world, from bird watchinggroups in Mauretanië to schoolkids in Bonaire. Every project has media exposure leading to more donations to us so we can support more projects. This foundation is strict for non commercial and educational projects.
Let's put this 'small" donation under the number education, to stimulate the great things you all make possible. Sharing information on a way what was described perfectly earlier.

OK, back to business:
The Newfie contest.
A suggestion is to vote from now untill december 12 2012 and if there will be a draw I will pop up with a binocular question and the first good answer makes the winning lady/man.

Jan

Jan,

Sounds like a great program. There was something similar in the US a while back. I think Swift ran it or sponsored it. As I recall there was an added incentive, if you donated a bin, they gave you a discount on the purchase of a new Swift bin.

What would be a nice addition to that project is to take inner city kids to the country to watch birds. I'm impressed with how many species Arthur has seen in Central Park, but most kids in Harlem have probably never looked through a birding bin, and the only birds they've seen are pigeons! So it would a great way for city kids to get in touch with nature and develop an appreciation for an environment that was not made of steel and concrete. Something like the Fresh Air Program, but geared toward birding and nature observation:

http://www.the-leader.com/news/x1849219157/NYC-kids-arrive-for-Fresh-Air-program

As to the contest, do the new rules mean that the votes a member had prior to today are no longer counted? IOW, our counters are reset and we start from 0?

Brock

Last edited:
It's just a suggestion, because no one stept forward to take the lead. So there are two ways:
We count the nominee's on the tread 'till now, or we count them from now 'till december 12 (just to pick a date to get the Swarovski on time for this year).
If we get an consensus on this I'm ok with everything, otherwise the most simple count wil be the last option: name and reason. If there is a draw I will pop up with an binocular question and the first right answer on this Forum becomes the winner.
I leave it up to you guy's.

Jan

To all.

OK, back to business:
The Newfie contest.

Jan

How does one contact that foundation to donate binoculars to it? I would assume they also take newer, less expensive but still very usable binoculars?

Bob

It's just a suggestion, because no one stept forward to take the lead. So there are two ways:
We count the nominee's on the tread 'till now, or we count them from now 'till december 12 (just to pick a date to get the Swarovski on time for this year).
If we get an consensus on this I'm ok with everything, otherwise the most simple count wil be the last option: name and reason. If there is a draw I will pop up with an binocular question and the first right answer on this Forum becomes the winner.
I leave it up to you guy's.

Jan

Jan,

Wiping the slate clean doesn't seem fair to those who have already voted or have already been nominated. I think those votes should count. Even Florida counted all the votes. ;)

OTOH, we now have people casting votes for themselves like Ron (whom I nominated earlier), who didn't take the contest seriously before since there was no prize (except an Uncle Toonose No Prize :).

With more at stake now, the thread will likely attract nominations from a broader sample of BF members. So those members should also get a chance to vote. I could be shooting myself in the foot here, because I was one of the front runners, but it seems like the right thing to do in light of the change in outcome for the winner.

Accordingly, my suggestion is that we count the votes already cast and the votes cast until Dec. 12 and tally up the total so everybody gets a fair shot.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock,
You make a point when you say that there is now something at stake.
In the earlier "votinground" 1 person could give (and some did) votes to different members for different reasons. THE only reason for selection should be how Newfie described it at his/this thread. So one person gives one vote to the what he thinks is the overall best BF member.
Knowing now what the material appreciation for such a fact is (the Swarovski SV 10x50), makes the voting behaviour now probably different.
Jan

Bob,

We are happy with every donated bino in no matter what state.
The person who donates gets an donation form from us with an unique number and later on a message where that bino went to so he/she can follow that project.

Look at http://www.secondlifeoptics.nl. or http://www.houseofoutdoor.nl or else send me a mail at [email protected]

Jan

Thank you, Jan.

This information should be on a "Sticky" some where here. I wonder if it could be arranged?

Bob

To all.

It seems that mij spontanious action has several (legal) consequences of with I was totally unaware of. I am sorry if I put some false hope in some harts but it was in full integrity. I have to cancel my contribution (read: the Swarovski SV 10x50) to the contest.
Jan.

To all.

It seems that mij spontanious action has several (legal) consequences of with I was totally unaware of. I am sorry if I put some false hope in some harts but it was in full integrity. I have to cancel my contribution (read: the Swarovski SV 10x50) to the contest.
Jan.

Jan,

If it ain't the bean counters, it's the lawyers ruining it for everybody. :C

If OJ could get away with murder, Robert Shapiro could have easily overcome any legal hassles with your generous, out-of-the-box scheme to let a BF member try a $2400 bin for a year! I don't know Sharpiro, but I have interviewed another famous lawyer, Edgar Snyder, who might know him. ;)

I would have been happy to try the SV ELs for a month and then pass them along to the next "winner". A dozen members in the US could have tried the 10x50 SV EL in a year. Then you could have done the same thing on the other side of the pond.

Perhaps you could contact Swaro and see if they would sponsor a contest (with 12 winners chosen randomly rather than a popularity contest). Get the SV ELs in the hands of the "common people" rather than just the privileged few who got whisked off to Extremadura. "The rabble who do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die...." and try a pair of premium binoculars? ("It's a Wonderful Life" is on). ;)

They did something like this with the launch of the CL:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=206260

Well, thanks for the offer, it was a grand gesture.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock,

You do have the gift for words, but..... There is nobody to convince. It was mine (naïve) initiative and intendet donation. It became the Swarovski SV 10x50 because it is the best bin of the moment. By the way; Extramadura is old news, Hungary is the current time. Maybe you should contact Nikon? If somebody is an ambassador for that brand........
Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back